Thread started 26 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 22:12   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

elogical
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts to help before I send the lens to Tamron and see how expensive of a repair bill they come up with. The lens was bought used so there's no warranty to make use of. The lens was in absolutely spotless condition when I got it and I took at least 500 pictures of so with it before this, so I don't think it was anything pre-existing with the lens.

I'm getting an Err 01 - Faulty communication with the lens message with my Tamron 17-50 non-VC. The Camera says to clean the contacts, which I've done using a couple different methods and it doesn't change anything.

The strange thing is, there doesn't seem to be any communication problem. I can plug the lens in and the camera reads that it's connected. Camera will auto-focus the lens as normal and will also let me adjust the aperture (tested using DOF preview button). I've looked through the lens while disconnected and it doesn't appear to be any stuck aperture blades. The problem is just when I actually take a shot, it returns the error message. This wasn't an intermittent thing, it worked one day and then started all of a sudden. The lens was immediately put into a case after the last successful use a few days ago, so there's pretty much no chance that it was damaged. Since this started, it's done this 100% of the times so I don't have much hope for figuring it out.

I don't have another body to test it with, but I've tried other lenses on my body (rebel XSI) and they work fine.

I know there's usually not much anyone can tell without looking at the lens, but I'm posting anyway in hopes that there's something else I can check or test. Also, I'd be interested to hear what to expect for repair costs on something like this.

Thanks!

Post #1, Sep 26, 2010 22:12:12

Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
elogical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

Just heard back from Tamron support and they think it's likely the aperture blades. I'm not totally convinced of this, but either way I guess I'll just be sending it back in to see.

Post #2, Sep 27, 2010 17:38:33

Gear

thomas_686
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Have you had any luck or new information with this?

I had the Canon XS body and Tamron 18-270mm. It too started having the err 01 as well err 99. It started out intermittent but then all the time within three weeks. Then one evening the lcd screen displayed err 99 and I was unable to take any pictures. My camera body was damaged due to this problem with the lens as canon replaced it via warranty.

I just bought the canon t1i and tried my tamron lens. I got an err 01 after a few shots on manual and auto. Thats how I know its the lens and not the body now! the camera is fine with the stock canon lens.

My lens is under warranty and I have sent Tamron a e mail explaining the issue...just awaiting a reply.

In the mean time I am not using the lens as i do not want to ruin the camera body of my new camera.

Thanks

Colin

Post #3, Oct 03, 2010 23:58:10 as a reply to elogical's post 6 days earlier.

elogical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

No luck here yet, I mailed it in a few days ago now so I'm just waiting to hear back from Tamron.
There's a lot of info here on the various error codes and what can cause them, but my understanding is that if you're getting only err 01 and the body works with other lenses, it's certain to be just a problem with the lens. If you have a combination of the errors it could be either something with the body or something with the lens.

I hear good things about Tamron for the most part so hopefully the lenses aren't prone to recurring problems once repaired.

Post #4, Oct 04, 2010 16:48:09

Gear

sandbourne
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have exactly the same problem with my Tamron SP 17-50 2.8 EX. Any further feedback would be appreciated. Intro 2020 suggest I send it to them for a service. This is not good for the reputation of Tamron lenses.

Post #5, Oct 05, 2010 06:55:09

sponsored links
elogical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

Just heard back from Tamron today and it's $155 repair and return shipping to "adjust, repair or replace the aperture assembly". Could be much worse.
I'm not sure if this is a design issue with the lens or not so I'm certainly not blaming them at this point. I'll have to be careful with used lenses though and make sure the savings are worth not having warranty... especially with Tamron since the have a pretty long warranty period.

Post #6, Oct 05, 2010 18:39:13

Gear

sandbourne
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to send mine for a service. Btw, I bought mine new but it's 4 years old. However with low usage.

Post #7, Oct 06, 2010 18:46:33 as a reply to elogical's post 2 days earlier.

elogical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

Good luck, hopefully they don't come back with too bad of news for you!

I wish there was a better way to get real data on how many of the lenses have issues. I feel like it's a lot of them from what I read here, but then again the people with issues (like us) are the ones talking about it and it makes it seem more prevalent than it is....

Post #8, Oct 06, 2010 22:05:54

Gear

2Wolves
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi, I am a newbee here but appear to have a similar problem with my Tamron 70-300 5.6 on mt canon 450d. I get a message that the lens and camera have lost communication and to clean the lens contacts which I have done on several occassions. This only started about 3 weeks ago. I got the lens as part of the kit when I purchased the camera a couple of years ago. My other lens, both canon work fine. Guess I send mine for a service too. Put me off tamron lens a little.

Post #9, Oct 08, 2010 17:28:48 as a reply to elogical's post 1 day earlier.

thisizbrian
Hatchling
Joined May 2009
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am having a similar issue with my tamron 18-200. err 01. i guess i will be contacting tamron tomorrow.

Post #10, Jan 04, 2011 20:15:44 as a reply to 2Wolves's post 2 months earlier.

elogical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

thisizbrian wrote in post #11574866external link
I am having a similar issue with my tamron 18-200. err 01. i guess i will be contacting tamron tomorrow.

Have you tried cleaning the data contacts on the lens and camera? Sometimes that's all it takes. Otherwise, hope for the best sending it in I guess.

Post #11, Jan 05, 2011 17:47:44

Gear

sponsored links
hairy_moth
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
3,736 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the issue with my 17-55. When I tried cleaning the contacts (which I was sure would not work because they were nice an shiny) one of the contacts popped up and the problem was solved. It turns out that the little spring loaded contact was depressed and caught in its housing so it was not able to extend and make good contact with the camera body. when it returned to its normal position, all was good.

Post #12, Jan 05, 2011 17:52:10

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickrexternal link

miguello
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2011
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just got my Tamron 70-200 and made less than 50 shots when got into that problem. I'm sending it backl to Amazon and they are sending me back another one. Hope this is not a frequent problem, otherwise I'd do extended warranty and shake Tamron's brains out until they give me a working lens ;)

So, I don't think it's something that happened with the camera - mine was brand new and treated carefully. It's how it's made - I've read about slight incompatibility in new camera's protocols.

Post #13, Mar 20, 2011 19:32:36

elogical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

thing is that if it's a compability issue, it should be happening all the time or not at all. The error 01 seems to come from either dirty contacts, poor connection at contacts, or apparently an error with the aperture assembly. It is all kinda frustrating though

Post #14, Mar 20, 2011 20:12:08

Gear

Bobster
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,847 posts
Dorset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

sandbourne wrote in post #11047952external link
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to send mine for a service. Btw, I bought mine new but it's 4 years old. However with low usage.

good luck with Intro2020 i had the worst time when i sent my 17-50 in for repair with them..

Post #15, Mar 20, 2011 20:20:25

Robert Whettonexternal link Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hoodexternal link | Gear | Tweetexternal link | Google+external link | Get your focus spot onexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
24,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Error 01 with Tamron Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES