Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of September 2010 (Wed)   #1
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Default Review: CityStrap steel cable strap

I'm a big fan of the Pacsafe 100 with its steel cables as an antitheft device. However, I came across this strap after using the Adapt-It connection devices on my 5D2.

I wanted to connect the C clasps directly to the Adapt-It with no 3/8" nylon webbing between. I carry the camera across my chest, on my hip. The Pacsafe is too short to do this without the webbing connections.

The CityStrap comes in 2 lengths: 54" like the Pacsafe, and 65". The longer strap allows me to connect the carabiner claps directly to the Adapt-Its. If you like, there are two 3/8" nylon webbing connectors with stainless steel rings for connection.

As with the Pacsafe, a 4" sleeve slides over the connection to conceal the attachment from prying eyes. They will slide down as well even if the webbing is not used, as in my case. Actually, I found the sleeves worked better inverted, with the elastic part down around the attachment to the camera. It stayed in place better that way.

This strap is heavy-duty ballistic nylon, very tough and very well-made, as is the PacSafe. It has a much more comfortable strap shoulder pad than the Pacsafe, better padded and wider at the shoulder. The carabiner claps are beefy metal, and I discovered that the new PacSafe 100 (re-named CarrySafe 100) to be released in 2011, will have these carabiner clasps as well.

The strap is robust, but you can easily turn it into a figure 8 to store. Not as easily, though, as you can with the thinner PacSafe 100. Chalk one up for the PacSafe.

I will use this as a daily strap as I did with the PacSafe and am looking forward to that. The CityStrap is made by Daymakers of Santa Barbara, and sold by Corporate Travel Safety. They also sell the Pacsafe strap. Both are about $19-20.

The photos are all of the CityStrap.

"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T

Last edited by tvphotog : 29th of September 2010 (Wed) at 16:26.
tvphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of September 2010 (Wed)   #2
czeglin

Default Re: Review: CityStrap steel cable strap

Does the shoulder pad slide along the strap or is it fixed in one place?
What I really want is something that:
-is long enough to wear across the chest
-has locking attachments vs. spring clips
-has a sliding cushion on the strap.

CarrySafe 100 has locking clips and sliding cushion. Clips are dinky and it is too short.
CarrySafe 200 has locking clips. Unclear if cushion slides. Also too short.
CityStrap is long enough. Doesn't have locking clips and it doesn't appear that the cushion slides.

Crap.
Old 22nd of September 2010 (Wed)   #3
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by czeglin View Post

CarrySafe 100 has locking clips and sliding cushion. Clips are dinky and it is too short.
CityStrap is long enough. Doesn't have locking clips and it doesn't appear that the cushion slides.

Crap.
Yes, what can you do? The 200 had huge carabiners, not what you want. I think I have a solution. Get one of the PacSafe/Carrysafe 100's and one of the 65" CityStraps. Use the CityStrap, and take off its sliding covers; replace them with those of the PacSafe.

The Pacsafe covers are smaller diameter than those of the CityStrap and will not go up the strap itself; they stay covering just the carabiner and its metal connection to the strap. They therefore bunch up at the bottom of the strap at the connection to the camera. Because they're neoprene, they form an accordian and fit tightly at the ends of the strap, because the rubber in them wants to straighten out.

They thus cover the connection completely and tightly. You really have to want to take the carabiners off to get them off; no one will be able to take the time to push up the neoprene sleeves...which takes two hands...to try to rip off the camera. That's the way I'm using mine, as I have the PacSafe that I use now.

And the shoulder pad does slide. It's tight now that it's new, but I'm sure it will loosen. Made very well, just like a Lowepro strap pad.
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T

Last edited by tvphotog : 23rd of September 2010 (Thu) at 11:51.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of September 2010 (Thu)   #4
czeglin

Thanks for the detailed response! That's a pretty good idea.
Old 23rd of September 2010 (Thu)   #5
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvphotog View Post
Get one of the PacSafe/Carrysafe 100's and one of the 65" CityStraps. Use the CityStrap, and take off its sliding covers; replace them with those of the PacSafe.

The Pacsafe covers are smaller diameter than those of the CityStrap and will not go up the strap itself; they stay covering just the carabiner and its metal connection to the strap. They therefore bunch up at the bottom of the strap at the connection to the camera. Because they're neoprene, they form an accordian and fit tightly at the ends of the strap, because the rubber in them wants to straighten out.

They thus cover the connection completely and tightly. You really have to want to take the carabiners off to get them off; no one will be able to take the time to push up the neoprene sleeves...which takes two hands...to try to rip off the camera. That's the way I'm using mine, as I have the PacSafe that I use now.
The more I'm using this, the better I like it. Not only is it tamperproof, but the neoprene sleeves keep the carabiners upright and protect the camera from getting scratched by them...although they're so smooth I don't see how that could happen.

And I think it looks pretty cool.

Last edited by tvphotog : 23rd of September 2010 (Thu) at 19:33.
Old 24th of September 2010 (Fri)   #6
JDubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by czeglin View Post

Crap.
I converted my Carrysafe100 to a sling-style strap. I liked the fact that it has steel cables alongside the webbing as well as locking snaphooks. Although, beefier snaphooks and a longer strap would've been nice, it gets the job done just fine.

