Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #1
jvinlove

Default Camera Left Camera Right definition please

Hello all, first let me say all of the images in this thread are fantastic and some are even Pham-tastic!!! I have a question that hopefully can be cleared up, Cam left and Cam right, what exactly does this mean is the OCF imeadiatly to your left or right when shooting, or is this mean to the left or right of the subject, I am fairly new to OCF and seem to be a little frustrated when I look at alot of my test I'm either to dark or blown way out never a middle ground no matter how I adjust shutter for ambient or appeture for flash, and even flash power seems to be non consistent. I am wondering if it is my flash distance to subject which brings me back to cam left and cam right
If I put my OCF to my left it seems harsh same with cam right. I hope I did not confuse you as much as I am, please help of any sugustions on how to understand lighting settle more.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #2
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Camera Left Camera Right definition please

I'm not sure which images you are referring to, since there are none in this particular thread.
Personally, I always see left and right as I see it when I use the camera. How the subject sees it I don't care.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #3
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Camera Left / Camera Right are in relation to where the camera is pointing and the opposite of where your subject is looking (provided, of course, they're looking at the camera!)

Camera Left = Subject Right
Camera Right = Subject Left
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #4
pantherphotos

That's the way I understand it also. Cam left means my left and cam right means my right. Although I did see one image where someone had said they had flash cam left, but based on shadows, it was obviously cam right. So this may be a good question to ask!
FACEBOOK
pantherphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #5
jvinlove

Im sorry, the photo's in the single light, multi light and alien bees threads,

i guess my confusion stems from the term itself in relation to where the light is actually placed ... in my mind if i hear camera right or left, i imagine that I can reach to my right and left and grab the light. So like if you look at Phamsters images and he says deep octa cam right at 6foot does he mean that the light is to my right but 6 foot from the subject, and then obviously that doesn't include how near or far i am from the subject
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #6
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinlove View Post

i guess my confusion stems from the term itself in relation to where the light is actually placed ... in my mind if i hear camera right or left, i imagine that I can reach to my right and left and grab the light. So like if you look at Phamsters images and he says deep octa cam right at 6foot does he mean that the light is to my right but 6 foot from the subject, and then obviously that doesn't include how near or far i am from the subject
The distance to/from the subject doesn't really matter. The illumination is predicated on Light <--> Subject distance. Whether you're six feet away or 6,000 feet, the subject is lit at an equal value so long as the light doesn't move.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #7
Tawcan
Goldmember

Like what other have mentioned already, camera left/right is to relation to the photographer. It's the same ideas as when you climb and ski and say...

Climber's left = skier's right
Climber's right = skier's left

The distance from the light to the subject matters; the distance of your to the subject doesn't matter. As long as the light to subject distance stays consistent and the output power stays consistent then exposure should be the same regardless how far you are from the subject.

Last edited by Tawcan : 30th of October 2010 (Sat) at 19:31.
Tawcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #8
jvinlove

OK thanks makes more sense i know its a basic question and i appreciate the help, i just need to keep practicing, i think a big part of my problem is flash <-->Subject if i have it to far away it almost seems no matter what a do shutter or aperture its either to dark or to bright, light fall off is to quick and i am under or over exposing.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #9
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
OK thanks makes more sense i know its a basic question and i appreciate the help, i just need to keep practicing, i think a big part of my problem is flash <-->Subject if i have it to far away it almost seems no matter what a do shutter or aperture its either to dark or to bright, light fall off is to quick and i am under or over exposing.
Need to pick up the basics. And get a lightmeter even a cheapy one to make the life easier.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #10
jvinlove

already got on L-358

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Need to pick up the basics. And get a lightmeter even a cheapy one to make the life easier.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #11
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Keep in mind in terms of light softness there are two basic rules that apply. Bigger is softer, and closer is softer. Given a fixed size of modifier, the closer you get it to the subject the softer the light it will give. At a fixed distance a bigger light source will be softer than a smaller one.
gonzogolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #12
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
already got on L-358
Then why you aren't nailing the exposure? Even if meter is off from camera (which it can) that offset should be same all the time.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #13
René Damkot

Quote:
if i have it to far away it almost seems no matter what a do shutter or aperture its either to dark or to bright, light fall off is to quick and i am under or over exposing.
Yep, you
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Need to pick up the basics.

Shutterspeed has no influence on flash exposure, only on ambient.

Flash exposure depends on flash setting and distance, aperture and ISO.
Ambient exposure depends on ambient light, aperture, shutterspeed and ISO.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #14
Pyromaniac

Quote:

So like if you look at Phamsters images and he says deep octa cam right at 6foot does he mean that the light is to my right but 6 foot from the subject, and then obviously that doesn't include how near or far i am from the subject
When the says the light is at camera right at 6 foot, what he means is that light is generally to the right side of the camera and 6 feet high.
Pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of October 2010 (Wed)   #15
klr.b
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawcan View Post
Like what other have mentioned already, camera left/right is to relation to the photographer. It's the same ideas as when you climb and ski and say...

Climber's left = skier's right
Climber's left = skier's left

The distance from the light to the subject matters; the distance of your to the subject doesn't matter. As long as the light to subject distance stays consistent and the output power stays consistent then exposure should be the same regardless how far you are from the subject.
Well that's certainly confusing...that must be why I dont' climb or ski
klr.b is offline   Reply With Quote