Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Critique Corner
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of October 2001 (Tue)   #1
mpkirby

Default VolleyBall Blues

Beach512 wrote:

> Nice shot! I love how you captured that moment and the expression on your sons'
> face is great! We all can relate to that. It is nice to see a "real life" moment shot.
> We can only shoot so many pictures of flowers, fire hydrants, dragonflies, buildings
> at night, etc. before we all cry ENOUGH!! Thanks for sharing this! Hope to see
> more soon.
>
> Dave

I suppose then I am obligated to provide the following image:

This was at my company picnic. The individual in question had just gotten smashed in the face with a volley ball. I was shooting in continuous shoot mode, and following the ball. Sometimes you get lucky.

Some criticism (easy with this one).

1) Too much motion blur. I should have made it a faster shutter speed (1/200 or higher)

2) Over-exposed on the face. Learn that under-exposed action shots can be recovered in photoshop, but overexposed are toast.

3) I shouldn't have been facing the sun (the original had a "haze" to it...I exposure balanced in qimage). Of course, had I not been facing the sun, I wouldn't have gotten the shot.

Mike
mpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of October 2001 (Wed)   #2
philgabe

Default Re: VolleyBall Blues

Mike:

I don't know if it's my computer screen or the resolution on my laptop, but the volleyball picture seems way oversharpened to me. I was wondering if you tried to save some of the motion blur with additional sharpening? If that's the case I would have left the background unsharpened (or more modestly sharpened) and done additional selective sharpening on the faces.

To help over-exposed areas, you could try the following technique (it may not work if the areas are so over-exposed that no information is recorded), but it may work....

1. select the overexposed areas (feather a bit)
2. copy
3. past as new layer
4. use "multiply" mode and play with the opacity.
5. if necessary redo all these steps a second time

To bring back details in areas that are underexposed do same but use the "screen" mode instead of the "multiply".

Otherwise, cool stuff!

Philippe
philgabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of October 2001 (Thu)   #3
mpkirby

You are right. I did apply a sharpening filter to it. Given the background, I probably should have applied it to just the foreground. I'll try excluding the tree from the sharpening filter.

Look for an update in a day or so.

Mike
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of October 2001 (Sat)   #4
mpkirby

Here is the updated volleyball picture. I don't think it made a huge difference. Perhaps its the jpeg artifacts (because I was shooting in continuous, I used jpeg, not raw.

It also could be the down-sizing for the monitor. I didn't use any fancy resolution conversion.

Mike
Old 11th of October 2001 (Thu)   #5
philgabe

Hey Mike, I really cannot tell the difference either, but then I'm using a rather poor screen (my office laptop IBM 240). This screen just sucks totally to view pictures.

Philippe
philgabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of October 2001 (Fri)   #6
mpkirby

Hmm. Perhaps on the original it would be easier to tell. In the second one, there was no sharpening on the tree. I use a low sharpening setting in the camera as well.

Mike
Old 23rd of January 2002 (Wed)   #7
gerry

nice capture, but i would have cropped a lot tighter

left out those distracting company men in the background.

this picture pleads, crop me!
gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2002 (Wed)   #8
Leighow
Goldmember

MIKE

My reaction to the first picture was -- not knowing that you had sharpened -- the weird look of the foreground tree.

I had noticed the same condition on a leafless maple tree that I was viewing at about 15% size. That tree's thin branches looked all broken-up -- as if the sky had moved on the light spots. In fact I thought that the camera had a problem.

But zoom in, and (to my relief) every single branch and branchlet was captured in continuous detail.

I bet that on the 3 ft x 2 ft blow-up, the leaves on the foreground trees are in great shape.

Interesting! Very interesting!!

HOWIE
Leighow is offline   Reply With Quote