Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #1
silly101963

Default adding your name to exif

i have seen some pics that when i checked EXIF data it showed the photographers name in it..
i have went through my 40d looking for something also the owners manual but cant find any info on how to do it??
silly101963 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #2
Panda_stunter

Default Re: adding your name to exif

i believe its gonna be under the copyright info on ur camera body. at least thats how it is on 7D. sorry that i cant be of much help since i dont have a 40D.
Gear List and Feedbacks MM#1909309
"Carpe DM Photography"
"The goal is to capture that certain moment that would tell its own story...no words required. Still trying." - Carpe DM photos (me)
Panda_stunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #3
lannes
Goldmember

You can add the copyright details like your name etc. in the EOS Utility application under the "Setup" menu
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #4
James Thomas 1975

Yes it's under the copyright info settings on the bodies that have it,or at least it is on the 7D as mentioned above.

I had a 40D before my 7D and as far as I can remember it doesn't have that option.
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #5
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Thomas 1975 View Post
Yes it's under the copyright info settings on the bodies that have it,or at least it is on the 7D as mentioned above.

I had a 40D before my 7D and as far as I can remember it doesn't have that option.
I've been able to enter this on my old 20D and 50D. I'm pretty sure it can be done on all Canon DSLR's
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #6
Josh_30

It's an option in the EOS utility, as stated before. I'm pretty sure I did it on my 40D before going to the 1D3.
GEAR LIST 5D Mark III/G11/60D/580EX II/430EX/430EX II/Tokina 10-17/17-35 2.8L/24-70 2.8L/24-105 4L IS/70-200 2.8L IS/EF 50 1.4/EF 85 1.8/TAMRON SP AF 1.4x/TAMRON SP AF 90 2.8 MACRO/Manfrotto 209 & 055XPROB/488RC2/GITZO 1541T/MARKINS Q3T
Josh_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #7
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"

I'm not sure if this 'Owner' field shows up in normal EXIF details - The OP may be talking about the 'Copyright' and/or 'Creator' fields you can edit in metadata in programs like Bridge or Lightroom??

(Short of hacking the file, you can't edit this 'owner' field in anything but EOS Utility as far as I know)
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #8
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_30 View Post
It's an option in the EOS utility, as stated before. I'm pretty sure I did it on my 40D before going to the 1D3.
It can be done through Zoombrowser as well.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2010 (Sat)   #9
Tom_D

The camera can be set using the EOS Utility with the camera connected to the computer. If done in this manner then the owner info is added to every image the camera takes. There may be other programs that can change this info in the camera but EOS Utility is what most Canon folks use.

The user info and other EXIF and IPTC/XMP data can also be added and edited with many programs specifically for the purpose as well as many photo viewing/editing programs.

My 40D writes a lot of info (including my name) to each image in the camera. I use Downloader Pro to add "job" specific info to a group of photos at import into the computer. I tweak and expand on this info in Lightroom. With RAW files the IPTC info get written to the XMP sidecar file. If the RAW file is converted to DNG the info gets written directly to the file and is one of the advantages of converting CR2 to DNG.
Old 20th of September 2010 (Mon)   #10
Panda_stunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight View Post
I'm not sure if this 'Owner' field shows up in normal EXIF details - The OP may be talking about the 'Copyright' and/or 'Creator' fields you can edit in metadata in programs like Bridge or Lightroom??

(Short of hacking the file, you can't edit this 'owner' field in anything but EOS Utility as far as I know)
like ive said, i dont have a 40D but in 7D, this is an in-camera option. i believe its more common now that the 7D, i also believe, the 5D2 has it as well.

when i use lightroom, i actually strip the metadata (when i want to) so it only shows my photography name...which is Carpe DM Photography.

I dont really use EOS Utility. but i will try using it when im gonna do some star trails and studio work to show the models the shot. so suffice to say, i dont have much experience using EOS Utility/Zoombrowser.
"Carpe DM Photography"
"The goal is to capture that certain moment that would tell its own story...no words required. Still trying." - Carpe DM photos (me)
Old 20th of September 2010 (Mon)   #11
DetlevCM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_stunter View Post
like ive said, i dont have a 40D but in 7D, this is an in-camera option. i believe its more common now that the 7D, i also believe, the 5D2 has it as well.

when i use lightroom, i actually strip the metadata (when i want to) so it only shows my photography name...which is Carpe DM Photography.

I dont really use EOS Utility. but i will try using it when im gonna do some star trails and studio work to show the models the shot. so suffice to say, i dont have much experience using EOS Utility/Zoombrowser.
The 5D MK II needs the EOS utility too. Has the 7D got a digital keyboard...
DetlevCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of September 2010 (Mon)   #12
navydoc
Cream of the Crop

Page 225 in the 7D manual:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pp225.jpg (149.9 KB, 399 views)
Old 20th of September 2010 (Mon)   #13
DetlevCM
Goldmember

OK, the 5D MK II does not do that.
DetlevCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of September 2010 (Mon)   #14
troutfisher

On a 40D.Plug the camera into your computer,start EOS utility,then Camera Settings /Remote shooting.Select the Tools tab (second tab)this is the setup menu and then select owners name and edit accordingly
Old 21st of September 2010 (Tue)   #15
Panda_stunter

thanks navydoc! i didnt want to have to search for it in the manual, so this works!
"Carpe DM Photography"