Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of October 2010 (Sun)   #1
KristenTyler

Default Wedding Inquiry Email Replies

Hello POTN I have a quick business question.

I've been doing quite a bit of advertising and marketing lately, and I'm getting more "inquiry" emails than normal coming off of my website.

And I"m wondering, for those of you who shoot weddings, what is a good format for a first email to a client? What do you guys say? Do you ask certain questions? Tell them congratulations? I don't know 100% what that first email should say, but I know that first email is VERY important, and you only get one shot at landing a client, so I'd love to have a GREAT email set up and ready to go to potential first time clients.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
KristenTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of October 2010 (Sun)   #2
S-Man
Goldmember

Default Re: Wedding Inquiry Email Replies

I hate the emails from my website that are like "I'm getting married What are your prices"
S-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of October 2010 (Mon)   #3
AdamGasson

Say congratulations, ask for a detailed break down of the wedding so you can provide an accurate quote, give a quick run down of what you shoot on a wedding day...

To be honest each email is personal so there isn't a single response that will fit all.
AdamGasson is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of October 2010 (Mon)   #4
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGasson View Post
ask for a detailed break down of the wedding so you can provide an accurate quote
Good luck with that.
Old 11th of October 2010 (Mon)   #5
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

My initial response depends on what the bride already includes in her email. Some have no information beyond knowing she's engaged while others (very few mind you) have it already planned. Most of the time, she just knows approximately how long the wedding will last and the number of guests she's inviting.

My part as photographer is so straightforward that I don't need a break down of the day to give a price quote. I only have to know how long I'm needed and what products she wants.

Last edited by cdifoto : 11th of October 2010 (Mon) at 04:25.
cdifoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of October 2010 (Mon)   #6
Peacefield
Goldmember

My first contact from a bride is typically just the few fields they complete on my on-line form. What I want to do is get them to an appointment; coming to meet me for an in-person consultation at my office. The reality is, that's already the bride's expectation; otherwise, she wouldn't have already completed the form. So I just want to get us to a light and brief phone discussion to schedule that meeting. Below is a direct copy and paste of what I send:

Hello, Heather.
>
> Congratulations on your engagement and thanks for reaching out to
> me. I am available for 1/7/11 and the Whistling Swan is a beautiful
> location.
>
> I'd like to arrange for a quick phone call. It's an opportunity for
> me to learn more about the day you're planning as well as address
> any quick questions you may have. Assuming you have continued
> interest, we can arrange to meet in my office. I'll call you this
> evening around 7 at the number provided.
>Thanks.

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all
Peacefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of October 2010 (Mon)   #7
KristenTyler

All great things to think about!!

Peacefield - thanks for the example! It's something to go off of and work with
KristenTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of October 2010 (Mon)   #8
daclozer

As a lifelong salesperson, I ALWAYS try to sell the appointment or at least a phone call on that initial contact. If you just send them a price you will not hear back from them unless you are the cheapest. That is how too many businesses reply, with just a price. If you can get in front of them, or at least talk to them, then you have the opportunity to sell yourself. There are tons of people with best buy cameras and ads on craigslist in my area. I just booked a wedding and the package that they liked was over $500 more than the other person they were going to book with. They booked me and paid more because they liked ME. They liked my personality and my way of doing things. I met them at their home, it was very relaxed and we hit it off right away. The other guy only emailed her back and forth. YOU are the best advertising for your business.
www.freezeframefoto.biz
http://www.etsy.com/shop/freezeframefoto
daclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of October 2010 (Tue)   #9
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

I don't waste my time meeting price shoppers.
Old 12th of October 2010 (Tue)   #10
S-Man
Goldmember

^I like that.
S-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of October 2010 (Tue)   #11
droberts

Good post on this topic...as Peacefield and Daclozer stated the key is personal contact. You are not trying to sale pictures, you trying to sale yourself.
One thing to add to their post is show that you are really buying into their wedding, let them know that you are really looking forward to working with them, and enjoying their moment just as much as they are. A wedding is a very important and personal event. They must feel comfortable and at ease with you even being there let alone providing the photos.
By just going over your pricing and what you will deliver as an end product is cold, and no different than buying food at the grocery store. Pricing is one of the last topics to discuss with them.
Old 12th of October 2010 (Tue)   #12
Svetlana
Goldmember

I give them the starting price and ask to meet for a coffee...if they're not in my price range I didn't waste time meeting them and didn't waste time going into a lot of details about my pricing and packages...

Join me on Facebook!
Svetlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of October 2010 (Tue)   #13
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts View Post
Good post on this topic...as Peacefield and Daclozer stated the key is personal contact. You are not trying to sale pictures, you trying to sale yourself.
One thing to add to their post is show that you are really buying into their wedding, let them know that you are really looking forward to working with them, and enjoying their moment just as much as they are. A wedding is a very important and personal event. They must feel comfortable and at ease with you even being there let alone providing the photos.
By just going over your pricing and what you will deliver as an end product is cold, and no different than buying food at the grocery store. Pricing is one of the last topics to discuss with them.
Actually, for most mortals pricing is the first thing to discuss. I'm not going to pack up my car and put on my good clothes when they can be told via email if I'm even affordable
Old 12th of October 2010 (Tue)   #14
ToddR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
I'm not going to pack up my car and put on my good clothes when they can be told via email if I'm even affordable
Old 12th of October 2010 (Tue)   #15
isophotostudio

If your packages are on the website they probably already have a good idea whether you're in their price range. As droberts said, let them know you're excited that they contacted you, if they give you any information about the wedding elaborate on that a little. "A farm wedding, that's great, I love doing poses by a barn..." ect.
isophotostudio is offline   Reply With Quote