Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #1
Cozmocha

Default Main dial on 50D didn't work...

Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

The main dial (used to change shutter speed in manual.. by the shutter button) all of a sudden was not working. I was in the camera shop having them look at a lens I was having problems with and they messed with my camera and right after that this happened so I went back to the shop.

They took a look and reset my camera (I was unaware they where going to do that and wasnt very happy for them doing that right away with out asking) and it still wasn't working. Then they said it was going to be about $260 to replace it and might take 2-3 weeks to get the part from Canon. I didn't know what to say. But for kicks I tried the dial on the battery grip and that one was working fine. So that made me feel better. Then I tried the dial on the body again and it was working fine!!! Still works with no problems.

A little stressful but made me happy in the end (so far)! Am I the only one that this had happened to?
Cozmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #2
Jumpcut

Default Re: Main dial on 50D didn't work...

I havnt seen it myself, but other users have said that sometimes the battery grip can cause the camera to do strange things. It mainly seems to be bad electrical contact between the grip and the camera. Try taking the grip off and see if it comes good and then reattach the grip and hopefully will be all good.

5D III, 7D, 40D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 II, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 24-70 F2.8L II, EF 70-200L f2.8 IS, EF 24-105L f4 IS, 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, 2xVivitar 285HV Flashes
Jumpcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #3
Sdiver2489
Goldmember

I assume you had the power button all the way in the on position? You do know that the power switch has two positions right?

Gear:
Canon 7D, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6, Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro, Canon 17-55mm F2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 580EX II
Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #4
Cozmocha

The power switch doesn't change the dial I'm talking about. It could be the battery grip but I havent taken it off since I got it (about 2-3 months ago).

Everything is working fine now but it makes me worry that it might happen when I really need the camera.
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #5
Mevunky

This occurred once on my 40D, I had to take the batteries out of the grip and everything came right again, never had a problem since (sold it about a year later).
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #6
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

This happens WHEN the dial on the grip is turned partially. And what I mean is that if you turn the little index-finger dial on both the camera body and the grip, you will notice that it "clicks" into position. But occasionally, you can rotate that index-finger wheel/dial and get it stuck halfway. When this happen on the grip, it will disable the index-finger wheel/dial on the body.

I've had this happen before every once in awhile. And rotating the wheel on the grip have always enabled the wheel on the body.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2010 (Sat)   #7
Cozmocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
This happens WHEN the dial on the grip is turned partially. And what I mean is that if you turn the little index-finger dial on both the camera body and the grip, you will notice that it "clicks" into position. But occasionally, you can rotate that index-finger wheel/dial and get it stuck halfway. When this happen on the grip, it will disable the index-finger wheel/dial on the body.

I've had this happen before every once in awhile. And rotating the wheel on the grip have always enabled the wheel on the body.
Interesting. It makes sense and I'm glad it isnt some random bug in the electronics now that I know what to do if it happens.

I just played around with the camera and you are so right! When I set the grip dial between clicks the body dial will not work. When I set the body dial between clicks the grip dial doesnt work too.

Last edited by Cozmocha : 16th of October 2010 (Sat) at 23:57.
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #8
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

HA! This has to be the best forum on the interwebs...glad to see you don't have to throw a bunch of money out the window...if I were you I'd go back to the camera shop (for the last time) and tell them they're a bunch of doorknobs...but that's just me...
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #9
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

This happens to my 50D from time to time.. Although last night I shot over 300 pics at a concert and it didn't happen..BTW,, I always have a grip attached..

When it does, I just give the dial on the grip a quick turn.. It doesn't bother me..

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Last edited by yogestee : 17th of October 2010 (Sun) at 02:05.
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #10
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Gotta be a 50D thing...I've had a 10D, a 20D and two 30Ds, all with grips...NEVER ran into this problem...
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #11
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Nope. Happened with my 40D. And it's happened with my 7D. It's just a matter of bumping that dial on the grip, and not having it move a full "click". Then again, the grip needs to be turned on in order for this to happen. So if the grip wasn't turned off, even if it's stuck halfway, it won't affect the dial on the body.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #12
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
Gotta be a 50D thing...I've had a 10D, a 20D and two 30Ds, all with grips...NEVER ran into this problem...
It could be.. But what I've noticed with the both 20Ds I 've owned is that the shutter release on the grip can get quite sensitive..

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #13
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

This is related to the simple quadrature encoders Canon uses on the dials, to count the clicks and register the direction of rotation at the same time. The two dials probably feed into the same inputs in the camera's electronics, and thus if one dial is in an intermediary position, it will block at least one of these inputs, which prevents decoding the other dial properly.
This is the same on all camera models I've played with, not only those I own (400D, 40D and 7D).
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #14
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"

"...if I were you I'd go back to the camera shop (for the last time) and tell them they're a bunch of doorknobs...but that's just me..."

I don't see that at all. The shop staff sell a vast range of kit and cannot be expected to know these sorts of details about every product. When even a Canon user cannot figure it out, what chance has the shop staff.

http://rcb4344.zenfolio.com
Lowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of October 2010 (Sun)   #15
Tim S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post

Learned this the hard way also. Now when it happens I just move the grip dial and all is well.