FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 03 Dec 2010 (Friday) 10:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jencol06
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello All! I just purchased a Canon Powershot A3100 IS. When I take a picture and then view it on the camera's LCD screen, it is great- really great. However, when I transfer it to my computer, it looks very grainy and the colors are not as sharp/saturated - they look faded.

I know there are ways to decrease "grainyness" (have already tried lowering ISO), but if my pictures were actually grainy, wouldn't they show up that way on the camera's screen as well?
OR is it common for the picture to look better on the camera than it does on a computer?

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Post #1, Dec 03, 2010 10:43:37

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
Deep in the heart of Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Remember, when viewing a picture on the LCD review screen, you are seeing just a fraction of the data in the image and also it is very small so any flaws are well hidden. You can adjust your monitor so that it displays the image properly, but the grain (noise) is in the image and either has to be accepted or post processed out.

Post #2, Dec 03, 2010 10:46:27

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::external link
::Gear::

gjl711
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

BTW, welcome to the forum

Post #3, Dec 03, 2010 10:46:47

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Welcome. And its pretty much as simple as that. The small screen on your camera is lacking in enough detail that everything looks good on it. Also the brightness on small screens can hide a great deal of under or over exposure because the camera screen is dependent on the brightness of the room you are working in.

Post #4, Dec 03, 2010 10:49:26

jencol06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I have been researching this question for an hour and could not find the answer.

Now onto researching and trying all the ways to make my photos look better...luckily there are many many posts on that already :)

Thanks again!

Post #5, Dec 03, 2010 10:53:56

sponsored links
gjl711
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

For the noise issue, shoot at the lowest ISO you can. The lower the ISO, the less the noise. So it's a balancing act between ISo, the shutter speed and the aperture. Once the picture is taken there are programs, like Noise Ninja, that to an excellent job removing noise from an image.

Post #6, Dec 03, 2010 11:13:35

jencol06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks for the tips!

Post #7, Dec 03, 2010 11:18:03

stevewf1
Joined Sep 2010
628 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

Reminds me of my slide film days. I'd get a box of Kodachrome slides back and in my eagerness to (finally) see my photos, I'd just hold the slide up to a light. Wow! Looks good! However, when I projected them up to a larger size --- not so good...

Post #8, Dec 05, 2010 21:27:20

Steve

TejasRamakrishnan
Joined Feb 2011
26 posts
Behind a camera!
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you show some of the pictures to let us know what the setup where...? If you are getting a lot of grains, then it might need to be taken at lower ISOs, as many guys here told you.
Now, the screen does have this issue as it is of low resolution, a higher resolution images look better in terms of noise suppression... Still, i have not experienced such an evident difference in quality between the LCD and my monitor.....

Try taking the same shots at a lower ISO and check the results....

Post #9, Mar 13, 2011 06:15:09

Camera - Canon PowerShot A3100 IS.
Putting up money and waiting for the release of EOS 600D in India to buy the 550D at a lower price.
Some punks on POTN here, made my interest in the 60D into a decision to get it.... So, 60D, see you soon.

elogical
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

That camera shouldn't be too terrible with the noise unless you're pretty high in the ISO or shooting someplace dark. A lot of times it's good to just accept that some noise ("grain") in the pictures is better than having it blurry from too slow of a shutter speed or having it be too dark from under-exposing. Some of it can be taken out in editing fairly easily as well.

Post #10, Mar 13, 2011 14:25:41

Gear

Sal24
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2010
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Funny, I just came to the forum looking for information on the S95 LCD. The pictures have so much punch and color compared to my Dell ST2410 that I was wondering if the small screen was just deceiving me... It almost has me wondering if the S95 LCD is an IPS panel or some better tech than my Dell TN panel LCD. Maybe an overly bright and saturated small screen has the subtle effect of making the pictures look better than we think... because something inside me wants my computer to display pictures with the same bright and colorful look as the S95's little lcd.

Sal

Post #11, Mar 28, 2011 23:30:02

sponsored links
M.Quick
Joined Jan 2011
441 posts
Europe
[MORE/SHARE]

Size the image on your computer screen down to the size as your s95 LCD and see what a difference it makes... To solve this problem, get a smaller computer screen :D

Post #12, Apr 23, 2011 15:12:06

My "cheap" pro-setup;
Canon EOS 450D | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200L f2.8 IS USM | YN-468 v2
8GB SDHC Class10 | BG-E5 + 4xLP-E5 | RC-4 | Canon E1 | Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,106 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pictures look better on camera than computer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES