Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #1
angelIV

Default how much to clean a lens?

just a quick questions how much do canon charge to clean a lens, just specks of dust no fungus. or would keh be a good option. thanks
angelIV is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #2
angelIV

Default Re: how much to clean a lens?

my problem is i purchased a lens from the sell forum with a seller saying a 9.5 rating on the glass. when it arrived it has dust specks inside the lens, since its not showing in the pics i let it go, but im so anal with my gears, sold 3 lens that are more than 6 y/o and you wont see any dust on it or inside the glass. just want the dust gone. anyone has an idea on how much it cost. thanks
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #3
lannes
Goldmember

I wouldn't clean internal dust unless it's effecting the image quality, once clean it won't take long to come back as it probably has something to do with the lens seal design.

If the lens is sharp now, cleaning could alter this, at least through Canon service you could get them to recalibrate it.

Did you ask the seller about internal dust ?

Last edited by lannes : 19th of November 2010 (Fri) at 19:50.
lannes is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #4
casaaviocar

I wouldn't bother with the cleaning. A couple of specs of dust won't do anything to effect the image quality and having some dust internally is pretty common. I'm amazed you managed to make it 6 years with no dust. I wouldn't think to mention a little dust internally either.
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #5
angelIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannes View Post
I wouldn't clean internal dust unless it's effecting the image quality, once clean it won't take long to come back as it probably has something to do with the lens seal design.

If the lens is sharp now, cleaning could alter this, at least through Canon service you could get them to recalibrate it.

Did you ask the seller about internal dust ?
thanks, lens is sharped needed to clean the contact points, as for the seller he stand by his post of 9.5/10 rate. the price was ok so i let it go, im just so anal with my gear.
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #6
angelIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by casaaviocar View Post
I wouldn't bother with the cleaning. A couple of specs of dust won't do anything to effect the image quality and having some dust internally is pretty common. I'm amazed you managed to make it 6 years with no dust. I wouldn't think to mention a little dust internally either.
yup my 55-200 usm crystal clear when i sold it 2 month ago also my 28-135 usm clear even the buyer was asking if it came in a kit. told him that i got it from a local store in 2006 and this was my walk around lens. everything sold with their box. cant say the same with my xti heavily used. my eos d60 and ftb are still prestine. may be its really just me being anal about it but a 9.5 rating for the glass i was expecting more.

Last edited by angelIV : 19th of November 2010 (Fri) at 20:28.
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #7
bohdank
Cream of the Crop

He should have mentioned that there was/were a few dust specks inside, imo.

With that said, I would not pay to have them removed.

Canon does not have a "clean" room. You might end up with more dust then you started

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer
Flickr
bohdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #8
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Wait a minute, how could you not have a lens with dust inside? Do you shoot all weather sealed L lenses? Even some of the weather sealed lenses are also prone to attract some dust. I say leave the dust or lens alone. "Dust" is part of the DSLR experience. Is same as you can't expect your sensor to have no dust. OMG, you are going to check the sensor now for dust..... Beware you don't scratch your sensor trying to sterilize your sensor...
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #9
casaaviocar

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelIV View Post
yup my 55-200 usm crystal clear when i sold it 2 month ago also my 28-135 usm clear even the buyer was asking if it came in a kit. told him that i got it from a local store in 2006 and this was my walk around lens. everything sold with their box. cant say the same with my xti heavily used. my eos d60 and ftb are still prestine. may be its really just me being anal about it but a 9.5 rating for the glass i was expecting more.
I guess I don't consider a couple of specks of dust to be a flaw on the glass. Fungus, that's a flaw, a scratch that's a flaw, cleaning marks, that's a flaw, damaged coating, yep, dust, nah. Just like dust on a sensor, there's nothing wrong with the sensor, it's still 100%, it just has a couple of specks of dust on it. I've had cameras straight out of the box with dust on the sensor. Is there anything wrong with the sensor, nope.
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #10
angelIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by casaaviocar View Post
I guess I don't consider a couple of specks of dust to be a flaw on the glass. Fungus, that's a flaw, a scratch that's a flaw, cleaning marks, that's a flaw, damaged coating, yep, dust, nah. Just like dust on a sensor, there's nothing wrong with the sensor, it's still 100%, it just has a couple of specks of dust on it. I've had cameras straight out of the box with dust on the sensor. Is there anything wrong with the sensor, nope.
just a quick question what would you consider as a couple of speck of dust? when you look at the viewfeinder you see 1 or 2 black dots? or more than that or when you look into the lens you see a lot of strands inside the lens even after you cleaned it? i agree with you on this, i know dust is common and as normal in camera gear, just wnted to know what others consider ok when it comes to the dust issue?
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #11
angelIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohdank View Post
He should have mentioned that there was/were a few dust specks inside, imo.

With that said, I would not pay to have them removed.

Canon does not have a "clean" room. You might end up with more dust then you started
thanks, i think i have to live with it. may be sell it next year when im able to afford a new upgrade.
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #12
FuturamaJSP

I don't think you guys know that there are people out there who simply can't stand having dust inside or even outside their lenses and cameras. Personally I clean my gear whenever I see there are dust or dirt on them and prefer to have lenses that are weather sealed. One of the main reasons why I have two bodies is because I don't want to change lenses too often to avoid dust getting inside the lenses and cameras. Though I haven't sent anything in for cleaning yet but I have been told that it would cost around 100 bucks to get a lens cleaned.
FuturamaJSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #13
mikebarry

just checked my 2 yr old 70-200 f/2.8L, I do see some dust on the inner lenses, maybe 10 specks or so. Does it affect IQ? I guess since I don't have a perfectly clean copy I couldn't say for sure, but I can't see any IQ issues. I would think dust on the sensor is orders of magnitude worse than dust on the lenses. The further from the sensor the dust is, the less light it blocks.

I wouldn't think a few specks of dust in the lens would show up in your viewfinder. If anything, dust on the lenses would show up in the form of a fuzzy or soft image.
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #14
bcd01
Goldmember

I was documenting some grounding work a contractor did at our tower site and the edge gave way and I fell into a ditch with a body and my 24-105 L. Sand got into the barrel. I sent it back to Canon in Newport News, Virginia. The cost was $187 including shipping. Their shipping by FedEx cost more than what it cost me to send it to them by FedEx. Overall, it was about $200.
bcd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of November 2010 (Sat)   #15
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarry View Post
just checked my 2 yr old 70-200 f/2.8L, I do see some dust on the inner lenses, maybe 10 specks or so. Does it affect IQ? I guess since I don't have a perfectly clean copy I couldn't say for sure, but I can't see any IQ issues. I would think dust on the sensor is orders of magnitude worse than dust on the lenses. The further from the sensor the dust is, the less light it blocks.

I wouldn't think a few specks of dust in the lens would show up in your viewfinder. If anything, dust on the lenses would show up in the form of a fuzzy or soft image.
Dust on the lens would never show up on your shots. On the sensor, yes. Even with a cracked front element, you would only see some slight blurring on your shots. Also, I would never miss a shot just because I afraid to change the right lens for the scene. If you are a prime shooter, good luck trying to keep dust out of your sensor and your lens. Maybe you carry 2 to 3 bodies with you. I thought people shooting with 2 bodies or more do it for the speed and quickness factors as in sport photography. Not so much for dust. Could you imagine doing a landscape shot with some nature scenes bringing 2 or more bodies with you?