Wedding Inquiry Email Replies

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 10 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 15:17   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

KristenTyler
Joined Mar 2010
39 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello POTN :) I have a quick business question.

I've been doing quite a bit of advertising and marketing lately, and I'm getting more "inquiry" emails than normal coming off of my website.

And I"m wondering, for those of you who shoot weddings, what is a good format for a first email to a client? What do you guys say? Do you ask certain questions? Tell them congratulations? I don't know 100% what that first email should say, but I know that first email is VERY important, and you only get one shot at landing a client, so I'd love to have a GREAT email set up and ready to go to potential first time clients.

Any help would be appreciated! :cool:

Thanks everyone!

Post #1, Oct 10, 2010 15:17:08

Canon 40D/ 480 EX/ Sigma AF 19-35mm
www.kristentylerphoto.​comexternal link
www.twitter.com/ktyler​photo

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
S-Man
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
2,005 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I hate the emails from my website that are like "I'm getting married What are your prices???"

Post #2, Oct 10, 2010 23:07:08

Sam
Blog;external link Houston Wedding Photographerexternal link;external linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/slickpixphotoexternal linkFacebookexternal linkhttps://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link https://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link

AdamGasson
Joined Oct 2008
101 posts
Bristol, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Say congratulations, ask for a detailed break down of the wedding so you can provide an accurate quote, give a quick run down of what you shoot on a wedding day...

To be honest each email is personal so there isn't a single response that will fit all.

Post #3, Oct 11, 2010 04:06:46

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

AdamGasson wrote in post #11073730external link
ask for a detailed break down of the wedding so you can provide an accurate quote

Good luck with that. :lol:

Post #4, Oct 11, 2010 04:21:48

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

My initial response depends on what the bride already includes in her email. Some have no information beyond knowing she's engaged while others (very few mind you) have it already planned. Most of the time, she just knows approximately how long the wedding will last and the number of guests she's inviting.

My part as photographer is so straightforward that I don't need a break down of the day to give a price quote. I only have to know how long I'm needed and what products she wants.

Post #5, Oct 11, 2010 04:23:45

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
4,019 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

My first contact from a bride is typically just the few fields they complete on my on-line form. What I want to do is get them to an appointment; coming to meet me for an in-person consultation at my office. The reality is, that's already the bride's expectation; otherwise, she wouldn't have already completed the form. So I just want to get us to a light and brief phone discussion to schedule that meeting. Below is a direct copy and paste of what I send:

Hello, Heather.
>
> Congratulations on your engagement and thanks for reaching out to
> me. I am available for 1/7/11 and the Whistling Swan is a beautiful
> location.
>
> I'd like to arrange for a quick phone call. It's an opportunity for
> me to learn more about the day you're planning as well as address
> any quick questions you may have. Assuming you have continued
> interest, we can arrange to meet in my office. I'll call you this
> evening around 7 at the number provided.
>Thanks.

Post #6, Oct 11, 2010 08:00:08

Robert Wayne Photographyexternal link

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

KristenTyler
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
39 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

All great things to think about!!

Peacefield - thanks for the example! It's something to go off of and work with :)

Post #7, Oct 11, 2010 13:47:51

Canon 40D/ 480 EX/ Sigma AF 19-35mm
www.kristentylerphoto.​comexternal link
www.twitter.com/ktyler​photo

daclozer
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,026 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

As a lifelong salesperson, I ALWAYS try to sell the appointment or at least a phone call on that initial contact. If you just send them a price you will not hear back from them unless you are the cheapest. That is how too many businesses reply, with just a price. If you can get in front of them, or at least talk to them, then you have the opportunity to sell yourself. There are tons of people with best buy cameras and ads on craigslist in my area. I just booked a wedding and the package that they liked was over $500 more than the other person they were going to book with. They booked me and paid more because they liked ME. They liked my personality and my way of doing things. I met them at their home, it was very relaxed and we hit it off right away. The other guy only emailed her back and forth. YOU are the best advertising for your business.

Post #8, Oct 11, 2010 22:30:34

2 30D/BG-E2
70-200L f2.8 Canon
28-75mm f2.8 Tamron
www.freezeframefoto.bi​zexternal link
http://www.etsy.com/sh​op/freezeframefotoexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't waste my time meeting price shoppers.

Post #9, Oct 12, 2010 08:40:52

S-Man
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
2,005 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

^I like that.

Post #10, Oct 12, 2010 13:55:56

Sam
Blog;external link Houston Wedding Photographerexternal link;external linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/slickpixphotoexternal linkFacebookexternal linkhttps://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link https://www.facebook.c​om ...y/171603836255437?s​k=wallexternal link

droberts
Joined Aug 2008
259 posts
Missouri
[MORE/SHARE]

Good post on this topic...as Peacefield and Daclozer stated the key is personal contact. You are not trying to sale pictures, you trying to sale yourself.
One thing to add to their post is show that you are really buying into their wedding, let them know that you are really looking forward to working with them, and enjoying their moment just as much as they are. A wedding is a very important and personal event. They must feel comfortable and at ease with you even being there let alone providing the photos.
By just going over your pricing and what you will deliver as an end product is cold, and no different than buying food at the grocery store. Pricing is one of the last topics to discuss with them.

Post #11, Oct 12, 2010 14:12:36

Canon Stuff...

sponsored links
Svetlana
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
3,357 posts
Calgary, AB
[MORE/SHARE]

I give them the starting price and ask to meet for a coffee...if they're not in my price range I didn't waste time meeting them and didn't waste time going into a lot of details about my pricing and packages...

Post #12, Oct 12, 2010 17:04:07

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/external link

Join me on Facebookexternal link! :)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

droberts wrote in post #11083570external link
Good post on this topic...as Peacefield and Daclozer stated the key is personal contact. You are not trying to sale pictures, you trying to sale yourself.
One thing to add to their post is show that you are really buying into their wedding, let them know that you are really looking forward to working with them, and enjoying their moment just as much as they are. A wedding is a very important and personal event. They must feel comfortable and at ease with you even being there let alone providing the photos.
By just going over your pricing and what you will deliver as an end product is cold, and no different than buying food at the grocery store. Pricing is one of the last topics to discuss with them.

Actually, for most mortals pricing is the first thing to discuss. I'm not going to pack up my car and put on my good clothes when they can be told via email if I'm even affordable

Post #13, Oct 12, 2010 20:22:34

ToddR
Joined Feb 2009
766 posts
central Iowa
[MORE/SHARE]

cdifoto wrote in post #11085647external link
I'm not going to pack up my car and put on my good clothes when they can be told via email if I'm even affordable

bw!

Post #14, Oct 12, 2010 20:34:05

Gear List

isophotostudio
Joined Nov 2009
494 posts
Akron, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

If your packages are on the website they probably already have a good idea whether you're in their price range. As droberts said, let them know you're excited that they contacted you, if they give you any information about the wedding elaborate on that a little. "A farm wedding, that's great, I love doing poses by a barn..." ect.

Post #15, Oct 12, 2010 20:40:12

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

LIST NEARBY THREADS
11,310 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Inquiry Email Replies
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES