FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 19 Nov 2010 (Friday) 19:30   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

angelIV
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

just a quick questions how much do canon charge to clean a lens, just specks of dust no fungus. or would keh be a good option. thanks

Post #1, Nov 19, 2010 19:30:50

Gear list: 7d, 50d, xti, EOS 66 film, Canon FTB,sigma 18-35 1.8 art len, EF 24-105L, 70-200f4. Manfrotto 190xpro, sirui g20x. BR metro.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
angelIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

my problem is i purchased a lens from the sell forum with a seller saying a 9.5 rating on the glass. when it arrived it has dust specks inside the lens, since its not showing in the pics i let it go, but im so anal with my gears, sold 3 lens that are more than 6 y/o and you wont see any dust on it or inside the glass. just want the dust gone. anyone has an idea on how much it cost. thanks

Post #2, Nov 19, 2010 19:46:45

Gear list: 7d, 50d, xti, EOS 66 film, Canon FTB,sigma 18-35 1.8 art len, EF 24-105L, 70-200f4. Manfrotto 190xpro, sirui g20x. BR metro.

lannes
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
4,374 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I wouldn't clean internal dust unless it's effecting the image quality, once clean it won't take long to come back as it probably has something to do with the lens seal design.

If the lens is sharp now, cleaning could alter this, at least through Canon service you could get them to recalibrate it.

Did you ask the seller about internal dust ?

Post #3, Nov 19, 2010 19:47:54

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

casaaviocar
Joined Jun 2006
885 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I wouldn't bother with the cleaning. A couple of specs of dust won't do anything to effect the image quality and having some dust internally is pretty common. I'm amazed you managed to make it 6 years with no dust. I wouldn't think to mention a little dust internally either.

Post #4, Nov 19, 2010 19:57:48

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

angelIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

lannes wrote in post #11315044external link
I wouldn't clean internal dust unless it's effecting the image quality, once clean it won't take long to come back as it probably has something to do with the lens seal design.

If the lens is sharp now, cleaning could alter this, at least through Canon service you could get them to recalibrate it.

Did you ask the seller about internal dust ?

thanks, lens is sharped needed to clean the contact points, as for the seller he stand by his post of 9.5/10 rate. the price was ok so i let it go, im just so anal with my gear.

Post #5, Nov 19, 2010 20:15:54

sponsored links
angelIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

casaaviocar wrote in post #11315082external link
I wouldn't bother with the cleaning. A couple of specs of dust won't do anything to effect the image quality and having some dust internally is pretty common. I'm amazed you managed to make it 6 years with no dust. I wouldn't think to mention a little dust internally either.

yup my 55-200 usm crystal clear when i sold it 2 month ago also my 28-135 usm clear even the buyer was asking if it came in a kit. told him that i got it from a local store in 2006 and this was my walk around lens. everything sold with their box. cant say the same with my xti heavily used. my eos d60 and ftb are still prestine. may be its really just me being anal about it but a 9.5 rating for the glass i was expecting more.

Post #6, Nov 19, 2010 20:24:41

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
14,060 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

He should have mentioned that there was/were a few dust specks inside, imo.

With that said, I would not pay to have them removed.

Canon does not have a "clean" room. You might end up with more dust then you started ;-)a

Post #7, Nov 19, 2010 22:12:22

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,048 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Wait a minute, how could you not have a lens with dust inside? Do you shoot all weather sealed L lenses? Even some of the weather sealed lenses are also prone to attract some dust. I say leave the dust or lens alone. "Dust" is part of the DSLR experience. Is same as you can't expect your sensor to have no dust. OMG, you are going to check the sensor now for dust.....:) Beware you don't scratch your sensor trying to sterilize your sensor...

Post #8, Nov 19, 2010 22:22:28

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

casaaviocar
Joined Jun 2006
885 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

angelIV wrote in post #11315207external link
yup my 55-200 usm crystal clear when i sold it 2 month ago also my 28-135 usm clear even the buyer was asking if it came in a kit. told him that i got it from a local store in 2006 and this was my walk around lens. everything sold with their box. cant say the same with my xti heavily used. my eos d60 and ftb are still prestine. may be its really just me being anal about it but a 9.5 rating for the glass i was expecting more.

I guess I don't consider a couple of specks of dust to be a flaw on the glass. Fungus, that's a flaw, a scratch that's a flaw, cleaning marks, that's a flaw, damaged coating, yep, dust, nah. Just like dust on a sensor, there's nothing wrong with the sensor, it's still 100%, it just has a couple of specks of dust on it. I've had cameras straight out of the box with dust on the sensor. Is there anything wrong with the sensor, nope.

Post #9, Nov 20, 2010 00:33:40

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

angelIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

casaaviocar wrote in post #11315989external link
I guess I don't consider a couple of specks of dust to be a flaw on the glass. Fungus, that's a flaw, a scratch that's a flaw, cleaning marks, that's a flaw, damaged coating, yep, dust, nah. Just like dust on a sensor, there's nothing wrong with the sensor, it's still 100%, it just has a couple of specks of dust on it. I've had cameras straight out of the box with dust on the sensor. Is there anything wrong with the sensor, nope.

just a quick question what would you consider as a couple of speck of dust? when you look at the viewfeinder you see 1 or 2 black dots? or more than that or when you look into the lens you see a lot of strands inside the lens even after you cleaned it? i agree with you on this, i know dust is common and as normal in camera gear, just wnted to know what others consider ok when it comes to the dust issue?

Post #10, Nov 20, 2010 19:30:59

angelIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,132 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bohdank wrote in post #11315618external link
He should have mentioned that there was/were a few dust specks inside, imo.

With that said, I would not pay to have them removed.

Canon does not have a "clean" room. You might end up with more dust then you started ;-)a

thanks, i think i have to live with it. may be sell it next year when im able to afford a new upgrade.

Post #11, Nov 20, 2010 19:37:05

sponsored links
FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
1,880 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think you guys know that there are people out there who simply can't stand having dust inside or even outside their lenses and cameras. Personally I clean my gear whenever I see there are dust or dirt on them and prefer to have lenses that are weather sealed. One of the main reasons why I have two bodies is because I don't want to change lenses too often to avoid dust getting inside the lenses and cameras. Though I haven't sent anything in for cleaning yet but I have been told that it would cost around 100 bucks to get a lens cleaned.

Post #12, Nov 20, 2010 19:54:56

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

mikebarry
Joined Nov 2010
59 posts
Houston, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

just checked my 2 yr old 70-200 f/2.8L, I do see some dust on the inner lenses, maybe 10 specks or so. Does it affect IQ? I guess since I don't have a perfectly clean copy I couldn't say for sure, but I can't see any IQ issues. I would think dust on the sensor is orders of magnitude worse than dust on the lenses. The further from the sensor the dust is, the less light it blocks.

I wouldn't think a few specks of dust in the lens would show up in your viewfinder. If anything, dust on the lenses would show up in the form of a fuzzy or soft image.

Post #13, Nov 20, 2010 19:56:06

60D, Canon EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, EX-580II, Nikon Coolpix in my shirt pocket.

bcd01
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
2,428 posts
Orlando
[MORE/SHARE]

I was documenting some grounding work a contractor did at our tower site and the edge gave way and I fell into a ditch with a body and my 24-105 L. Sand got into the barrel. I sent it back to Canon in Newport News, Virginia. The cost was $187 including shipping. Their shipping by FedEx cost more than what it cost me to send it to them by FedEx. Overall, it was about $200.

Post #14, Nov 20, 2010 20:04:54

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,048 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

mikebarry wrote in post #11319096external link
just checked my 2 yr old 70-200 f/2.8L, I do see some dust on the inner lenses, maybe 10 specks or so. Does it affect IQ? I guess since I don't have a perfectly clean copy I couldn't say for sure, but I can't see any IQ issues. I would think dust on the sensor is orders of magnitude worse than dust on the lenses. The further from the sensor the dust is, the less light it blocks.

I wouldn't think a few specks of dust in the lens would show up in your viewfinder. If anything, dust on the lenses would show up in the form of a fuzzy or soft image.

Dust on the lens would never show up on your shots. On the sensor, yes. Even with a cracked front element, you would only see some slight blurring on your shots. Also, I would never miss a shot just because I afraid to change the right lens for the scene. If you are a prime shooter, good luck trying to keep dust out of your sensor and your lens. Maybe you carry 2 to 3 bodies with you. I thought people shooting with 2 bodies or more do it for the speed and quickness factors as in sport photography. Not so much for dust. Could you imagine doing a landscape shot with some nature scenes bringing 2 or more bodies with you?

Post #15, Nov 20, 2010 20:07:51

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
7,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
how much to clean a lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES