Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #1
CyberManiaK

Default 60d/50d AF in Ai-Servo ?

Hi somenone here have done a similar test ? http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogsp...peed-test.html

Im curious to see how it performs the 60D i'm in doubt about which one to get D7000 or 60D (i'm jumping ship from sony alpha)

Thanks.
CyberManiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #2
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: 60d/50d AF in Ai-Servo ?

Let me start by saying I've never used the 50D/60D before. My only experience w/ Canon's 9-point AF is with my previous 40D. But I am of the understanding that the AF had stayed the same (and only the 5D2 has additional, non-selectable "hidden" assist points in servo for the center point)... I can only assume that the 50D & 60D aren't much better than the 40D in that regards.

So with that said... if you're big on sports/action/tracking... and choosing between the 50D/60D/D7000, then on paper, I believe the D7000 will have the advantage of the 3 cameras.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #3
CyberManiaK

thanks. Well I have doing a lot of research in this couple of weeks and some says that the 50D have AF improvement over the 40D because of the DIGIC III vs DIGIC IV.

I'm with you, in paper the D7K sound like a killer camera, but those are only specs, and not always those specs are well suited for real world experience.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #4
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Well, I felt that the issue w/ my 40D was the (limited) 9-point AF. I don't know if Digic III vs. Digic IV would have made a difference there. With the 7D (I can expand), w/ a 5D2, there are hidden assist point in the center, and w/ the Nikon AF (I can only assume the closely positioned AF points are more beneficial and can only help, not hurt for tracking).

D7000 sounds like a great little performer and worthy of praise. If I was starting fresh and choosing between Canon/Nikon at that price range, the D7000 would most likely be my pick.

However, as you noted, there's certainly more to photography than what camera body you're shooting. Because ultimately, you'll end up with a lens line-up. So before you decide, think beyond the camera bodies and look at what lenses you might want. After that, then decide on the system and go from there.

Whether it turns out to be Nikon or Canon, at least you had came to that decision being well-informed.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #5
CyberManiaK

I already know the lens I will use for both systems will be sigma 10-20, tamron 28-75 F2.8 on the tele department If i go with nikon i will get the 80-200 F2.8 (1 ring version) and if i go with canon 70-200 F4L So thinks are narrowed now to the body selection lol. Also the price of the 60D right now is very appealing. But i don't want to base my decision on the initial price.

I will be doing landscape <both will do it great> and also offroad racing, <here is were i'm more concern.

Thanks.
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #6
firehawk-aut

There is a (little) difference in the AF which is the algorithm, according to http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/t...port/2010/10/:
Quote:
The EOS 60D carries the 50Ds AF sensor with nine cross-type points but also features the latest AI Servo AF II algorithm, which provides stable, precise autofocus on moving subjects.
firehawk-aut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #7
mansalim

Even the 50D AI Servo hold up quite well.. Search the 50D user group, there are tons of picture taken using AI Servo that is dead on..

Motorcross

the picture isnt mine, but it is one of my favorite.. credit to kris142
If you can afford D7000, i think you can afford 7D.. 19-cross type sensors (high precision?) and 8fps..
I think D7000 only has 9 cross-type sensors.. and to my understanding cross type sensors are more precise and accurate.
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #8
CyberManiaK

That is an awesome pic. spot on !! Well I really can't afford the 7D if i want to get the tamron 28-75, maybe i could if got a used P&S and try the canon loyalty program. But in a personal preference i don't think i want to go that big/weight in body. Thats why i'm narrowing to a 60D body.

BTW: If anyone know any link for a similar test as the first link i will appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #9
asamimasa

I wouldn't trust the focusing of the Tamron 28-75 to be stellar at tracking moving objects. The 17-50 and 70-200 I had by them have shown very poor AI servo results compared to USM/HSM lenses that I've messed around with.
The 40D tracking system isn't terrible- I used to shoot high school sports with it coupled with a Canon 70-200 F4L and came up with many more keepers than the journalism class photographers.

Upon messing around with two D7000s owned by my apartmentmates and hearing what they had to say, it seems the D7000 doesn't feel as "snappy" to lock focus compared to a 7D (although this may have been due to lens choice).
Old 17th of November 2010 (Wed)   #10
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberManiaK View Post
That is an awesome pic. spot on !! Well I really can't afford the 7D if i want to get the tamron 28-75, maybe i could if got a used P&S and try the canon loyalty program. But in a personal preference i don't think i want to go that big/weight in body. Thats why i'm narrowing to a 60D body.

BTW: If anyone know any link for a similar test as the first link i will appreciate it.

Thanks.
That lens is going to have a bigger effect on focusing than the body.

Right now I think the Canon and Nikon offerings are very, very close. I'd rate em'

D3100 = T2i (push)
D7000 > 60D
D300s < 7D
D700 > 5D Mark II

But I do not shoot video. The video guys always jump in and defend the 5D2.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #11
CyberManiaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by asamimasa View Post
I wouldn't trust the focusing of the Tamron 28-75 to be stellar at tracking moving objects. The 17-50 and 70-200 I had by them have shown very poor AI servo results compared to USM/HSM lenses that I've messed around with.
The 40D tracking system isn't terrible- I used to shoot high school sports with it coupled with a Canon 70-200 F4L and came up with many more keepers than the journalism class photographers.

Upon messing around with two D7000s owned by my apartmentmates and hearing what they had to say, it seems the D7000 doesn't feel as "snappy" to lock focus compared to a 7D (although this may have been due to lens choice).
No.. the 28-75 would be my walkaround lens, my "sport" lens would be either the 70-200 F4L or the nikon 80-200 F2.8

Well i went to try a 50D with 28-135 and also a d90 with 18-105, and i feel the 50d was faster in focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
That lens is going to have a bigger effect on focusing than the body.

Right now I think the Canon and Nikon offerings are very, very close. I'd rate em'

D3100 = T2i (push)
D7000 > 60D
D300s < 7D
D700 > 5D Mark II

But I do not shoot video. The video guys always jump in and defend the 5D2.
In my opinion the t2i is superior to the d3100/d5000, nikon bodys are only worth until you touch the D90 and up because the lack of in body motor.

uhmm i found this intresting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdDu8hvBqJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irh2oQi2F1c

The d7000 is a bit faster but it also slow down faster than the 60d. i suppose they are using a same speed card.
Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #12
asamimasa

WIth a D7000 and 80-200 2.8 you'd be golden, although it would be substantially more expensive than the proposed Canon alternative.

Those videos exist for pretty much every modern camera. I'm a bit skeptical that they both had the same quality settings though. I counted 19 shots from the D7000 (before slowing down), and 31 from the Canon, which is a huge difference.

If you've got the cash, the D7000 is a pretty sweet camera; I've handled two of my friends' and they perform outstandingly.
Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #13
CyberManiaK

asamimasa.. Well the 80-200/2.8 would be the 1 ring version.. however i know that the D7000 has some nice features, but reading thru the manual i see that because all those features can be a little complicated to operate in a hurry. Also what i dont like too much is that you have to keep pressed the buttons to change some features for example ISO, AF mode, etc.. im used to my old sony a300 press the buton once, make the change with the dial and click !! of course the final decision would be made once i can feel both cameras side by side and see which one i can operate easier and quickly. But im leaning towards the 60d from what i read on the manual, it seems like its way more easy to get the shot done, or even a t2i to see if I get used to the canon system, invest in some glass and later, once canon react with something to compete with the d7k grab that one.

btw: I found here some test of AI-servo http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx almost at the bottom of the page are 8 shots.
Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #14
number six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberManiaK View Post
No.. the 28-75 would be my walkaround lens, my "sport" lens would be either the 70-200 F4L or the nikon 80-200 F2.8

Well i went to try a 50D with 28-135 and also a d90 with 18-105, and i feel the 50d was faster in focus.
That's interesting. Because the 28-135 is pretty slow focusing (until recently I had one with my 50D).

The 50D and 60D focus much faster with the right lens. My 50D with the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS is nearly instantaneous. My 70-200 f/4 L isn't as fast, but it's significantly faster than the 28-135.

-js
number six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #15
cc10d

I prefer my 7D to the 7000 but then it costs a bit more. I also, several years ago decided that the Cannon lens system was the best, for me. I have not been dissapointed yet!