Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 18 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 18:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Infrared (IR) Image gallery

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Nov 30, 2010 00:52 as a reply to post 11368094 |  #31

Eh...I always hate showing people my stuff, but I'd might as well start doing it. Because I'm going to criticize the HELL out of other peoples' pictures, and it'd probably be sort of a "troll action" if I did so without showing people any of my own stuff. So...here are a few of my infrared pictures...

IMAGE: http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Fun_With_Frogs/biglagoon2J.jpg

IMAGE: http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Fun_With_Frogs/fort3.jpg

IMAGE: http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Fun_With_Frogs/dogir.jpg

IMAGE: http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Fun_With_Frogs/reflectionir.jpg

IMAGE: http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Fun_With_Frogs/tree.jpg

IMAGE: http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Fun_With_Frogs/IMG_1683.jpg

sponsored links
bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Avoca Beach, east coast of Oz.
Nov 30, 2010 04:32 as a reply to post 11368094 |  #32

woodsj6 wrote in post #11361460external link
^^^^ awesome stuff, I love the variety...something other than your typical landscapes in IR.

Thanks for your comments, I have found IR works well for many subjects.

Scottdog129 wrote in post #11365697external link
Holy crap!! Look at that water!! Awesome!!

Thanks a lot, the colour conversion action allows for lots of tweaking.....I went for a fantasy effect here.

Eos 30D, 300D modified for IR,Sigma 50mm f1.4, 15mm f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 550EX, Slik Pro 700DX tripod. G12.
www.pinballimages.smug​mug.comexternal link

PlayersZ28
550 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Caledon,ON
Nov 30, 2010 05:17 as a reply to bikerider's post |  #33

Just found this thread. Here's a few of mine.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Canon -> A1, 1D (gone), G10, XT IR, 7D and some glass of various lengths and colors

PlayersZ28
550 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Caledon,ON
Nov 30, 2010 05:21 |  #34

I've converted and used a number of digital cameras. Gone through Canon G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,XT and Nikon 5400,5700. With DSLR's not all lenses will work properly, on some you'll see a hotspot in the center of the image due to the coatings and internal reflections. If you want to get into it then a converted camera is best as the shutter times are pretty much normal. You can have the hot filter removed and then use the camera for IR and normal work but you'll always need some type of filter on it. For those interested in conversions there is/was a thread in here somewhere. I think it's in the G camera section.

Edit: found it. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=40366

Canon -> A1, 1D (gone), G10, XT IR, 7D and some glass of various lengths and colors

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Avoca Beach, east coast of Oz.
Nov 30, 2010 14:35 |  #35

PlayersZ28 wrote in post #11368778external link
You can have the hot filter removed and then use the camera for IR and normal work but you'll always need some type of filter on it. For those interested in conversions there is/was a thread in here somewhere. I think it's in the G camera section.

Edit: found it. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=40366

Yes that's true, I usually use a CPL to get the best results.

Eos 30D, 300D modified for IR,Sigma 50mm f1.4, 15mm f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 550EX, Slik Pro 700DX tripod. G12.
www.pinballimages.smug​mug.comexternal link

fireman185eco
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Louisville Kentucky
Dec 03, 2010 09:55 |  #36

I Love IR!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon T1I, Canon S5, Canon 18-55, 28-135,70-300 IS, and a 6600mm macro lens with a laser on it.

xarqi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Aotearoa/New Zealand
Dec 07, 2010 02:14 |  #37

As the O.P. here I'd like to thank you for your contributions!

It's a much broader and more fertile field than I had thought.

Keep 'em coming.

(Bump? What bump?)

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Texas
Dec 17, 2010 22:43 as a reply to xarqi's post |  #38

Sent a 40D off to Lifepixel today. Asked for the Super Color IR Filter.

Hope to get some help from some of you guys. :D

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Jan 03, 2011 08:37 |  #39

woodsj6 wrote in post #11317183 (external link)
but you can also have a camera modified. The only problem with this is that you cannot reverse the procedure...you must be willing to have a dedicated camera for infrared photography.

I was not willing to have on of my two DSLr cameras permamently modified for infrared, back then. I want to have still a backup system for visible.
So I invented a way to excange the filter inside the camera: The filters are special grind down, and are now between mirror and shutter! The are directly on the shutter, and can be changed through the mirror box - on has to hold the mirror up, and work there with tweezers. On my camera AF is no longer working, but probably this can be fixed - I do not need AF.

Picture taken with that camera and Tokina 17 mm:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Ruegen/slides/Strandspaziergang_auf_Ruegen.jpg

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,585 posts
Joined Jul 2008
West Michigan
Jan 04, 2011 22:43 |  #40

I've found post-processing to be very tricky and finicky for IR pics taken with a 720nm filter over the lens, and I can't yet justify the cost of a dedicated LifePixel conversion. I do like the false color renditions when done well, but am not much of a fan of the B&W. These are my two best efforts so far, and are from my former S3IS:

HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

CraigΣ 10-20|SP 28-80 AD2|SP 60-300 AD2|Soligor 75-260 M42|Soligor 400 T4|Soligor C/D 500 T2 cat|Zuiko 50 1.8|Vivitar 28 2.8 OM|Hanimar 135 3.5 13-blade M42|Even more Manual-Focus Glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jan 06, 2011 01:12 |  #41

ZoneV wrote in post #11563405 (external link)
I was not willing to have on of my two DSLr cameras permamently modified for infrared, back then. I want to have still a backup system for visible.
So I invented a way to excange the filter inside the camera: The filters are special grind down, and are now between mirror and shutter! The are directly on the shutter, and can be changed through the mirror box - on has to hold the mirror up, and work there with tweezers. On my camera AF is no longer working, but probably this can be fixed - I do not need AF.

Picture taken with that camera and Tokina 17 mm:

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice, though I don't particularly like those hexagonal lens flare spots.

Very good image, and good job for taking the initiative to actually do things for yourself when there was no one around to do it for you.

Though that makes me wonder...it ought to be very EASY for someone to do that for you, right? I mean...all you basically did was find a means to switch filters in the same camera. And in that case, you were working AGAINST the camera maker's design.

So...how much did it cost you to get that to work? How much time/effort/money did it cost you to retain the camera's initial functions while ADDING the ability to use infrared? Certainly less than the cost of a flat-out conversion, or else you would've just done that.

So...how expensive could it be for camera manufacturers to INCLUDE IR-passing filters along with IR-blocking filters, and to then allow both of those filters to be switched depending on the user's intent? I mean...if that were actually incorporated into the basic design of a camera model, and then distributed across thousands of units sold, then the cost of manufacturing a particular unit has to go down, right? So aside from the "they;re deliberately leaving that capability out in order to make you buy TWO cameras if you want to do infrared", is there any reason why infrared capabilities can't be utilized on a camera that allows switching between infrared and visible light modes? You already modified your camera to do BOTH, and that was working against the original design. If the manufacturers simply incorporated that design into the camera in the first place, and then distributed the research/development/m​anufacturing costs across THOUSANDS of units sold, what would be the actual cost (per unit sold) for someone like Canon to include that feature as one of the basic functions of their SLRs?

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Jan 06, 2011 03:48 |  #42

Clean Gene wrote in post #11583178external link
Very good image, and good job for taking the initiative to actually do things for yourself when there was no one around to do it for you....

Thanks Clean Gene!
I like to do new things, pioneering. Not things I have already in my Photo DIY Directory.
It is a bit risky most for the equipment, but in the rest of my life I avoid risks.

The main effort was to have the idea and to grind the filters.
The cost (without time) for me was cheaper than a normal conversion - and I have more filters (they could be much smaller than those in front of the lens).
My toughts to make that more usable for normal users, is to make something like a thin black frame around the filter, with that the user has not to work with tweezer in the camera box.

For a camera manufacturer this would be not much cost, I suppose 5-20 US$ per additional filter.
But the problem is warranty and support:
The customer could touch the sensor - this is not that risky, but there is a risk. More risky is that the shutter is very near. Dust is in my version a big problem - and it would be the same with a version that a manufacturer makes. As long as users want clean cameras to use their images without dust cleaning, such an idea is not sellable in larger numbers.

whowie
307 posts
Joined May 2004
Eastern Canada
Jan 12, 2011 18:44 as a reply to post 11313547 |  #43

Like the one with the Easter Island looking thingy in it.

http://www.lightimages​.orgexternal link
Canon EOS 70 D, Canon EOS 30D, PowerShot G3. Powershot SX120 IS, assorted lenses, flashes, filters, bags, tripods, some film gear, etc. etc.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Michigan, home of the Zombie plague
Jan 12, 2011 20:52 |  #44

I didn't know there was an IR thread going here! It's a shame it's so small :*( Nothing to contribute at this time, but I may pick up a cheap body with enhanced color filter in the future :)

My Gearlist

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Jan 13, 2011 06:10 |  #45

There ist a second thread- called 5DII - but different cameras inside as picture examples.

Here a image of my universal camera EOS 350D:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Infrarot/slides/_MG_4515.jpg

sponsored links

149,751 views & 82 likes for this thread
Infrared (IR) Image gallery
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.