Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 21:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is it Technically Feasable and Marketable?

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Oct 25, 2010 21:29 |  #1

I was just thinking of this..

I think theres a big market for a new rangefinder system...I think the new micro 4/3 system and other EVIL system cameras have proven that people want better quality in a more compact camera..

So I'm thinking what if someone one ups them...

what if, lets say an independent company launched a new Digital rangefinder, I'm thinking along these lines here.....

Body will use the Foveon 46mp sensor from the new Sigma SD1...sure its a 1.5x crop but it will make the camera cheaper and more compact, give it a proprietary mount, as well as offering adapters to couple Leica M-mount lenses (Thus giving you a large library of lenses) This sensor i think is ideally suited to the market by offering a unique look many rangefinder shooters are looking for, and hopefully acceptable high ISO performance

If that sensor was unavailable, Go to Sony and get their new 16mp unit, I know its not the best out there but tweaked well i think it would work alright

Also launch some lenses, since its a 1.5x crop I feel the standard lens should be a 24mm f/2 (Which is a 36mm f/2 equivalent, a popular lens in this type of camera) and also launch a 35mm f/1.8 (50mm equivalent) as well as a 60mm f/2 (90mm equivalent)

Down the line offer a 15mm f/3.5 (21.5mm equivalent) and a 35mm f/1.2 (for a ULTRA fast 50mm) as well as a 90mm f/2 (135mm equivalent) that uses a special eyepiece to magnify the Rangefinder view

Lenses would be chipped and keyed, and the rangefinder would have an LCD overlay similar to the 7D and Nikon DSLRs with the gridlines and stuff, Rangefinder would be kept VERY clean as well, with a minimum of distractions, however there would be an exposure meter along the right side, shutter speed indication and an aperture indication along the bottom of the screen, The rangefinder can be updated with composition lines for newly released lenses

The camera will also offer live view shooting, in case the person prefers that, with a 3" tilting rear 960k screen

The remarkable thing about it is that it would be priced at around $1200 body only, or $1500 in a kit with the 24mm f/2...

The lenses would mostly be under $1000, Everything made from magnesium and aluminum...

I think its realistically doable, and i think theres a lot of people who would pay for it if it had the image quality to back up its uniqueness...

Advantages are it has faster lenses than most of the competition, a lot of primes versus mostly zooms, high build quality befitting its higher pricetag, and the unique Foveon sensor which should provide it with some stunning colors

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006
North Carolina
Oct 26, 2010 10:14 |  #2

I think it's more likely that there will be a live LCD-view design than a rangefinder design, as long as they can conquer shutter lag. The LCD quality is very good and it would be less of a 'niche' product than a true rangefinder, because everyone is used to LCDs now. Rangefinders also aren't great for close focusing and you'd have to give up autofocus.

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Boston, USA / Burgundy, France
Oct 27, 2010 03:48 |  #3

It seems like what you're looking for isn't TOO different from a Fuji X100 with interchangeable lenses. So yes, it's technically feasible, and given the buzz the Fuji has created, likely marketable too (though the market isn't huge...you're never going to see a soccer mom with a rangefinder).

Personally I would rather see exactly that; an X100 with interchangeable lenses. I imagine the price would actually wind up a bit cheaper than what you've mentioned (though for lenses, who knows). Compact size, retro look, smaller lenses (no need for motors) with smooth MF rings, old-fashioned aperture ring...pure awesome. Put in a full-frame sensor, charge $1500, and I'd consider dropping my 5d2 for it.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500pxexternal link

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Oct 27, 2010 10:51 |  #4

DrPablo wrote in post #11167681external link
I think it's more likely that there will be a live LCD-view design than a rangefinder design, as long as they can conquer shutter lag. The LCD quality is very good and it would be less of a 'niche' product than a true rangefinder, because everyone is used to LCDs now. Rangefinders also aren't great for close focusing and you'd have to give up autofocus.

Well the no-autofocus isnt -entirely- true, Contax had the G1 after all...its possible, but i was thinking more simple

And for accurate close focus you'd use the LCD

The reason i came up with this is i -hate- the EVIL cameras specifically because EVFs make my eyes bleed and i find it very difficult to hold a camera steady and compose using the LCD screen...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,553 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 27, 2010 11:07 as a reply to KenjiS's post |  #5

The reason i came up with this is i -hate- the EVIL cameras specifically because EVFs make my eyes bleed and i find it very difficult to hold a camera steady and compose using the LCD screen...

DrPablo is right. A true rangefinder viewfinder-cum-LCD is not going to be a major seller.

I'd lay my money on a camera with an DSLR-ish form factor but with some dual-LCD system that puts an LCD in an eye-level viewfinder and another on the rear panel. Yes, there are some issues today, but I suspect they'll be solved in another five or six years.

2,344 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it Technically Feasable and Marketable?
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.