Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 30 Aug 2005 (Tuesday) 23:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

By popular request....workflow tutorial.

new2DSLR
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Sep 04, 2005 00:13 |  #31

Schmoelzel, just wanted to add my THANK YOU to the heapful you already got. Really appreciate you taking the time to unselfishly share something that will help all of us aspiring photographers.

Had a question about how you did the white-balance fix: did you seek a white item in the picture and used the dropper, or did you adjust by look-and-feel?

thanks again,

Brian

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,508 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Sep 04, 2005 01:54 |  #32

I wish you lived in the neighborhood so you could give me lessons. I just installed CS2 and am sooo overwhelmed..... I don't think I will ever learn all of this!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,857 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sep 04, 2005 05:00 |  #33

Maureen, I will pass on some advice that schmoelzel, and others here, gave me.
Buy "Real World Camera Raw for CS2" by Bruce Frasier.
It will fill you in pretty quickly.
As far as Photoshop itself goes, I've been using it for almost 10 years, and I still don't know all the ins and outs.
But there are some great tutorials on the web.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

Pelao
154 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Ontario, Canada
Sep 04, 2005 07:01 as a reply to drisley's post |  #34

I wish you lived in the neighborhood so you could give me lessons. I just installed CS2 and am sooo overwhelmed..... I don't think I will ever learn all of this!

Maureen
The key thing is that you don't need to learn all of it. PS is incredibly versatile and powerful.

I have been using PS heavily for about a year (CS and now CS2). You have most certainly seen these books mentioned before - they helped me, as did the lynda.com tutorials:

http://www.amazon.com ...v=glance&s=books&n=​507846external link

http://www.amazon.com ...-9724749?v=glance&s=boo​ksexternal link

5D, 20D, D Rebel
18-55 kit lens, Canon f4 70-200L, Canon f4 17-40L, Canon ef50 f/1.8, Canon 580EX, Canon 270EX, Epson R800

Tshoe
272 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Murrells Inlet, SC
Sep 04, 2005 07:23 as a reply to Pelao's post |  #35

Had to add my 2 cents, Great post!!!!!!!

Terry

Gallery at www.cameranut64.comexternal link

40D, Tamron 75-300, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Canon 50 1.8, kit lense, 550EX, CS4, Adobe LR 2.0, PhotoShop CS5, 3-2 gig & 2 4gig Sandisk Ultra CF cards.
P.O.T.N. camera strap (black)

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,884 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Birmingham, UK
Sep 04, 2005 11:10 |  #36

Fantastic!

What I have learnt this last two weeks is that really there is a big learning curve to using the camera and an even bigger curve to post processing, if one is to achieve the maximum from pretty much any shot.

With a good eye and practice I guess the whole flow can be completed quickly. I think I need to become a Monk or a Prisoner for 6 months to have the time and focus to be able to get it right.

In one way I am kinda glad that 'so much' work is involved in your shots. Thinking you got them like this straight out the camera was kinda discouraging :lol: :lol: Had I known all this before then maybe I'd have just stopped buying at my ex 300D and kit lens ;)

Great contribution. Thanks a lot!

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

schmoelzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lord of the Holy Trinity
1,889 posts
Joined Aug 2001
London (Canada)
Sep 04, 2005 23:01 as a reply to condyk's post |  #37

condyk wrote:
Fantastic!

What I have learnt this last two weeks is that really there is a big learning curve to using the camera and an even bigger curve to post processing, if one is to achieve the maximum from pretty much any shot.

With a good eye and practice I guess the whole flow can be completed quickly. I think I need to become a Monk or a Prisoner for 6 months to have the time and focus to be able to get it right.

In one way I am kinda glad that 'so much' work is involved in your shots. Thinking you got them like this straight out the camera was kinda discouraging :lol: :lol: Had I known all this before then maybe I'd have just stopped buying at my ex 300D and kit lens ;)

Great contribution. Thanks a lot!

