Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 12:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

64" Parabolic Umbrella.... *drool*

this thread is locked
aaron.dunlap
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Oct 2009
USA
Oct 13, 2010 12:35 |  #1

Anyone have experience with Hobo Lighting products.... this looks might tasty at <$50USD
http://www.lightingrum​ours.com ...rs+%28Lighting+Rumo​urs%29external link

 Aaron

sponsored links
Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Queens, NY
Oct 13, 2010 13:14 |  #2

Those look like Paul Buff's that his old manufacturers "stole" and sold on eBay and UK/Europe.

Sean | Blogexternal link | Portfolioexternal link | Google+external link | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,596 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Boston, MA
Oct 13, 2010 13:42 |  #3

Seanzky wrote in post #11089822external link
Those look like Paul Buff's that his old manufacturers "stole" and sold on eBay and UK/Europe.

With the exception that people can get these now.... :rolleyes:

Boston Wedding Photographerexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

aaron.dunlap
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Oct 2009
USA
Oct 13, 2010 13:44 |  #4

You know, I've heard conflicting stories on this. One of them being that PCB is off his rocker and accusing people of stealing the plans even though they aren't made in the same factory and there is sufficient difference between the products.

Reference the comments in this post for the 42" version:
http://www.lightingrum​ours.com ...lic-umbrellas-from-20-681external link

 Aaron

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Queens, NY
Oct 13, 2010 13:48 |  #5

It's possible, Aaron. But these do look very similar to Buff's. One way to tell is to buy one and see if Buff's branding is on it.

Sean | Blogexternal link | Portfolioexternal link | Google+external link | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link

aaron.dunlap
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Oct 2009
USA
Oct 13, 2010 13:58 |  #6

Might just have to do that. :-)

 Aaron

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Oct 13, 2010 16:24 |  #7

If you read the comments from the 42" varieties (http://www.lightingrum​ours.com ...lic-umbrellas-from-20-681external link), then they have said specifically that they don't use the same factory.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,244 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 13, 2010 19:14 |  #8

lazer-jock wrote in post #11090926external link
If you read the comments from the 42" varieties (http://www.lightingrum​ours.com ...lic-umbrellas-from-20-681external link), then they have said specifically that they don't use the same factory.

That doesn't mean a lot in Chinese industry. The design of any device that appears to be a hot seller in the West spreads between Chinese factories like a virus. There will generally be at least two and probably more distinct Chinese factories making anything might sell well. That's part of the problem with getting good quality control out of China--the item you buy today likely doesn't come from the same factory as the item your friend bought last week.

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Oct 13, 2010 20:37 |  #9

I don't see how it doesn't make a difference as many people have specifically been against the PLM's coming directly from Buff's initial manufacturer. Everything that is popular has a knock-off, but as long as they're meeting demand WITHOUT stabbing a business partner in the back...well, I can live with that. It isn't like PCB had the very first idea for a parabolic umbrella in the history of mankind. He modified someone's idea on his own to make a buck off of it.

My Gear List

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Queens, NY
Oct 13, 2010 21:35 |  #10

In China, different factories can mean different factories owned by the same person.

zwicko
460 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Oct 14, 2010 03:27 |  #11

Seanzky wrote in post #11090044external link
One way to tell is to buy one and see if Buff's branding is on it.

Just bought one.
We´ll see.

Cheers, Zwicko

WireWess
160 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Holland!
Oct 14, 2010 03:44 |  #12

It doesn't seem very effective, if you take a look at the product photo i'm curious how the flash could fill the whole umbrella??
Looks like the shaft is a bit to short?

My RAZZIexternal link && Flickrexternal link

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,244 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 14, 2010 06:22 |  #13

lazer-jock wrote in post #11092393external link
I don't see how it doesn't make a difference as many people have specifically been against the PLM's coming directly from Buff's initial manufacturer. Everything that is popular has a knock-off, but as long as they're meeting demand WITHOUT stabbing a business partner in the back...well, I can live with that. It isn't like PCB had the very first idea for a parabolic umbrella in the history of mankind. He modified someone's idea on his own to make a buck off of it.

A. How do you know that version isn't coming from Buff's initial manufacturer? The odds are that it does--they almost certainly did not stop manufacturing them--they're already tooled and in production.

B. Chinese manufacturers don't stab each other in the backs--they're operating cooperatively under a totalitarian government in a command economy. But they most definitely stab American manufacturers in the back. Flooding the world market with cheap knock-offs of popular products from any other nation is the foundation of the Chinese government's international trade plan.

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,244 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 14, 2010 06:26 |  #14

WireWess wrote in post #11094140external link
It doesn't seem very effective, if you take a look at the product photo i'm curious how the flash could fill the whole umbrella??
Looks like the shaft is a bit to short?

To get an accurate parabolic effect (a relatively tight beam), the bulb of the flash (without a reflector)must be positioned just barely inside the edge of the bowl. Actually the shaft of the initial version was too long, and it encouraged people to put the flash too far out.

Using the supplied speedring, puts the flash at its optimum distance automatically.

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Lincoln, Nebraska
Oct 14, 2010 08:23 |  #15

RDKirk wrote in post #11094509external link
A. How do you know that version isn't coming from Buff's initial manufacturer? The odds are that it does--they almost certainly did not stop manufacturing them--they're already tooled and in production.

The factory in question was producing parabolic umbrellas that still had the "Buff" brand molded in. Those were the tooled molds that were being used by the offending factory. The ones being discussed in this thread do not come from the offending factory and do not have the "Buff" mark as stated by the distributor of said items under scrutiny.

Now, we can speculate that they have replaced those specific molds to quell the moral outcry coming from around the globe, or suspect that this may just be another factory that is getting into the game with a knock-off design from the UK. Personally, it is easier for me to believe the later, but neither you or I have proof one way or the other. Just my two cents

My Gear List

sponsored links

6,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
64" Parabolic Umbrella.... *drool*
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.