Camera Left Camera Right definition please

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 13:11   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jvinlove
Joined Jun 2009
193 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello all, first let me say all of the images in this thread are fantastic and some are even Pham-tastic!!! I have a question that hopefully can be cleared up, Cam left and Cam right, what exactly does this mean is the OCF imeadiatly to your left or right when shooting, or is this mean to the left or right of the subject, I am fairly new to OCF and seem to be a little frustrated when I look at alot of my test I'm either to dark or blown way out never a middle ground no matter how I adjust shutter for ambient or appeture for flash, and even flash power seems to be non consistent. I am wondering if it is my flash distance to subject which brings me back to cam left and cam right
If I put my OCF to my left it seems harsh same with cam right. I hope I did not confuse you as much as I am, please help of any sugustions on how to understand lighting settle more.

Post #1, Oct 25, 2010 13:11:46

Canon 5Dc, 5D2, 5D3 :: 70mm-200mm f4L :: 85mm f1.8 :: 50mm f1.4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
10,705 posts
Traryd, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm not sure which images you are referring to, since there are none in this particular thread.
Personally, I always see left and right as I see it when I use the camera. How the subject sees it I don't care.

Post #2, Oct 25, 2010 13:16:56

Anders

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

Camera Left / Camera Right are in relation to where the camera is pointing and the opposite of where your subject is looking (provided, of course, they're looking at the camera!)

Camera Left = Subject Right
Camera Right = Subject Left

Post #3, Oct 25, 2010 13:21:25

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

pantherphotos
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
1,314 posts
Marysville, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

That's the way I understand it also. Cam left means my left and cam right means my right. Although I did see one image where someone had said they had flash cam left, but based on shadows, it was obviously cam right. So this may be a good question to ask!

Post #4, Oct 25, 2010 13:21:44

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/external linkFACEBOOKexternal link

jvinlove
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
193 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Im sorry, the photo's in the single light, multi light and alien bees threads,

i guess my confusion stems from the term itself in relation to where the light is actually placed ... in my mind if i hear camera right or left, i imagine that I can reach to my right and left and grab the light. So like if you look at Phamsters images and he says deep octa cam right at 6foot does he mean that the light is to my right but 6 foot from the subject, and then obviously that doesn't include how near or far i am from the subject

Post #5, Oct 25, 2010 13:41:34 as a reply to pantherphotos's post 19 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

jvinlove wrote in post #11162038external link

i guess my confusion stems from the term itself in relation to where the light is actually placed ... in my mind if i hear camera right or left, i imagine that I can reach to my right and left and grab the light. So like if you look at Phamsters images and he says deep octa cam right at 6foot does he mean that the light is to my right but 6 foot from the subject, and then obviously that doesn't include how near or far i am from the subject

The distance to/from the subject doesn't really matter. The illumination is predicated on Light <--> Subject distance. Whether you're six feet away or 6,000 feet, the subject is lit at an equal value so long as the light doesn't move.

Post #6, Oct 25, 2010 13:44:05

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Tawcan
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
2,679 posts
Vancouver Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Like what other have mentioned already, camera left/right is to relation to the photographer. It's the same ideas as when you climb and ski and say...

Climber's left = skier's right
Climber's right = skier's left

The distance from the light to the subject matters; the distance of your to the subject doesn't matter. As long as the light to subject distance stays consistent and the output power stays consistent then exposure should be the same regardless how far you are from the subject.

Post #7, Oct 25, 2010 13:51:09

boblai.comexternal link |Facebook Fanpageexternal link | Flickrexternal link

jvinlove
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
193 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

OK thanks makes more sense i know its a basic question and i appreciate the help, i just need to keep practicing, i think a big part of my problem is flash <-->Subject if i have it to far away it almost seems no matter what a do shutter or aperture its either to dark or to bright, light fall off is to quick and i am under or over exposing.

Post #8, Oct 25, 2010 14:04:57

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
16,606 posts
Bay Area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

jvinlove wrote in post #11162171external link
OK thanks makes more sense i know its a basic question and i appreciate the help, i just need to keep practicing, i think a big part of my problem is flash <-->Subject if i have it to far away it almost seems no matter what a do shutter or aperture its either to dark or to bright, light fall off is to quick and i am under or over exposing.

Need to pick up the basics. And get a lightmeter even a cheapy one to make the life easier.

Post #9, Oct 25, 2010 14:37:09

5dmk3, Sigma Art 35mm f1.4, 35L, 85L II, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2

jvinlove
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
193 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

already got on L-358

bobbyz wrote in post #11162358external link
Need to pick up the basics. And get a lightmeter even a cheapy one to make the life easier.

Post #10, Oct 25, 2010 14:43:51

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,373 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Keep in mind in terms of light softness there are two basic rules that apply. Bigger is softer, and closer is softer. Given a fixed size of modifier, the closer you get it to the subject the softer the light it will give. At a fixed distance a bigger light source will be softer than a smaller one.

Post #11, Oct 25, 2010 14:47:25

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
16,606 posts
Bay Area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

jvinlove wrote in post #11162393external link
already got on L-358

Then why you aren't nailing the exposure? Even if meter is off from camera (which it can) that offset should be same all the time.

Post #12, Oct 25, 2010 17:15:15

5dmk3, Sigma Art 35mm f1.4, 35L, 85L II, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

if i have it to far away it almost seems no matter what a do shutter or aperture its either to dark or to bright, light fall off is to quick and i am under or over exposing.

Yep, you

bobbyz wrote in post #11162358external link
Need to pick up the basics.

;)

Shutterspeed has no influence on flash exposure, only on ambient.

Flash exposure depends on flash setting and distance, aperture and ISO.
Ambient exposure depends on ambient light, aperture, shutterspeed and ISO.

Post #13, Oct 25, 2010 20:07:54

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Pyromaniac
Joined Dec 2004
539 posts
Mt Washington in Cincinnati, Oh
[MORE/SHARE]

jvinlove wrote in post #11162038external link

So like if you look at Phamsters images and he says deep octa cam right at 6foot does he mean that the light is to my right but 6 foot from the subject, and then obviously that doesn't include how near or far i am from the subject

When the says the light is at camera right at 6 foot, what he means is that light is generally to the right side of the camera and 6 feet high.

Post #14, Oct 25, 2010 21:18:57

www.actionstills.comexternal link | Ohio POTN Google Calendarexternal link | Blogexternal link

klr.b
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,509 posts
SoCal
[MORE/SHARE]

Tawcan wrote in post #11162099external link
Like what other have mentioned already, camera left/right is to relation to the photographer. It's the same ideas as when you climb and ski and say...

Climber's left = skier's right
Climber's left = skier's left

The distance from the light to the subject matters; the distance of your to the subject doesn't matter. As long as the light to subject distance stays consistent and the output power stays consistent then exposure should be the same regardless how far you are from the subject.

Well that's certainly confusing...that must be why I dont' climb or ski ;)

Post #15, Oct 27, 2010 16:09:36

gordon
Gear and Feedback

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Left Camera Right definition please
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES