Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #1
gfdfgdfg

Default Best device + software to calibrate iMac 27"

Hi all,

I've been reading up on the iMac calibration issues people have had, and it's making me stress!

So, I'm hoping someone can suggest a tried and true method of getting screen and print colours matching up? Some people say Colormunki, others use the Spyder, I just want to know which will give me solid results and is fairly easy to use.

I use a Canon 7D and Aperture, do I need to calibrate these? If not, what colour setting should I be using.

Finally, what photo printer do you guys use? I need to get a new one, but would like to hear what is suggested first.

Thanks.
gfdfgdfg is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #2
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"

Default Re: Best device + software to calibrate iMac 27"

ColorMunki, Spyder3 Elite, or ColorEyes Display Pro software with the puck of your choice will all be able to calibrate the iMacs automatically via software... No need to make any adjustments via monitor controls.

My first choice would be the ColorMunki since it does a great job of monitor calibration AND creates custom printer profiles. Second choice, CEDP software.

For a printer, I have a long discontued HP 8750. It uses 9 inks, including black, medium gray, and light gray, for excellent B&W.

Among current printers, look at the Epson 2880 or 3880, or the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MkII and 9500 MkII.

Last edited by ChasP505 : 18th of November 2010 (Thu) at 08:57.
ChasP505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2010 (Thu)   #3
gfdfgdfg

Have you actually calibrated an iMac 27" with any of these devices? If so which did you use/which gave the best results?

I have read the luminance is an issue which must be addressed with ColorEyes, and the reflective screen also gives trouble. Not to mention a lot of poor reviews for all on Amazon.

Until I hear from iMac owners who have successful calibrated their own, I'm a bit nervous about taking a leap.

Thanks for the printer suggestions. 9000 looks good.
gfdfgdfg is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #4
pixelmorph

I realize this is now an older post but..

I've had the same issues trying to find the right device to calibrate my 27" iMac as well. I tried the Eye-One display 2 and that didn't work because you can't adjust the RGB sliders. However, I discovered that you can use the puck along with the ColorEyes and it will create a profile. What sucked though is... once i made a profile i was NOT happy with the results because the screen was so dim and the colors all seemed to get muddy and washed out instead of "popping" like they do when i have my iMac set to default.

*Sighhhh* .. so, I'm thinking of buying a Color Munki at this point. I really don't want to spend the money but if it's going to do the job then it's money well spent.

Does anyone know how close or far off iMacs tend to be right out of factory anyway??

Cheers,
Kelli
pixelmorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #5
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"

Kelli, you can buy a Spyder3 Express kit and use the hardware with your ColorEyes software. The Spyder3 puck is more suited for wide gamut and LED backlit displays.

Last edited by ChasP505 : 10th of February 2011 (Thu) at 16:37.
ChasP505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #6
pixelmorph

Is that what you use for your own iMac? Sounds like a plan although there's alot of Spyder rumors and they're not good.

I'll look into it though, thanks!
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #7
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelmorph View Post
Is that what you use for your own iMac? Sounds like a plan although there's alot of Spyder rumors and they're not good.

I'll look into it though, thanks!
I don't own a Mac, but I've used Spyder2 and Spyder3 products for many years with no issues. At my former employer, we calibrated the ACD's with the Spyder3 Elite.

Yes, I still use a Spyder3 puck with CEDP software.
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #8
Greg Edge

The Color Eyes comes with a Spyder 3 calibrator or you can buy the software stand alone. If you go with the Spyder 3 system make sure you get the Elite otherwise you can't set the luminance.

Out of the box the iMacs are too bright so your prints will be dark compared to the display. Otherwise the iMac display is very good. Also Color Eyes sells monitor hoods for the iMacs which are very helpful because of the glossy display.
Greg Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #9
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Edge View Post
The Color Eyes comes with a Spyder 3 calibrator or you can buy the software stand alone.
You can use the Spyder3 Express puck as CEDP does not utilize or need the ambient light sensor found on the Elite version. Besides this function, the two versions of the Spyder3 puck are identical.

CEDP software automatically adjusts the Brightness of the iMac via DDC communication. You enter the target luminance value in the software and it automatically sets the monitor brightness.
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #10
pixelmorph

I see that the CEDP adjusted the brightness nicely, but my colors look extremely desaturated. Is this normal??
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #11
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelmorph View Post
I see that the CEDP adjusted the brightness nicely, but my colors look extremely desaturated. Is this normal??
It often takes time to get used to a dimmer monitor. Judge from your screen to print matching.
Old 10th of February 2011 (Thu)   #12
bohdank
Cream of the Crop

What Chas says.

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer
Flickr
bohdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2011 (Sat)   #13
Mac Mahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdfgdfg View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading up on the iMac calibration issues people have had, and it's making me stress!

So, I'm hoping someone can suggest a tried and true method of getting screen and print colours matching up? Some people say Colormunki, others use the Spyder, I just want to know which will give me solid results and is fairly easy to use.

I use a Canon 7D and Aperture, do I need to calibrate these? If not, what colour setting should I be using.

Finally, what photo printer do you guys use? I need to get a new one, but would like to hear what is suggested first.

Thanks.
I use an i1 Display on my glossy iMac and it works fine - I get a better profile than I can get using the iMac's built in 'by eye' method.

I use a Canon Pro 9000 and I can get excellent screen print match using Canon's papers and inks. Attaching the correct print profile for your paper and ink combination is critical. Aperture gives you the opportunity to apply the correct profile at the print stage.

But if you stray into using 3rd party papers and/or inks you can get you deep into colour problem solving while trying to establish a good print profile. My suggestion is 'don't go there' but if you do, you're likely to need a device for making print profiles too - in that case the Colormunki might be a good choice because you can use it to profile both monitor and printer paper/ink.

Cheers
Tim

Last edited by Pekka : 27th of April 2011 (Wed) at 07:58. Reason: quote fix
Mac Mahon is offline   Reply With Quote