Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #1
Createsean

Default B&W - in camera or in photoshop

I really love B&W photography and when I had my film SLR I shot primarily in B&W but that was years ago. In any case I bought a new Canon 550D this week and am going to start shooting in B&W again but am wondering if it is best to shoot in B&W or shoot in color and change to B&W using photoshop.

Advice?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #2
Flores

Default Re: B&W - in camera or in photoshop

hard call. the nice thing about doing it in photoshop is that you still have a color image. on the other hand, if you aren't going to want color at all, letting the camera do the work makes sense.
Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of September 2010 (Fri)   #3
exwintech

Createsean - I'll go with Flores on this. If you use the options in the camera for B&W - they're quite limited.

If you get the best colour image you can, as Flores says, you do have the colour version to show folk who "prefer colour shots".

If you do camera JPEG, it's a 'lossy' format, so convert that to PSD or TIFF (lossless) - before working on it.

However, you're better to do RAW, trim-up the WB, etc, then save to TIFF. If you do 16-bit TIFF it leaves you more options in Photoshop, but 8-bit is quite usable.

I'm using Photoshop 7 (in Wine in Linux) - but the later CS versions will probably have even more options-choices.

You can use Channel Mixer, Levels and Curves. All 3 can address the RGB channels separately.

You might begin with Channel Mixer. Open that and in the dialog (bottom left in PS 7) - there's a check-box marked Monochrome. Tick that - and you can now use the sliders to adjust the R-G-B Channels separately.

You can get it "nearly right" - Save, then use Levels and Curves to fine-tune the midrange, shadows, depth, so on. You can do an interim Save between Tools, and go back to say, Channel Mixer, for more tweaking.

At any point where the image is "about right", or you like it, but also might like to try more options - you can do a 'Save As" - filename_1.tiff, filename_2.tiff, so on.

If you Google, there are many Tutorials on doing this, available.

Gimp users might note - there is now a Gimp Plugin with many, many, very detailed functions for image processing. G'MIC has 15 Sections, each with a list of options, many dialogs with sliders, etc, using, so far, 193 Filters. Also has Effects - mirror image, put image on sides of a 3D cube, and more.

It's available for Gimp in Windows 32-bit, Mac-Intel 32-bit (Leopard or Snow Leopard), and Linux 32 and 64 bit.

Google the G'MIC Site for info and shots of what it does.

Regards, Dave.
exwintech is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #4
Spacemunkie

I'd always shoot colour. So much can be done to the b&w conversion by tweaking your colour channels - you can drastically alter the image very quickly

I can thoroughly recommend Nik Silver Efex Pro for b&w processing as well. Pricey but has loads to offer anyone who is serious about b&w
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #5
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Createsean View Post
I really love B&W photography and when I had my film SLR I shot primarily in B&W but that was years ago. In any case I bought a new Canon 550D this week and am going to start shooting in B&W again but am wondering if it is best to shoot in B&W or shoot in color and change to B&W using photoshop.

Advice?
First: Shoot RAW. You can set the camera to monochrome and then see the image in monochrome on the LCD. But shoot in RAW to retain the color information.

Second: By retaining the color information, in Photoshop you can alter the spectrum relationship the same way you would by using color filters over the camera with BW film...but with much greater flexibility.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #6
Createsean

Lots of advice to shoot RAW. I'm thinking I'll use the Raw & Jpeg mode, but now I need to learn how to edit in RAW - any recommended tutorials? I'm using Photoshop BTW.
Old 19th of September 2010 (Sun)   #7
treck_dialect

i used to shoot b&w in-cam before and to my untrained eye, the pictures appeared "muddy" and almost appeared 2d as opposed to converting in PP. used a 400d btw.

http://aleccorpuz.wordpress.com/

Flickr
treck_dialect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of September 2010 (Sun)   #8
Flores

you don't really edit 'in raw', your image software will derive an image from the raw file. any changes you make will be saved into a different file format.
Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of September 2010 (Mon)   #9
710 Studio

Didn't read all of the replies, so sorry if I'm repeating:

What I would do is shoot in color - that way, if the shot looks great in color, I have that option at my fingers. Black & white settings in Photoshop are great! So many ways to make the smallest of changes in Photoshop, if needed. Shooting B&W in camera really narrows down your options. Anyway, that's my 2-cents in a nutshell.

Find me at:
Website | Flickr | DeviantArt | Facebook
710 Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of September 2010 (Tue)   #10
telephoto500

shoot in raw, lets you recover from over and under exposure better as it contains more information. that being said, raw is in color, therefore, shoot in color.
telephoto500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of September 2010 (Tue)   #11
wizcreations

+1 for Always shoot color, convert later. If you're shooting in RAW it doesn't matter though because your camera's LCD will show you B&W but the RAW file maintains all color information.
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #12
chauncey
Cream of the Crop

Funny that you should ask because I just got a recent purchase from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Black...7270936&sr=1-5
It has a lot of conversion hints for different types of photographs.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/chauncey43
chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #13
uOpt
Goldmember

You should always shoot in color. The reason is that the better image processing programs offer you different ways of deciding which color becomes which shade of grey. Even the base gimp with no new plugins has 3 different base options. I don't even want to know how many options that new plugin by the Greystoration guys has.

Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #14
uOpt
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwintech View Post
Gimp users might note - there is now a Gimp Plugin with many, many, very detailed functions for image processing. G'MIC has 15 Sections, each with a list of options, many dialogs with sliders, etc, using, so far, 193 Filters. Also has Effects - mirror image, put image on sides of a 3D cube, and more.

It's available for Gimp in Windows 32-bit, Mac-Intel 32-bit (Leopard or Snow Leopard), and Linux 32 and 64 bit.

Google the G'MIC Site for info and shots of what it does.

Regards, Dave.
Muhahaha. I thought that Greystoration was blowing everything Photoshop has to offer out of the water, but apparently these guys were just warming up. Thanks a lot, I don't know how I missed this.

Just the new unsharp mask with more parameters and better preview rocks. Quite a few more B&W options in there, too.
Old 10th of February 2012 (Fri)   #15
ChrisSearle

Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Always shoot in RAW, yes of course but occasionally a camera has a nice ( maybe slightly quirky) BW conversion algorithm, like the Ricoh GRD1. Its difficult to create the grittiness of this without a lot of faffing around in LR or PS.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2m.blogspot.in/
ChrisSearle is offline   Reply With Quote