Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #1
Dr.Pete

Default Sandisk Extreme vs Extreme Pro--any difference in FPS with a 5D2?

I've been a long-time sandisk fan and I'm looking at some more CF cards. I noticed that the "Extreme Pro" series is out now and I'm just wondering how much of a difference--if any--I'd experience in FPS on my 5D2. I feel like most of the time I'm between 2 and 3 FPS shooting RAW.

Has anyone tried both cards? Any major differences? If there's no noticeable difference I'd just as soon stick with the cheaper ones...

“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin
Dr.Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #2
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Default Re: Sandisk Extreme vs Extreme Pro--any difference in FPS with a 5D2?

The burst rate (FPS) is not affected by any card whatsoever.
Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #3
Dr.Pete

So as with other cards, then, the big advantage is faster camera-to-computer transfer?

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #4
unrlmth

It is only after you fill up the buffer that card speed comes into play or like you said faster transfers to the computer.
unrlmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #5
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Pete View Post
So as with other cards, then, the big advantage is faster camera-to-computer transfer?
Camera to card transfer to clear the buffer (this is not the same as FPS or burst speed) ASSUMING your current cards are the weak link. They may or may not be.

Card to computer transfer.

Bragging rights.
Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #6
DetlevCM
Goldmember

Have a look at this nice comparison by Rob Galbraith:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9784

The 5D MK II tops out around 31MB/s write speed - I personally use 8GB 300x Lexar Pro cards - work fine for me.
Now about your fps - you're not using Ai Servo or something like that? The focus mode can influence the fps ever so slightly - I think I once measured it very roughly with a stopwatch on my 5D MK II - to test your fps roughly, get a stopwatch, switch the lens to manual. set camera to continuous and start clicking away while the stopwatch runs - stop when the camera stops shooting.

Yes, by no means accurate, but it gives you a good enough idea of your fps - you should be around 3,9 (specsheet) - if you are around 2 or 3 as you claim and can't get any higher fps then something is amiss.
On that note though - what do you need fps in a poor 5D MK II for?
DetlevCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #7
Dr.Pete

Detlev--High FPS is still nice when trying to capture a candid. I think it just gives me more options. I'd have to do a more scientific measurement of my FPS to be exact about it, but if the extreme pro cards won't increase it, I really don't care so much about the exact number.

I'll just have to wait for the mirrorless 1Ds Mark V with 12FPS full-frame shooting.

Old 23rd of November 2010 (Tue)   #8
DetlevCM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Pete View Post
Detlev--High FPS is still nice when trying to capture a candid. I think it just gives me more options. I'd have to do a more scientific measurement of my FPS to be exact about it, but if the extreme pro cards won't increase it, I really don't care so much about the exact number.

I'll just have to wait for the mirrorless 1Ds Mark V with 12FPS full-frame shooting.
If you think so... I personally prefer landscapes and buildings - so I wouldn't know.
DetlevCM is offline   Reply With Quote