What a deal for me today

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 25 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 21:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

momoe
Joined Sep 2009
438 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

so I went to the camera store to get a bracket to hold my 5-1 reflector. they had the lastolite arm for $49.99. it was mounted to a 10' impact light stand. the tag said 5-1 bracket $49.99. I asked for 1 and she said this was the only 1 they had. the manager said I could have this one. he proceeded to take it apart and look for a box. said he didnt have one and was sorry. he handed me both pieces. the stand and arm. I traded a tamron lens that was giving me fits and would lock up my camera. they tested the lens for about 30 min and said they would give me $100. I said just put the change on a gift card because I will use it at some point. when It was all said and done, I got a $49.99 arm with a $49.99 light stand and a gift card with $53.97 on it. now, I just shoot pics but if my math is right, they screwed up. she has on the receipt, $49.99 reflector arm. $100 lens credit and $53.97 credit. now doesnt that end up to $103.96? anyway, good deal for me

Post #1, Sep 25, 2010 21:59:53

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,389 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Just be prepared...what goes around comes around.;)

Post #2, Sep 26, 2010 00:07:40

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

momoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
438 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh believe me. I have had enough go wrong this year, I'm due for a little good

Post #3, Sep 26, 2010 00:10:49

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I wouldn't call theft by error, a "little good"

Post #4, Sep 26, 2010 03:18:18

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Csae
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
3,350 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

When someone gives you something, i wouldn't call it "theft" either.

How many times shops tried to pull **** on me, if they make a mistake, its on them.

Same as if i make a mistake, its on me. I wouldn't call up a customer up and be like, "Oh remember your last bill, well i found a mistake and need to charge you another 50$ now."

That'd be ridiculous.

Post #5, Sep 26, 2010 03:59:48

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.caexternal link - FanPageexternal link
-Montreal based Photography.

sponsored links
alabama1980
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
1,213 posts
Gadsden, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

Taking advantage of someones error isn't "a little good". That's inviting karma to come kick your ass.

You should go back and make this right. THEN you will be due a little good. Since you have found the error and haven't corrected it, you've done nothing but rip the store off.

Post #6, Sep 26, 2010 16:04:06

Name's Andy! :)
Facebookexternal link
My 500pxexternal link
asheltonphoto.comexternal link

wdwpsu
Joined Aug 2007
624 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd go back and have it corrected. Your little "Good luck" could end up costing somebody their job if/when the business catches it.

Post #7, Sep 26, 2010 16:18:54

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.comexternal link
Blogexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link

Mick_I
Joined Oct 2007
669 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

momoe wrote in post #10978355external link
so I went to the camera store to get a bracket to hold my 5-1 reflector. they had the lastolite arm for $49.99. it was mounted to a 10' impact light stand. the tag said 5-1 bracket $49.99. I asked for 1 and she said this was the only 1 they had. the manager said I could have this one. he proceeded to take it apart and look for a box. said he didnt have one and was sorry. he handed me both pieces. the stand and arm. I traded a tamron lens that was giving me fits and would lock up my camera. they tested the lens for about 30 min and said they would give me $100. I said just put the change on a gift card because I will use it at some point. when It was all said and done, I got a $49.99 arm with a $49.99 light stand and a gift card with $53.97 on it. now, I just shoot pics but if my math is right, they screwed up. she has on the receipt, $49.99 reflector arm. $100 lens credit and $53.97 credit. now doesnt that end up to $103.96? anyway, good deal for me

Are you serious? so you took candy from a baby and you feel good about it. You then come to a public message board and boast about your "success"
Pathetic

Post #8, Sep 26, 2010 16:25:34

Mick Motorexternal linkTumblrexternal linkTwitterexternal linkModel Mayhemexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10691007#post10​691007

k-lo
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
1,316 posts
Lost in SN's Canon vs Nikon Thread
[MORE/SHARE]

momoe wrote in post #10978355external link

frankly if this happened to me, I would not even post this up. ;)

Post #9, Sep 26, 2010 18:08:16

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
View my flickr setsexternal link
Check out my Modelmayhem portexternal link
500pxexternal link

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2008
5,639 posts
in a movie studio, in full production.
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Just remember, what the store loses like that usually comes out of the employee's pocket. So do the right thing.

Post #10, Sep 26, 2010 18:13:13

I suck at Photoshop.

john69az
Joined May 2005
611 posts
Phoenix, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

You know you still got a good deal with the stand for free. So do the right thing and let then know they goofed.

Post #11, Sep 26, 2010 18:45:26

Be good and if you can't be good, don't get caught. - John Chandler

sponsored links
xn2b8r
Joined Jan 2008
372 posts
San Diego County, Calif.
[MORE/SHARE]

Not to sound all self-righteous, but it was your decision to brag about your "deal." So maybe you'll listen to what I have to say in response:

1. You make it sound like the store manager mistakenly gave you both the arm and the bracket for just the price of the bracket, and you just kept your mouth shut instead of speaking up.

2. You also imply that you concealed the problems you'd been having with your Tamron lens (although this may not be the case).

3. To make matters worse, you're gloating over a four-dollar error in your favor that could cost someone their job.

Do you never make mistakes? What if your studio setup was about to tip over and one of your clients was in a position to catch it, but figured, "Hey, it was HIS mistake, not mine" and let your gear crash to the ground? More to the point, what if you left a lens somewhere by mistake? Would it become the property of whoever found it?

Please listen to the good advice in the posts above and go do the right thing. Tomorrow morning.

Post #12, Sep 26, 2010 19:09:28

1D Mark III :: 5D Classic w/BG-E4 :: EF 24-70 f/2.8L :: EF 135 f/2L :: EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS :: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II :: 580EX II (x4) :: ST-E2 :: Gitzo GT2330, GT1541T :: Markins M10 :: Feisol CF mono

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2009
5,106 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

They'll probably have your name and contact details from the lens trade-in (I had mine taken when I traded a lens of mine in at a shop over here) so they may notice and give you a call after looking through their daily records.

Post #13, Sep 26, 2010 21:33:46

momoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
438 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I did call the store today. the manager said it was a complete package and they discounted it b/c there was no box. as far as concealing anything about the lens, I told them what it did and they said it showed no signs of any problems. but i do appreciate how everyone is quick to jump on their soap box about being the morality police. i'm sure you all are the ones who find a quarter in wal mart parking lot and return it to the service desk.

thanks

Post #14, Sep 26, 2010 21:40:46 as a reply to xn2b8r's post 2 hours earlier.

alabama1980
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
1,213 posts
Gadsden, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

momoe wrote in post #10983659external link
I did call the store today. the manager said it was a complete package and they discounted it b/c there was no box. as far as concealing anything about the lens, I told them what it did and they said it showed no signs of any problems. but i do appreciate how everyone is quick to jump on their soap box about being the morality police. i'm sure you all are the ones who find a quarter in wal mart parking lot and return it to the service desk.

thanks

Nope, but if I see someone accidentally drop a quarter I pick it up and give it back because I know where it came from, I know it doesn't belong to me, and I have the means to make it right.

It has nothing to do with "morality police". Doing the right thing is just what we should do as humans.

Congrats on doing the right thing.

Post #15, Sep 26, 2010 21:52:28

Name's Andy! :)
Facebookexternal link
My 500pxexternal link
asheltonphoto.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
957 views & 0 likes for this thread
What a deal for me today
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES