Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #1
Lone Rider

Default Best settings for 7D - portrait and landscape

I appreciate the 7D is not a point and shoot camera...but some advice would be appreciated with some of the most popular settings for portrait and landscape settings.

My wife and I head off to Tahiti next week and we have been told to keep the camera setting on "P" pretty much most of the time, and apply changes to speed and aperture dependent on the situation.

Will this advice steer us in the right direction, or is it off the mark?

I have also read in a couple of manuals that you shouldn't use the 'AUTO" setting" but why do they have it on the 7D. Surely it can also be used in most situations?

Thanks in advance...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #2
mrgooch
Goldmember

Default Re: Best settings for 7D - portrait and landscape

You need to read a book on basic photography. The camera manual would come next.

mrgooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #3
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportidi View Post
apply changes to speed and aperture dependent on the situation.
Yep, that pretty much sums up all of photography

Quote:
Surely Auto can also be used in most situations?
If the camera was smart enough to figure out the ideal settings for ANY picture in AUTO, there would be no need for you to ever set ISO, f/stop, aperture yourself, nor select the focus point yourself, nor decide if you want to use the flash or not....

If you don't care about ISO, f/stop, aperture, where the camera focuses, whether or not the flash is used, etc..., then use AUTO.
egordon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #4
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

Here's a good reason to NOT shoot AUTO - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=914115
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #5
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgooch View Post
You need to read a book on basic photography. The camera manual would come next.
Yep...If folks would step back a little and instead of asking "What settings do I use for Tahiti? What settings do I use for Paris?", go learn WHAT each setting does, how it affects the picture, and how to relate THAT to the picture in your mind that you are trying to achieve, they would be much better off.

Or if you really want, we can answer "P mode, and just click away...."
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #6
snyderman
Cream of the Crop

Some basic tips using the 7D: If your subject is moving, set focus to AI Servo, if it's NOT moving, set focus to One-Shot mode.

If you're doing a lot of local scenery shots during the day, set camera to manual (M), dial up lens apeture of anywhere from f/5.6 - f/11, set ISO at 100-400 depending on amount of light and time of shooting, then adjust shutter speed until you have good exposure. Remember to set the meter mode to evaluate if you're doing full landscapes (think it would look like this: [ ] on the top screen) or above with dot in middle if you want to meter a specific subject that might not be exposed otherwise.

Good luck. The 7D isn't an easy camera to figure out on the fly. If you get there and can't get results, maybe putting the camera in Auto and shooting away might net some decent results. Good luck and post for help when you get there if needed.

dave
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #7
hieu1004
Goldmember

Grab the book "Understanding Exposure" to educate yourself on how ISO, aperture, and shutter speed all play a part in creating your exposure. These are the fundamentals of photography and are critical to understand if you ever want to get better and are serious. I apologize if you know this stuff, but when someone asks "why not shoot auto?", I am led to assume that that person does not understand exposure or it isn't very clear.

Like mentioned, you can use AI Servo for moving objects and One Shot for still subjects, OR you can set the focus button to one of the back buttons (which is what I do). Once you set your back button focus, you can leave the camera in AI Servo and hold down the button for AI Servo or hit it once to simulate a One Shot. The benefit of this is to separate exposure lock and focus and for ME, ease of use.

Do some searches on here and ask questions. There are LOTS and LOTS of info! Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Gear | Blog | flickr

Last edited by hieu1004 : 29th of September 2010 (Wed) at 08:41.
hieu1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #8
mckinleypics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportidi View Post
I appreciate the 7D is not a point and shoot camera...but some advice would be appreciated with some of the most popular settings for portrait and landscape settings.

My wife and I head off to Tahiti next week and we have been told to keep the camera setting on "P" pretty much most of the time, and apply changes to speed and aperture dependent on the situation.

Will this advice steer us in the right direction, or is it off the mark?

I have also read in a couple of manuals that you shouldn't use the 'AUTO" setting" but why do they have it on the 7D. Surely it can also be used in most situations?

Thanks in advance...
Man you have some nice gear for someone even thinking about auto mode. Auto mode will basically give you pictures that are the same as you would get with your camera phone. If you are going to Tahiti, I would put that 24-70 on your lens, put the camera in Manual, and chase the light meter around taking 1000 pictures a day, at all times of the day, between now and your trip. I would also run out right now and buy a good tripod. If you are going to shoot jpg instead of RAW - which might not be a bad idea on a long trip unless you are bringing enough memory cards to handle RAW images, you can set the style on your 7D (the button that looks like a ceiling fan) to Landscape. This will brighten the greens.

7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII

My Flickr
mckinleypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #9
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinleypics View Post
Man you have some nice gear for someone even thinking about auto mode. Auto mode will basically give you pictures that are the same as you would get with your camera phone. If you are going to Tahiti, I would put that 24-70 on your lens, put the camera in Manual, and chase the light meter around taking 1000 pictures a day, at all times of the day, between now and your trip. I would also run out right now and buy a good tripod. If you are going to shoot jpg instead of RAW - which might not be a bad idea on a long trip unless you are bringing enough memory cards to handle RAW images, you can set the style on your 7D (the button that looks like a ceiling fan) to Landscape. This will brighten the greens.
Thanks McKinley.....a couple of very good tips there. I've got two 8gb Sandisk Extreme III cards to take with me so at least 500 pics a day is not out of the question...!!!!
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #10
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderman View Post
Some basic tips using the 7D: If your subject is moving, set focus to AI Servo, if it's NOT moving, set focus to One-Shot mode.

If you're doing a lot of local scenery shots during the day, set camera to manual (M), dial up lens apeture of anywhere from f/5.6 - f/11, set ISO at 100-400 depending on amount of light and time of shooting, then adjust shutter speed until you have good exposure. Remember to set the meter mode to evaluate if you're doing full landscapes (think it would look like this: [ ] on the top screen) or above with dot in middle if you want to meter a specific subject that might not be exposed otherwise.

Good luck. The 7D isn't an easy camera to figure out on the fly. If you get there and can't get results, maybe putting the camera in Auto and shooting away might net some decent results. Good luck and post for help when you get there if needed.

dave
I think a lot of my shots will be on the "fly" when we're in boats, 4WD and even a chopper. The landscape setting is a good tip. Thanks for the advice.
Old 29th of September 2010 (Wed)   #11
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
Grab the book "Understanding Exposure" to educate yourself on how ISO, aperture, and shutter speed all play a part in creating your exposure. These are the fundamentals of photography and are critical to understand if you ever want to get better and are serious. I apologize if you know this stuff, but when someone asks "why not shoot auto?", I am led to assume that that person does not understand exposure or it isn't very clear.

Like mentioned, you can use AI Servo for moving objects and One Shot for still subjects, OR you can set the focus button to one of the back buttons (which is what I do). Once you set your back button focus, you can leave the camera in AI Servo and hold down the button for AI Servo or hit it once to simulate a One Shot. The benefit of this is to separate exposure lock and focus and for ME, ease of use.

Do some searches on here and ask questions. There are LOTS and LOTS of info! Good luck and have fun on your trip!
A1 servo looks to be good for those moving shots.....many thanks.
Old 3rd of August 2013 (Sat)   #12
jkdjedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderman View Post

dave
Thanks Dave for sharing, My next round of Landscape shots will be in M Mode!!
Old 3rd of August 2013 (Sat)   #13
Gobeatty

Using SCN mode and then choosing Portrait or Landscape might do better than just P mode or the green rectangle. These modes will adjust color and contrast to give a look more typically expected of the subjects. Given the short time you have before the trip, this might work better than trying to learn the technical side of photography from scratch. If you are trying o learn photography on the trip, then the camera will become your primary focus and a distraction. Unless of course photos are a primary purpose of he trip.
Gobeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2013 (Sat)   #14
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember

You have a week to try, if not just use what you know and enjoy the trip.

You might try Tv and Av mode. I would suggest manual, but it's up to what you understand.

Av more puts priority on aperture, meaning it will change shutter speeds and leave aperture alone. Can use it when you are worried about depth of field like for portraits.

Tv puts priority on shutter speed, meaning it will change the aperture and leave the shutter alone. Use it when you are worried about dropping below a certain shutter speed or moving objects.

You can just leave ISO on Auto. For simplicity, you can look at the exposure meter in the viewfinder and try to set it to 1/2 -3/4 of a stop to the right. You always want to expose to the right a little. The histogram is more accurate, but it might be hard to focus on if all of this is overwhelming.
Gregg.Siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2013 (Sat)   #15
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobeatty View Post
Using SCN mode and then choosing Portrait or Landscape might do better than just P mode or the green rectangle. These modes will adjust color and contrast to give a look more typically expected of the subjects. Given the short time you have before the trip, this might work better than trying to learn the technical side of photography from scratch. If you are trying o learn photography on the trip, then the camera will become your primary focus and a distraction. Unless of course photos are a primary purpose of he trip.

Holy ancient thread resurrection, Batman!

Anyway, the SCN modes suck. They also dictate a lot of other things, besides just the exposure settings. Many force you to shoot JPEGs and won't allow you to shoot RAW. Some also won't allow you to configure the autofocus (which is kinda the whole point of buying a 7D, after all). The 7D doesn't have the SCN modes on the mode dial, either. You have to go into the menu to select them. (Probably the camera's designers figured it would mostly be bought by experienced shooters who know better than to rely upon SCN modes.)

Rather than us trying to write a book's worth of information here... The best answer can be found above, given way back in 2010, and is to buy a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, and learn how to configure practically any camera in a wide range of situations. This is still good advice and this book should be mandatory reading!

Beyond that, to get the most out of 7D buy one of the guide books especially for the model... Over the years I've gotten guide books for each of my cameras and can vouch for the ones written by Charlotte Lowrie, David Busch and Michael Guncheon. I'm sure some of the other authors are equally good. These books are specific to the model and go well beyond what the manual included with the camera provides, but that manual is another great resource.

There are also tutorials online, such those related to autofocus (which is more compex on 7D than most models). Start with this half hour video about Canon AF in general and view all three in that series. Then watch this video about the 7D's AF system, more specifically.

Those online tutorials only relate to autofocus. If you wish, search for others regarding exposure and other camera functions.

Last edited by amfoto1 : 3rd of August 2013 (Sat) at 11:18.
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote