Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #76
dr_devious

Default Re: 7D compatibility with Sigma 70-200 APO DG Macro HSM EX! Re-Chip might be needed.

Is this still an issue? Does it affect the MkII as well? I have a 7D and I am trying to figure out which 70-200 have issues with the 7D...
dr_devious is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2011 (Fri)   #77
Charliephoto

Default Re: 7D compatibility with Sigma 70-200 APO DG Macro HSM EX! Re-Chip might be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_devious View Post
Is this still an issue? Does it affect the MkII as well? I have a 7D and I am trying to figure out which 70-200 have issues with the 7D...
If you are referring to the HSM II, i have one & no issues with my 7D.
Charliephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2011 (Sat)   #78
dr_devious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliephoto View Post
If you are referring to the HSM II, i have one & no issues with my 7D.
Are there any significant functionality differences between the HSM II and the OS version beside the Optical Stabilizer? It sounds like the OS version is pretty amazing in terms of AF and IQ...can the same be expected of the non-OS?

Does the heat AF issue still affect the HSM II?
dr_devious is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of May 2011 (Sat)   #79
Charliephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_devious View Post
Are there any significant functionality differences between the HSM II and the OS version beside the Optical Stabilizer? It sounds like the OS version is pretty amazing in terms of AF and IQ...can the same be expected of the non-OS?

Does the heat AF issue still affect the HSM II?
On the comparasion question can`t comment as i never used the OS version. I can say my present copy of the HSM II is a pleasure to have & i have no regrets or wants , except the want & need of the skill set to match the gear LOL

Last edited by Charliephoto : 7th of May 2011 (Sat) at 18:26. Reason: change pharse
Charliephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2011 (Sun)   #80
Brian_R
Goldmember

i just got linked to this thread and had the same problem with my 7D im glad it was a borrowed lens

was using this with single center AF point with AF servo and it would just completely miss focus while shooting soccer and my AF point was dead on the players. had 18 decent shots out of 500
Old 28th of August 2011 (Sun)   #81
RobDickinson
Goldmember

I've not posted in here for a bit!

Sold my sigma 70-200 bought a canon version. Focus is much better!
Old 21st of December 2011 (Wed)   #82
InsaneO

I have been using Sigma lenses for the last 10 years if not longer and never had any problems with re-chipping. Most of them before 2 years ago were only so-so so I bought bunch of Canon Ls and sold most Sigmas. The only 2 I kept were 150mm macro and 12-24mm. In 2010 right before PMA there were some announcements from Sigma that all new lenses would have new design. So I decided to try again because I really wanted black lenses. The first one I tried was 50-500mm OS. WOW, WOW WOW. Incredibly sharp wide open. I don't even bother to stop down.
So I bought 120-300mm OS (I had the first version before non-DG) 85mm F1.4, 70-200mm OS, new 12-24mm II, new 150mm OS. Even bought 18-200mm OS II for walkaround.
The only problem I had was with 150mm OS, OS was malfunctioning so lens was replaced by Sigma.
These are all new design and all mostly 1/2 the price of Canon. All just as good as Canon and in some cases even better.
So, for as much as I saved I can afford to send the lens back to Sigma if needs to be re-chipped. NO BIG DEAL. Considering that at the same time they will check it out and clean it I think it is a bargain.
InsaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of January 2012 (Sun)   #83
kenwood33
Goldmember

how can one tell if a sigma needs to be rechipped? is there a date code or serial # that can be used? i had a few sigmas (12-24, 70-200, 85) and they all worked fine on my 7d.. i m asking for future references as i plan to buy the 70-200
Old 27th of March 2012 (Tue)   #84
MOkoFOko
Dirty Old Man carrying a full pee and poo can

So, it would seem that only the first version of the macro 70-200 is affected by this. One fellow in the UK ended up paying $50+ for rechipping, while another fellow in the states apparently paid nothing (possibly under warranty)?

Okay, I'm going to ask the question that should have been asked--how much has everyone been paying for the rechipping procedure (outside of warranty) for sigma lenses in general? I assume they charge the same rate, whether it's a 150 macro or a 70-200.

I'm moko ಠ_ರೃ
I enjoy long walks on the beach.
I also enjoy long walks off a short pier.
MOkoFOko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #85
RustyHammer

I have / have had several Canon EOS bodies (including my current 7D and 5D Mark II) and have had no trouble with my •Σ 70-200mm 1:2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM lens (latest design). It is as sharp as a tack and super fast. In fact, I returned my Canon 70-200 2.8/L IS MK II and saved over $1K. Have not looked back since!
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #86
mangkukhayun

just sold my sigma as I could not get it chipped in this region of the world replaced that with 17-55 IS
flickr
mangkukhayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #87
stevenup

I upgraded to 7D from 30D and my 17-85 usm which worked fine with the 30D will often refuse to communicate with the 7D. Some times it works fine, other times it shows 'Err 01 Communication between camera and lens is faulty'.
The lens is 5 years old. Do I bin it?
stevenup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2012 (Tue)   #88
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop

I know this should be a dead issue.... I too have a 7D, I don't have a sigma 70-200 any more (RIP), but I do still have a 120-300 f2.8 Sigma, and it exhibits the same "sometimes it will focus - sometimes it will not" habits. It is sitting on my desk waiting to go back to mother ship. It doesn't bother me too terribly much because the lens needed to go in anyway for some TLC. But the symptoms sound an awful lot like the ones posted here.

The good side is I got lots of retro practice manually focusing a good number of events. The funny thing is when I did manual focus, the 7D still signaled focus lock when I got it right. So the two were chatting.... Who knows. I have had issues with lenses from just about every manufacture out there - even Canon L stuff.

Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.
Croasdail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #89
mangkukhayun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croasdail View Post
... but I do still have a 120-300 f2.8 Sigma, and it exhibits the same "sometimes it will focus - sometimes it will not" habits...
wow.. another lens from 3rd party not working with Canon new bodies? this really surprise me.. I will try to stay away from 3rd party lens then (what a shame, they make some very good lens)..
flickr
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #90
mangkukhayun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenup View Post
I upgraded to 7D from 30D and my 17-85 usm which worked fine with the 30D will often refuse to communicate with the 7D. Some times it works fine, other times it shows 'Err 01 Communication between camera and lens is faulty'.
The lens is 5 years old. Do I bin it?
Nope.. trade it for 17-55!
flickr