Thanks and I am glad you found it informative. I never used a film SLR camera but from speaking to various pros in the past year, they liken the digital work-flow to the darkroom. I thought this was quite telling since the amount of time spent in the darkroom 'making' the photo took just as long or longer than sitting in front of the computer with PSCS!! I know when I have pressed the shutter button that I will 'have' to post-process the shot to make it what I want it to be............

schmoelzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lord of the Holy Trinity
1,889 posts
Joined Aug 2001
London (Canada)
Sep 04, 2005 23:03 as a reply to new2DSLR's post |  #38

new2DSLR wrote:
Schmoelzel, just wanted to add my THANK YOU to the heapful you already got. Really appreciate you taking the time to unselfishly share something that will help all of us aspiring photographers.

Had a question about how you did the white-balance fix: did you seek a white item in the picture and used the dropper, or did you adjust by look-and-feel?

thanks again,

Brian

Thanks Brian!! Glad it helps some..........as far as WB goes, I knew that the shot was taken it the shade so I just used the default shade setting in RAW (I accidentally had it set to daylight while shooting). This gave me the look that I remember when I took the shot.

BigRed450
635 posts
Joined Dec 2003
South Gillies, Ontario, Can
Sep 05, 2005 12:14 |  #39

Great job schmoelzel. I am sure many people will benefit greatly from your workflow. Thanks for taking the time to pass this on...

Jeff
CANON * EOS 1D MKIV * EOS 1D MKII *
* 100-400L IS, 300 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 24-70 f2.8L, 50 1.8 and alot of other gear.

JT Photographicsexternal link

schmoelzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lord of the Holy Trinity
1,889 posts
Joined Aug 2001
London (Canada)
Sep 07, 2005 14:04 as a reply to BigRed450's post |  #40

BigRed450 wrote:
Great job schmoelzel. I am sure many people will benefit greatly from your workflow. Thanks for taking the time to pass this on...

Glad to do it and it's great that the response has been positive.........I keep learning things here on these forums myself so it's good to give back some of what I have learned!

KevC
Goldmember
3,154 posts
Joined Jan 2005
to
Sep 09, 2005 11:53 |  #41

Wide Angle + Kids = Cute!!

Awesome tutorial, and great shots as always!! Love them!

Too much gear...
take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Austin, TX
Sep 14, 2005 15:10 |  #42

I had been switching back to jpeg from raw because my pp knowledge is -100. But since my Yellowstone trip two weeks ago, i have convinced myself to stick to raw. And your tutorial couldn't come in a better time for me. I applaud your unselfishness. The tutorial really helps beginners like me.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005
New Zealand
Sep 14, 2005 16:05 |  #43

Schmoelzel, thanks for the "tutorial" -- I learned something good today!!! Gr8 picture of your daughter too! ... makes me want to work on one... I have 2 boys who are growing up too quickly...! Then again, unless I'm 110% sure that it's going to be a girl... Cheers!

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

rfreschner
ishka bibble
2,576 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Andover, CT...................... Go Red Sox!
Sep 14, 2005 16:23 as a reply to cfcRebel's post |  #44

cfcRebel wrote:
i have convinced myself to stick to raw.

That's a very good move cfcRebel. I was trying to do the same when I first got my 20D and it just didn't work for me.

cfcRebel wrote:
And your tutorial couldn't come in a better time for me. I applaud your unselfishness. The tutorial really helps beginners like me.

Ditto, ditto, ditto!!

Rick
"We both can't be wrong; I must be right"
Bob Welch
Gear List

mkitson
169 posts
Joined Dec 2004
County Durham, England
Sep 14, 2005 16:46 |  #45

Thank you very much for the tutorial. I have gone back over some of my photos that I had given up on and have been chuffed to get a reasonable result now based on your workflow. I think the main eye opener has been the versatility of the shadow/highlight tool. Thought I'd share my latest effort of giving an old past over photo the schmoelzel treatment.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Martin Kitson

sponsored links

76,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
By popular request....workflow tutorial.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.