FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 Aug 2005 (Wednesday) 21:11   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

IronDad
Joined Aug 2005
177 posts
Minor outlying islands
[MORE/SHARE]

I think I've read that the maximum operating environment of most Canon digital cameras is 104 degrees F (40 degrees C) and 85% humidity.

Two questions:

Here in Texas it's pretty easy to exceed the maximum temperature and humidity in July and August. What are the consequences of exceeding the maximum operating environment?

During the summer I know for a fact that the inside of my black car can exceed 150 degrees F when it's parked outside. Obviously that exceeds the maximum operating environment. If I need to keep my camera available (thus in my car) can I put the camera in something like one of those soft ice-chests to keep it cool?

Post #1, Aug 24, 2005 21:11:23

Lots of very nice cameras, lenses and other stuff, but you know how Lance Armstrong says "it's not about the bike"? Well... it's not about the equipment, it's the photographer. I'm still working on it ;)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
johnlo
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
1,086 posts
Atlanta, GA
[MORE/SHARE]

as long as you dont leave your camera in the trunk, epseically when its not operating.

Post #2, Aug 24, 2005 21:34:03

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​comexternal link
My Gear List

IronDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2005
177 posts
Minor outlying islands
[MORE/SHARE]

johnlo wrote:
as long as you dont leave your camera in the trunk, epseically when its not operating.

Not sure I understand that...

Post #3, Aug 24, 2005 21:41:34 as a reply to johnlo's post 7 minutes earlier.

Lots of very nice cameras, lenses and other stuff, but you know how Lance Armstrong says "it's not about the bike"? Well... it's not about the equipment, it's the photographer. I'm still working on it ;)

NickySix
Joined Aug 2005
112 posts
Maui, Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah man, my brand new 350d comes tomorrow and i live in kihei, hawaii, one of the hotest places on the islands. i read in another thread that someone put their camera in one of those hard coolers, so that might work. also, i saw at walmart yesterday that they have these little cans of something that suck up the moisture in the air. i dont know how good they work, but you might as well try them. pput them wherever you leave your camera for long periods of time (ie, camera bag, the cooler, car, etc.). thats what im planning on doing anyways =]

Post #4, Aug 24, 2005 22:49:33

Nick
350D
Canon 18-55 Kit

Blue ­ Deuce
"I don't say anything witty"
Joined Feb 2005
3,742 posts
Cent. Fl.
[MORE/SHARE]

As a former UPS driver for 16 years in Fl. I can tell you that more then likely the camera you are now using made the initial trip on a hot boat, sat in a hot warehouse, was transported to the UPS terminal in a hot truck, sat again in a hot UPS warehouse, rode in a very hot boxcar to its destination city, sat again in a hot UPS terminal, then was loaded into a package car that gets god alwful hot driving around its local delivery area and the sits again in a hot warehouse until it winds up sold to a store. ;)

Post #5, Aug 25, 2005 06:45:35 as a reply to NickySix's post 7 hours earlier.

Mike

sponsored links
Dchemist
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
1,632 posts
Woodbury, Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

I would think the greatest hazard to the camera is carrying it from the cool AC area into the humidity. Condensation will occur on and perhaps inside the camera until it equilibrates with the warm humid environment.

Post #6, Aug 25, 2005 07:45:24 as a reply to Blue Deuce's post 59 minutes earlier.

POTN Book Vol4 Astronomy Image Manager and BC Member
20D, 5DMkII, 50F1.4, 100F2.8 macro, 135F2, 17-40F4, 70-200F2.8, 24-105F4, 580EX

jimsolt
Joined Apr 2004
758 posts
Palm Beach County, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Dchemist wrote:
I would think the greatest hazard to the camera is carrying it from the cool AC area into the humidity. Condensation will occur on and perhaps inside the camera until it equilibrates with the warm humid environment.

In fact camera manuals and materials that come with lenses warn of that very phenomena. As I recall they recommend wrapping the equipment in towels for the transition.

I am fascinated by the earlier post that seems to suggest if you operate your camera while in the trunk of your car that might be better than just carrying it there. :lol:

Jim

Post #7, Aug 25, 2005 07:55:38 as a reply to Dchemist's post 10 minutes earlier.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

I think the heat isn't to bad, change in temperature / humidity is far worse.
As long as you can take the heat, so will the camera. Wouldn't leave it in a parked car though....
I've taken pictures in saunas and swimming pools, and the camera (1D2) didn't mind. Only problem was condensation inside (!) the lenses afterward... (50/1.4; 100/2.0) The 100 mm also showed some condensation during the shoot, but that was when i was taking pictures approx. 15 cm above the waterline...

Post #8, Aug 25, 2005 08:33:43

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

kayaking_n_sc
Joined Jul 2005
39 posts
South Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

I read somewhere about using a ziplock baggie for your camera when going from A/C to outside when it is humid, and allow the camera to warm up before opening the bag. It is a pain when you are looking out the door and see something you want to take a pic of, just to step outside and have the lens fog over...

Post #9, Aug 26, 2005 17:34:13 as a reply to René Damkot's post 1 day earlier.

Thomas

5D MII (and my spare 40D) / 24-105L F4 / 70-300 F4.5-5.6 DO IS / 50 F1.4 / LensBaby Composer / Speedlight 580 EX II / Speedlight 580 EX

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

I can't do much about the heat and humidity in Texas, but here in California we have Death Valley. It has virtually no humidity, but it does get its share of heat. Earlier this summer it got to almost F 130.

Normally, I avoid that kind of heat for myself, my car, and my camera. However, I have done Death Valley in August, so I had to prepare for some heat. When I leave my camera locked in my car overnight, I try to leave it so that it gets as much cool air as possible so that it can last longer during the day. If I am forced to leave my camera in the car during the heat of the day, I keep it inside a cooler (not in contact with any ice). The ice will melt, but everything will still stay cooler than outside by quite a bit. When I am driving in the car, I normally leave the camera bag near one of the air conditioner vents so that just a little bit of coolness hits it.

If you don't like dealing with ice in a cooler, then there are piezoelectric coolers available that run off 12VDC power. The one I have is just about big enough for eight 12-ounce beverage cans, so camera gear fits it fine. The cooler will keep it at F 40, which is too cold for what we need, so I power it only about half of the time and it maintains about F 70. Yes, it helps to have a very good electrical system on the car.

---Bob Gross---

Post #10, Aug 26, 2005 18:03:13 as a reply to kayaking_n_sc's post 29 minutes earlier.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
13,431 posts
Portage, Wisconsin USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Bob- off the subject a bit - That cooler for your car has a thermostat in it that makes it maintain 40 or so degrees. Replace it with one that is set for 60 or 70 degrees (from your local parts store) and you won't have to unplug it 1/2 the time or watch it. I wanted a nice "root cellar" (so many things that store well at about 50-55 degrees...including film, etc.) I got an old chest freezer and changed the thermostat in it = root cellar.

Post #11, Aug 26, 2005 20:38:26 as a reply to robertwgross's post 2 hours earlier.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital camera in a hot/humid conditions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES