Main dial on 50D didn't work...

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 22:51   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Cozmocha
Joined Oct 2010
728 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

The main dial (used to change shutter speed in manual.. by the shutter button) all of a sudden was not working. I was in the camera shop having them look at a lens I was having problems with and they messed with my camera and right after that this happened so I went back to the shop.

They took a look and reset my camera (I was unaware they where going to do that and wasnt very happy for them doing that right away with out asking) and it still wasn't working. Then they said it was going to be about $260 to replace it and might take 2-3 weeks to get the part from Canon. I didn't know what to say. But for kicks I tried the dial on the battery grip and that one was working fine. So that made me feel better. Then I tried the dial on the body again and it was working fine!!! Still works with no problems.

A little stressful but made me happy in the end (so far)! Am I the only one that this had happened to?

Post #1, Oct 16, 2010 22:51:29

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​mexternal link || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtriversexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jumpcut
Joined Oct 2008
182 posts
Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I havnt seen it myself, but other users have said that sometimes the battery grip can cause the camera to do strange things. It mainly seems to be bad electrical contact between the grip and the camera. Try taking the grip off and see if it comes good and then reattach the grip and hopefully will be all good.

Post #2, Oct 16, 2010 22:57:23

Darren

5D III, 7D, 40D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 II, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 24-70 F2.8L II, EF 70-200L f2.8 IS, EF 24-105L f4 IS, 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, 2xVivitar 285HV Flashes

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
2,748 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I assume you had the power button all the way in the on position? You do know that the power switch has two positions right?

Post #3, Oct 16, 2010 22:59:00

Please visit my Flickrexternal link and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II, Canon 580EX II

Cozmocha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
728 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The power switch doesn't change the dial I'm talking about. It could be the battery grip but I havent taken it off since I got it (about 2-3 months ago).

Everything is working fine now but it makes me worry that it might happen when I really need the camera.

Post #4, Oct 16, 2010 23:18:54

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​mexternal link || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtriversexternal link

Mevunky
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
1,110 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This occurred once on my 40D, I had to take the batteries out of the grip and everything came right again, never had a problem since (sold it about a year later).

Post #5, Oct 16, 2010 23:27:39

flickrexternal link - So much gear, so little skill.

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,168 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

This happens WHEN the dial on the grip is turned partially. And what I mean is that if you turn the little index-finger dial on both the camera body and the grip, you will notice that it "clicks" into position. But occasionally, you can rotate that index-finger wheel/dial and get it stuck halfway. When this happen on the grip, it will disable the index-finger wheel/dial on the body.

I've had this happen before every once in awhile. And rotating the wheel on the grip have always enabled the wheel on the body.

Post #6, Oct 16, 2010 23:34:42

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMugexternal link | Blogexternal link
My Review | "The Mighty One"external link
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Cozmocha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
728 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #11111074external link
This happens WHEN the dial on the grip is turned partially. And what I mean is that if you turn the little index-finger dial on both the camera body and the grip, you will notice that it "clicks" into position. But occasionally, you can rotate that index-finger wheel/dial and get it stuck halfway. When this happen on the grip, it will disable the index-finger wheel/dial on the body.

I've had this happen before every once in awhile. And rotating the wheel on the grip have always enabled the wheel on the body.

Interesting. It makes sense and I'm glad it isnt some random bug in the electronics now that I know what to do if it happens.

I just played around with the camera and you are so right! When I set the grip dial between clicks the body dial will not work. When I set the body dial between clicks the grip dial doesnt work too.

Post #7, Oct 16, 2010 23:52:31

-Kurt

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2008
10,168 posts
South Korea / Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

HA! This has to be the best forum on the interwebs...glad to see you don't have to throw a bunch of money out the window...if I were you I'd go back to the camera shop (for the last time) and tell them they're a bunch of doorknobs...but that's just me...

Post #8, Oct 17, 2010 01:25:28

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"
Joined Dec 2007
13,605 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

This happens to my 50D from time to time.. Although last night I shot over 300 pics at a concert and it didn't happen..BTW,, I always have a grip attached..

When it does, I just give the dial on the grip a quick turn.. It doesn't bother me..

Post #9, Oct 17, 2010 02:03:21 as a reply to LowriderS10's post 37 minutes earlier.

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreueexternal link
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2008
10,168 posts
South Korea / Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Gotta be a 50D thing...I've had a 10D, a 20D and two 30Ds, all with grips...NEVER ran into this problem...

Post #10, Oct 17, 2010 02:09:30

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,168 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Nope. Happened with my 40D. And it's happened with my 7D. It's just a matter of bumping that dial on the grip, and not having it move a full "click". Then again, the grip needs to be turned on in order for this to happen. So if the grip wasn't turned off, even if it's stuck halfway, it won't affect the dial on the body.

Post #11, Oct 17, 2010 02:11:45

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMugexternal link | Blogexternal link
My Review | "The Mighty One"external link
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"
Joined Dec 2007
13,605 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

LowriderS10 wrote in post #11111617external link
Gotta be a 50D thing...I've had a 10D, a 20D and two 30Ds, all with grips...NEVER ran into this problem...

It could be.. But what I've noticed with the both 20Ds I 've owned is that the shutter release on the grip can get quite sensitive..

Post #12, Oct 17, 2010 02:12:13

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreueexternal link
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
10,707 posts
Traryd, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

This is related to the simple quadrature encoders Canon uses on the dials, to count the clicks and register the direction of rotation at the same time. The two dials probably feed into the same inputs in the camera's electronics, and thus if one dial is in an intermediary position, it will block at least one of these inputs, which prevents decoding the other dial properly.
This is the same on all camera models I've played with, not only those I own (400D, 40D and 7D).

Post #13, Oct 17, 2010 05:49:14 as a reply to yogestee's post 3 hours earlier.

Anders

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

"...if I were you I'd go back to the camera shop (for the last time) and tell them they're a bunch of doorknobs...but that's just me..."

I don't see that at all. The shop staff sell a vast range of kit and cannot be expected to know these sorts of details about every product. When even a Canon user cannot figure it out, what chance has the shop staff.

Post #14, Oct 17, 2010 05:54:43 as a reply to apersson850's post 5 minutes earlier.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
1,471 posts
Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #11111074external link

Learned this the hard way also. Now when it happens I just move the grip dial and all is well.

Post #15, Oct 17, 2010 08:29:15

Tim
Equipment

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Main dial on 50D didn't work...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES