Scan or photograph old photos?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 17 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 02:30   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

hania
Joined Nov 2004
904 posts
Staffordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Any ideas which may give the better results?

Scanning will takes ages but can do a whole sheet at a time - these are photos from the 1940's and so are only about 3x2 in.

photographing - can get in really close with macro lens - but have to do each individually - could do a whole page i suppose but harder to get exactly parallel.

any ideas ? not sure if this is in right place; I did try searching forums but didn't find anything.

Post #1, Nov 17, 2010 02:30:11

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
7,198 posts
SoCal, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd get an inexpensive flatbed scanner. They should scan fairly quick as you don't need to scan at a very high resolution for prints. 300 dpi, 600 dpi max.

Post #2, Nov 17, 2010 08:50:03

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
Joined Dec 2006
5,566 posts
New Mexico, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

hania wrote in post #11299077external link
Any ideas which may give the better results?.

Scan. But first get Ctein's book, Digital Restoration from Start to Finish, 2nd Edition.

Also Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration & Retouching.

Post #3, Nov 17, 2010 10:27:29

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10864029#post10​864029

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
Joined Jul 2005
3,335 posts
The Miami of Canada - Chicago!
[MORE/SHARE]

The other issue with photographing the prints will be lighting/glare.

Get a scanner, it will be much faster and give more consistent results.

Post #4, Nov 17, 2010 10:27:29 as a reply to crn3371's post 1 hour earlier.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,492 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I got curious about the relative quality, so I just did this quick test. I took a 4x6 photo (originally shot on film), and scanned it with a Canon 8800F scanner at 600 dpi. Then I photographed it using a 40D with a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro lens at ISO 400 using f/4, mounted on tripod (admittedly shot under CFL, so I had to correct WB during post processing) as a RAW file converted with Lightroom 2.
As scanned, the result was 3512x2376 pixels; as shot the result was 3888x2592 pixels. I then took about a 10% section of each photo (leaving sections at 100%)...

As scanned...
http://i69.photobucket​.com ...ltonw/as_scannedpho​to.jpgexternal link
As shot...
http://i69.photobucket​.com ...ltonw/as_photograph​ed.jpgexternal link

Not sure if I could improve the photographic version with changes in post processing settings or by shooting at f/5.6, but based upon this quick test, I would not bother with the photography, but I would use the scanner.

Post #5, Nov 17, 2010 10:45:07

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd take a look at your sharpening / NR settings in LR. Or try DPP.
The "shot" image could be much better with decent sharpening IMO.

Post #6, Nov 17, 2010 10:54:36

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,492 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

René Damkot wrote in post #11300611external link
I'd take a look at your sharpening / NR settings in LR. Or try DPP.
The "shot" image could be much better with decent sharpening IMO.

Originally used sharpening settings of 132/1.7/57/49 in LR. I altered the Radius from 1.7 to 3.0 and output this, as shot...

http://i69.photobucket​.com .../i63/wiltonw/as_sho​t2.jpgexternal link

As scanned...
http://i69.photobucket​.com ...ltonw/as_scannedpho​to.jpgexternal link

No doubt futher tweaking of brightness and contrast, etc. in post processing could get more improvement from the as-shot version, but with the immediate and easy superiority of the scanned version, I don't think I'd want to spend the time and effort of tweaking the photographic process further. Way too easy to plunk the photo on the scanner, compared to having to mount it temporarily on a flat surface to photograph.

Post #7, Nov 17, 2010 11:06:19

Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #11300665external link
No doubt futher tweaking of brightness and contrast, etc. in post processing could get more improvement from the as-shot version, but with the immediate and easy superiority of the scanned version, I don't think I'd want to spend the time and effort of tweaking the photographic process further.

Agree with that.

Oh, and linked the images since they were larger then 1024 px ;)

Post #8, Nov 17, 2010 11:29:54

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Wilt
Joined Aug 2005
33,492 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

René Damkot wrote in post #11300803external link
Agree with that.

Oh, and linked the images since they were larger then 1024 px ;)

mea culpa! Thanks for remedying the oversight, René. My brain had 1280 as the max just now.

Post #9, Nov 17, 2010 11:34:05

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
Joined Dec 2006
5,566 posts
New Mexico, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I scan old photos at 600dpi, 48 bit mode (16 x 3), and either Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB.

When rephotographing, there's no reason not to use HDR techniques just like any other photography.

Post #10, Nov 17, 2010 11:59:25 as a reply to Wilt's post 25 minutes earlier.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10864029#post10​864029

kirkt
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
4,317 posts
Philadelphia, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

As long as your scanner is set up correctly and profiled, like your camera (in RAW) is, then color reproduction should be no problem. If your scanner produces color results that shift or cause issues in a color managed workflow, then you should address that before having to correct all of the images you scan. With photographing using RAW, you can shoot a CC target under the lighting conditions you set up (2 lights at 45 degrees to the photo surface) and get an accurate color profile that you can apply in batch to all of the images, in a RAW converter like LR.

If the photos are aged and may have issues with mounting for photography or may get damaged in a flatbed scanner, that may something to consider.

Kirk

Post #11, Nov 17, 2010 12:33:02

Kirk
---

sponsored links
hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2004
904 posts
Staffordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

many thanks to you all - shall scan I think !

Post #12, Nov 17, 2010 13:12:47 as a reply to kirkt's post 39 minutes earlier.

Gear List

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I haven't used a scanner in some time, but I know that at least some scanning software will recognize multiple "objects" which could be a huge plus with smaller photos -- scan 6 or 8 snaps at a time and they are automatically saved as separate images.

Post #13, Nov 17, 2010 14:48:52

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

tonylong wrote in post #11301895external link
I haven't used a scanner in some time, but I know that at least some scanning software will recognize multiple "objects" which could be a huge plus with smaller photos -- scan 6 or 8 snaps at a time and they are automatically saved as separate images.

Photoshop (CS and newer I think) can do this as well.
http://help.adobe.com ...3e41001031ab64-762ea.htmlexternal link

Post #14, Nov 17, 2010 15:11:36

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scan or photograph old photos?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES