Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 06 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 18:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

shutter speed for Macro

alann
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Nov 2007
South Carolina
Oct 06, 2010 18:48 |  #1

I have always used a 1/ 250 shutter speed for macro photography with my flash. As I read the forums I see that some people are using high sync flash in order to get 1/1000 and higher speeds. Is there any real advantage been doing this?

My FLickrPageexternal link

sponsored links
TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009
Oct 06, 2010 19:09 |  #2

I would assume that the higher shutter speeds will help with moving subjects.

Wallpap3r
383 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Bellevue, Washington
Oct 06, 2010 20:42 |  #3

And specular highlights. Learned my lesson about speculars today (really bad ghosty blur :()
You would lose recycling time though, not sure how much. It could also help kill ambient if a certain scene you want total control of without shading the subject

Flickr
40D || 50 1.8 II || 18-55IS || 85 1.8 || 430EXII || YN560 x2 || Cheap umbrellas x2 || QBox 24 || Cheap macro crap

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
59,007 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Worthing UK
Oct 07, 2010 02:48 |  #4

The only advantage of using high speed sync flash that I've come across in normal macro shooting is where you want significant flash contribution where there is a very high level of ambient light. IE it enables you to use high shutter speeds to cut down the light. It could also be used where you are shooting fill flash (ie in Av or Tv modes) and want high shutter speed to stop motion blur in the natural light but also want some fill flash in a backlit subject.
In general using high speed sync flash does not in fact give faster effective shutter speeds for motion stopping unless it is used at very high shutter speeds (eg above 1/2000th sec) for full flash shots.
This might sound counter-intuitive but in cases where flash is used for motion stopping capability (a lot of macro) using normal sync flash at say 1/200th or 1/250th gives one pulse of flash with a likely duration faster than 1/1000th sec and this is the effective shutter speed. Using high speed sync flash at say 1/1000th sec shutter speed actually causes the flash to strobe in time with the shutter motion so you get a total flash duration of exactly 1/1000th sec made up of small pulses. This is likely to be actually a slower pulse time than the single flash.

Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009
Oct 07, 2010 09:34 |  #5

LordV wrote in post #11050329external link
The only advantage of using high speed sync flash that I've come across in normal macro shooting is where you want significant flash contribution where there is a very high level of ambient light. IE it enables you to use high shutter speeds to cut down the light. It could also be used where you are shooting fill flash (ie in Av or Tv modes) and want high shutter speed to stop motion blur in the natural light but also want some fill flash in a backlit subject.
In general using high speed sync flash does not in fact give faster effective shutter speeds for motion stopping unless it is used at very high shutter speeds (eg above 1/2000th sec) for full flash shots.
This might sound counter-intuitive but in cases where flash is used for motion stopping capability (a lot of macro) using normal sync flash at say 1/200th or 1/250th gives one pulse of flash with a likely duration faster than 1/1000th sec and this is the effective shutter speed. Using high speed sync flash at say 1/1000th sec shutter speed actually causes the flash to strobe in time with the shutter motion so you get a total flash duration of exactly 1/1000th sec made up of small pulses. This is likely to be actually a slower pulse time than the single flash.

Brian v.

This makes a lot more sense, I didn't think my response through that well and I stand corrected. :)

alann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Nov 2007
South Carolina
Oct 07, 2010 13:07 |  #6

Thank you so much for the information

My FLickrPageexternal link

sponsored links

3,389 views & 0 likes for this thread
shutter speed for Macro
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.