Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 14:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

530ex ii question.

Nmahooch
Goldmember
3,781 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 18, 2010 14:48 |  #1

I just got a 530ex ii, I am using it as a Master and triggering my 430ex. I am looking into
adding another light to my set up.

Will the 530ex ii trigger an Alien Bees B800 or other similar flash units wirelessly? Do I need a sync cable? is it recommended to use a sync cable?

Thank you.

http://phlotography.sm​ugmug.com/Nelson-Malave (external link)

sponsored links
klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 18, 2010 18:11 |  #2

i assume you mean 580exII. are you shooting ETTL or manual? ETTL won't mix well when adding a strobe. your camera won't be calculating all that extra light from the strobe.

the AB's have an optical trigger on them so technically the 580exII can trigger it. you'd set both the 580exII and AB manually. it gets messy once you want to add your 430ex into the mix. the speedlites need to communicate via the preflash which could set off the AB. sync cables would work, but it gives you something to trip on and you're still setting everything manually. instead of sync cables, you could buy some radio triggers for a wireless solution.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Nmahooch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,781 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 18, 2010 18:22 |  #3

I am shooting ETTL. So, If I add a strobe I should get some wireless triggers? How about the Yongnuo's?

Thanks for the advice.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 18, 2010 19:19 |  #4

yes, the RF-602 set would be a really cheap way to get into wireless triggering. you'll pretty much have to learn how to set everything manually if you want to mix different systems.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,988 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 18, 2010 19:24 |  #5

Keep in mind that there is a pretty significant disparity between the power of the strobes and the hotshoe flashes. Your speedlites are likely to be relegated to fill or kicker lights. I would also suggest you look at the cybersync's from the alien bee folks.

Patrick
596 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 18, 2010 19:29 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

I had trouble getting one AB to trigger the other AB. If I remember correctly, the AB site recommends using a transmitter and receiver. The Cybersyncs work great on AB as well as the 580EX2.

Bodies, Lenses, Lights, Stands, Transmitters, Receivers, Tripods, Meters, etc...

Nmahooch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,781 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 18, 2010 19:36 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #10933980 (external link)
Keep in mind that there is a pretty significant disparity between the power of the strobes and the hotshoe flashes. Your speedlites are likely to be relegated to fill or kicker lights. I would also suggest you look at the cybersync's from the alien bee folks.

Do I need receivers for the Speedlites also?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,988 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 18, 2010 19:43 |  #8

Nmahooch wrote in post #10934025 (external link)
Do I need receivers for the Speedlites also?

Yes you will. The canon wireless system and radio triggers are not particularly compatible. The canon system uses a preflash to communicate the signal the master and the slave. That preflash will trigger optical slaves like those found the bees, resulting in them firing out of sync. You can use the optical slave in the studio strobes to fire them in sync if the flash on your camera is in manual mode. If I'm inside I can get away with one reciever on the strobes, and one for each speedlite. Outside each strobe or speedlite gets its own.

sponsored links

2,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
530ex ii question.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.