Then loop one end of the strap around the middle of the tri-bar slide and sew it:

JDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #7
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubya View Post
I converted my Carrysafe100 to a sling-style strap. I liked the fact that it has steel cables alongside the webbing as well as locking snaphooks. Although, beefier snaphooks and a longer strap would've been nice, it gets the job done just fine. Then loop one end of the strap around the middle of the tri-bar slide and sew it:
Cool. I always thought creativity was underrated!
Old 27th of September 2010 (Mon)   #8
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

I just tried the shorter 54" model, and even without the 3/8" webbing connectors (just attaching the clips directly to the Adapt-Its), the camera sits just below my hipbone when worn across the chest. It's at least 6" longer than the PacSafe worn the same way.

No real need for me to use the 64" extra-long model, which would be great I think for those over 6' 2" or so. Good for me as it eliminates the extra 10" of strap on the longer one that was doubling back.

Last edited by tvphotog : 27th of September 2010 (Mon) at 17:03.
Old 5th of October 2010 (Tue)   #9
shagaholik

interesting mod, very tempted to do this. how does it feel compared to blackrapid or luma loop if you had experiences w/ those.

Quote:
I converted my Carrysafe100 to a sling-style strap. I liked the fact that it has steel cables alongside the webbing as well as locking snaphooks. Although, beefier snaphooks and a longer strap would've been nice, it gets the job done just fine.
Old 5th of October 2010 (Tue)   #10
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagaholik View Post
interesting mod, very tempted to do this. how does it feel compared to blackrapid or luma loop if you had experiences w/ those.
I've not personally used either. There was a reason, though. I didn't think the camera would be secure on either of them, with a one point connection, and others say it bounces and twists around alot on your hip that way. And you can get the camera to your eye just as quickly with a two point strap..

Also, it blocks the tripod attachment, and I use a tripod much of the time. Also, cameras can fall from the R strap, which I do not want to happen. R strap users are always devising cables and screws to keep this from happening. I know a way. How about ditching the R strap? Thousands of dollars worth of stuff are hanging on your decision.

IMO, R straps are a dangerous gimmick. Users, no offense intended, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by tvphotog : 5th of October 2010 (Tue) at 16:45.
Old 5th of October 2010 (Tue)   #11
JDubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagaholik View Post
I haven't used either but I like it. The bottom of the shoulder pad is grippy with a good amount of cushion.

JDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #12
czeglin

Quote:
I've not personally used either. There was a reason, though. I didn't think the camera would be secure on either of them, with a one point connection, and others say it bounces and twists around alot on your hip that way. And you can get the camera to your eye just as quickly with a two point strap..

Also, it blocks the tripod attachment, and I use a tripod much of the time. Also, cameras can fall from the R strap, which I do not want to happen. R strap users are always devising cables and screws to keep this from happening. I know a way. How about ditching the R strap? Thousands of dollars worth of stuff are hanging on your decision.

IMO, R straps are a dangerous gimmick. Users, no offense intended, that's just my opinion.
One of things I've seen was making a strap with an Arca-Swiss plate so you can attach to a camera with an L-plate. I was thinking I might do this until I remembered...the L-plate is still only attached to the tripod socket! I just don't think it's meant to carry that kind of load. Maybe if I saw an exploded view and had some confidence that the tripod socket was tapped into the frame, vs. the helical insert I suspect it's made of...
Old 7th of October 2010 (Thu)   #13
rh314

Quote:

Gimmick? Sure. Most straps are. I'd call it a useful gimmick, though. But dangerous? That's a bit of a stretch for me.

Cameras can fall for many reasons. I can drop it myself, I can grab the lens at the attachment base and accidentally push the lens release (this just about happened to me once), straps can fail, etc.

With my BR fastener, I don't believe it will fail without user error. I have the latest version, and perhaps I'd have a different opinion with an earlier generation.

But in general, using a BR -- or any other strap system -- simply changes the failure mode. Using a different carrying mechanism without thinking about how the failure modes change is asking for trouble. That's dangerous behavior. But very little about any strap system is inherently dangerous.

Just my two cents. No offense intended...
rh314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2010 (Sat)   #14
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh314 View Post
Gimmick? Sure. Most straps are. I'd call it a useful gimmick, though. But dangerous? That's a bit of a stretch for me.

Cameras can fall for many reasons. I can drop it myself, I can grab the lens at the attachment base and accidentally push the lens release (this just about happened to me once), straps can fail, etc.

With my BR fastener, I don't believe it will fail without user error. I have the latest version, and perhaps I'd have a different opinion with an earlier generation.

But in general, using a BR -- or any other strap system -- simply changes the failure mode. Using a different carrying mechanism without thinking about how the failure modes change is asking for trouble. That's dangerous behavior. But very little about any strap system is inherently dangerous.

Just my two cents. No offense intended...
None taken. Everyone has a different sense of what's dangerous.
Old 22nd of October 2010 (Fri)   #15
kwando

Quote:

Where did you get that clip??