Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of September 2010 (Sat)   #1
momoe

Default What a deal for me today

so I went to the camera store to get a bracket to hold my 5-1 reflector. they had the lastolite arm for $49.99. it was mounted to a 10' impact light stand. the tag said 5-1 bracket $49.99. I asked for 1 and she said this was the only 1 they had. the manager said I could have this one. he proceeded to take it apart and look for a box. said he didnt have one and was sorry. he handed me both pieces. the stand and arm. I traded a tamron lens that was giving me fits and would lock up my camera. they tested the lens for about 30 min and said they would give me $100. I said just put the change on a gift card because I will use it at some point. when It was all said and done, I got a $49.99 arm with a $49.99 light stand and a gift card with $53.97 on it. now, I just shoot pics but if my math is right, they screwed up. she has on the receipt, $49.99 reflector arm. $100 lens credit and $53.97 credit. now doesnt that end up to $103.96? anyway, good deal for me
momoe is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #2
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: What a deal for me today

Just be prepared...what goes around comes around.

Titus213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #3
momoe

Oh believe me. I have had enough go wrong this year, I'm due for a little good
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #4
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

I wouldn't call theft by error, a "little good"
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #5
Csae
Goldmember

When someone gives you something, i wouldn't call it "theft" either.

How many times shops tried to pull **** on me, if they make a mistake, its on them.

Same as if i make a mistake, its on me. I wouldn't call up a customer up and be like, "Oh remember your last bill, well i found a mistake and need to charge you another 50$ now."

That'd be ridiculous.
Csae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #6
alabama1980

Taking advantage of someones error isn't "a little good". That's inviting karma to come kick your ass.

You should go back and make this right. THEN you will be due a little good. Since you have found the error and haven't corrected it, you've done nothing but rip the store off.
asheltonphoto.com
alabama1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #7
wdwpsu

I'd go back and have it corrected. Your little "Good luck" could end up costing somebody their job if/when the business catches it.
wdwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #8
Mick_I

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoe View Post
so I went to the camera store to get a bracket to hold my 5-1 reflector. they had the lastolite arm for $49.99. it was mounted to a 10' impact light stand. the tag said 5-1 bracket $49.99. I asked for 1 and she said this was the only 1 they had. the manager said I could have this one. he proceeded to take it apart and look for a box. said he didnt have one and was sorry. he handed me both pieces. the stand and arm. I traded a tamron lens that was giving me fits and would lock up my camera. they tested the lens for about 30 min and said they would give me $100. I said just put the change on a gift card because I will use it at some point. when It was all said and done, I got a $49.99 arm with a $49.99 light stand and a gift card with $53.97 on it. now, I just shoot pics but if my math is right, they screwed up. she has on the receipt, $49.99 reflector arm. $100 lens credit and $53.97 credit. now doesnt that end up to $103.96? anyway, good deal for me
Are you serious? so you took candy from a baby and you feel good about it. You then come to a public message board and boast about your "success"
Pathetic
Mick_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #9
k-lo

Quote:
frankly if this happened to me, I would not even post this up.
500px
k-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #10
Lazuka
User is banned from forums

Just remember, what the store loses like that usually comes out of the employee's pocket. So do the right thing.
Lazuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #11
john69az

You know you still got a good deal with the stand for free. So do the right thing and let then know they goofed.
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #12
xn2b8r

Not to sound all self-righteous, but it was your decision to brag about your "deal." So maybe you'll listen to what I have to say in response:

1. You make it sound like the store manager mistakenly gave you both the arm and the bracket for just the price of the bracket, and you just kept your mouth shut instead of speaking up.

2. You also imply that you concealed the problems you'd been having with your Tamron lens (although this may not be the case).

3. To make matters worse, you're gloating over a four-dollar error in your favor that could cost someone their job.

Do you never make mistakes? What if your studio setup was about to tip over and one of your clients was in a position to catch it, but figured, "Hey, it was HIS mistake, not mine" and let your gear crash to the ground? More to the point, what if you left a lens somewhere by mistake? Would it become the property of whoever found it?

Please listen to the good advice in the posts above and go do the right thing. Tomorrow morning.
1D Mark III :: 5D Classic w/BG-E4 :: EF 24-70 f/2.8L :: EF 135 f/2L :: EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS :: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II :: 580EX II (x4) :: ST-E2 :: Gitzo GT2330, GT1541T :: Markins M10 :: Feisol CF mono
xn2b8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #13
The Moose
Cream of the Crop

They'll probably have your name and contact details from the lens trade-in (I had mine taken when I traded a lens of mine in at a shop over here) so they may notice and give you a call after looking through their daily records.
The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #14
momoe

I did call the store today. the manager said it was a complete package and they discounted it b/c there was no box. as far as concealing anything about the lens, I told them what it did and they said it showed no signs of any problems. but i do appreciate how everyone is quick to jump on their soap box about being the morality police. i'm sure you all are the ones who find a quarter in wal mart parking lot and return it to the service desk.

thanks
Old 26th of September 2010 (Sun)   #15
alabama1980

Quote:
I did call the store today. the manager said it was a complete package and they discounted it b/c there was no box. as far as concealing anything about the lens, I told them what it did and they said it showed no signs of any problems. but i do appreciate how everyone is quick to jump on their soap box about being the morality police. i'm sure you all are the ones who find a quarter in wal mart parking lot and return it to the service desk.

thanks

Nope, but if I see someone accidentally drop a quarter I pick it up and give it back because I know where it came from, I know it doesn't belong to me, and I have the means to make it right.

It has nothing to do with "morality police". Doing the right thing is just what we should do as humans.

Congrats on doing the right thing.
asheltonphoto.com

Last edited by alabama1980 : 26th of September 2010 (Sun) at 21:55.
alabama1980 is offline   Reply With Quote