FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 15 Oct 2010 (Friday) 14:10   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Brodel
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2008
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm trying to use my 400D with iStopmotion which according to the website needs to be in ptp mode. What does ptp mode stand for and how do I enable it? I thought it would be as simple as connecting my camera to the laptop via USB and iStopmotion would configure it, but when I click capture I get a message saying that istopmotion was unable to capture an image with this device?

when i 'test still camera' it does detect it and says that it can download and capture images.

Post #1, Oct 15, 2010 14:10:00

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
7,793 posts
Michigan-U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

From FAQ

Will my Still Camera work with iStopMotion?

If your camera supports the Picture Transfer Protocol, iStopMotion can import pictures from the camera. Some cameras also support remote capture, where the computer tells the camera to shoot a picture and that picture is immediately transfered to the computer. In this case, iStopMotion treats the imported picture just like it would treat a live stream from a video cam. Get a demo license and use the Still Camera Assitent to find out if your camera works with iStopMotion. You can find a list of tested cameras here. Still cameras don't support live preview, which means you have to take a picture with it, before you can see the actual sceen in iStopMotion.

I don't know if the 400D supports this function or not.

Post #2, Oct 15, 2010 14:26:12

My Gear

Jim_T
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,242 posts
Woodlands, MB, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

PTP stands for "Picture Transfer Protocol".

In your camera menu, you might have a "Communication" option.. If so, you go there and select between PTP and 'Normal'. I say 'might' have the option because at some point this menu option was removed. Newer cameras can detect which protocol is expected.

NORMAL is Canon's proprietary communication protocol used for taking images off the memory card inside the camera.. It will only work with Canon cameras. PTP is a universal protocol that works with many manufacturers..

FWIW, There's a third method that can pull images off a camera's memory card directly. (No special protocol is required, it's like using a memory card reader). It's called USB Mass Storage. Canon does not support this method.

Post #3, Oct 15, 2010 14:31:16

Brodel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2008
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks for the info :)

I don't have a communication option, I have tried plugging it in as I would to transfer files from the camera to my mac and also tried the remote control drive setting but that didn't change anything either.

Post #4, Oct 15, 2010 14:38:03

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
7,793 posts
Michigan-U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

runninmann wrote in post #11103566external link
From FAQ

Will my Still Camera work with iStopMotion?

If your camera supports the Picture Transfer Protocol, iStopMotion can import pictures from the camera. Some cameras also support remote capture, where the computer tells the camera to shoot a picture and that picture is immediately transfered to the computer. In this case, iStopMotion treats the imported picture just like it would treat a live stream from a video cam. Get a demo license and use the Still Camera Assitent to find out if your camera works with iStopMotion. You can find a list of tested cameras here. Still cameras don't support live preview, which means you have to take a picture with it, before you can see the actual sceen in iStopMotion.

I don't know if the 400D supports this function or not.

Did you use the Still Camera Assitent(sic) to find out if the 400D works with it?

Post #5, Oct 15, 2010 14:40:18

My Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Brodel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2008
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

runninmann wrote in post #11103656external link
Did you use the Still Camera Assitent(sic) to find out if the 400D works with it?

Yea, I tried that and it said that it was able to download and capture images. It's also listed on their site as a camera which has been tested and is compatible.

There are drivers to download for the pc, but i can't find anything for the mac and it doesnt mention needing them in istopmotion so i was assuming it would support it natively.

http://drivers.softped​ia.com ...-PTP-WIA-Driver-130.shtmlexternal link

Post #6, Oct 15, 2010 14:43:52

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I enable ptp mode on xti/400D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES