RAW files in Ubuntu Linux

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 06 Dec 2010 (Monday) 12:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

enrigonz
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,611 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a dual-boot machine running Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7. I use Canon DPP for raw converting to JPEG, it does what I need it to do and it does it well. I've tried doing RAW converting in Ubuntu but any program that reads RAW, basically "screws up" the image, the image looks completely distorted and in black and purple colors. I must have done something wrong during the installation of the RAW converting software or I'm missing something here.

I really like using Ubuntu, I'm thinking of completely switching over to Linux but really need to be able to convert my RAW files just like I do in DPP.

Are any of you out there using Linux, specifically Ubuntu with Canon's *.cr2 RAW files? I wish someone would point me in the right direction so I can make a complete transition. I've even tried Wine but the installation of Canon DPP failed halfway through.

TIA

Post #1, Dec 06, 2010 12:28:32

Canon Stuff :) |Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
joemusic321
Joined Mar 2009
152 posts
Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

These links may be of some use:

http://www.madox.net ...canon-cr2-raws-in-ubuntu/external link
http://platonic.techfi​z.info ...ile-management-in-ubuntu/external link
http://ufraw.sourcefor​ge.net/external link

Post #2, Dec 06, 2010 13:27:03

Rimmer
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

W00t!

I've played with this a bit but have never had complete success.

First, I found that F-Spot would display the contents of .CR2 files, but could not edit them.

For editing I found that ufraw would open and edit the files, but did not have the correct camera profile available. I searched for an available profile but never found anything. One person suggested "just create your own," but I've never attempted it. I found that I could get results that looked "close" with ufraw, but that's all.

I haven't looked at this for a while, and I'm in my Windows partition right now. Next time I get a chance I'll look again and see if I can find any other information to pass along. There's got to be a discussion group out there somewhere that addresses this!

"May the Source be with you..."

Post #3, Dec 06, 2010 13:51:06

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

exwintech
Joined Apr 2009
551 posts
Croydon Park, Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Enrigonz - If you're using Ubuntu, you're on the Gnome Enviro. KDE is a better Multimedia Enviro, as it has more of "its own" MM functions - e.g, Kim for quick right-click Menu conversion between formats - JPEG-TIFF-GIF-PNG, resizing, including Custom-Resize, Compress 70-80-90% / Compress Custom, WebExport to presets, and a lot more. All just mentioned also work as Batch.

Digikam with many RAW options and processing (saves to 8 or 16 bit TIFF) - works very well in KDE. Ensure that you're using DCRAW-9.03 or later so Digikam can open and use current RAW versions. If you want to use RAW in Gimp - make sure that the DCRAW-Gimp-2.x is 9.03 or later.

Raw-Therapee is a "more conventional" RAW post-processing app, with hundreds of options, sliders, modes, etc. At present, RT-version 2.4.1 is the 'stable' version, the new version is still a work-in-progress.

Where some Linux apps don't run very new RAW versions (I had initial problems with Fuji's HS10 RAF RAW, and this was a temp solution), Linux DNGconverter (not a clone of the Adobe DNG one) - will convert RAWs to DNG.

For KDE Enviro, in the 'Bunties, Kubuntu has it, or you might try one of the Distros that uses KDE as its primary Enviro. PCLOS (PCLinuxOS) - does the KDE optimising very well. The Repository has over 12,000 Distro-Optimised applications, tools, utilities, etc, for rapid multi-installs with the GUI version of Synaptic. (apt-get does work in terminal if you want that. Type > apt-get --help < in terminal for all the options. )

I've been using PCLOS for just on 5 years, but do run other Distros - including the 'Bunties - in Virtual-Box for a look-see. You can also run Windows in V-Box to check or test things for Windows-using friends. Having a full install of XP-Pro SP3 that starts from nil to usable in 7-8 seconds, is a good time-saver.

Dave.

Post #4, Dec 06, 2010 15:00:12 as a reply to Rimmer's post 1 hour earlier.

Rimmer
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you, Dave!

I tried Mandriva for a while and KDE made my head hurt. Or maybe it was just Mandriva.... :)

But ... I've often thought about trying different desktop environments with Ubuntu. Maybe this is an excuse to go ahead.

Heck, no reason not to triple boot, I guess!

Post #5, Dec 06, 2010 15:16:24

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

sponsored links
cedm
Joined Feb 2008
590 posts
KL, Malaysia
[MORE/SHARE]

No need to turn a simple question into an epic geeky adventure. Just use any of:

- UFRaw
- digiKam
- Rawtherapee
- Rawstudio
- Darktable
- Bibble
- Lightzone

What distribution or desktop environment one is using won't matter.

Post #6, Dec 07, 2010 05:05:59 as a reply to Rimmer's post 13 hours earlier.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 F/4.5-5.6 | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF 50mm F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

kendon
Joined Jul 2010
839 posts
germany
[MORE/SHARE]

need to dig this up again ;)

- install gnome-raw-thumbnailer and you get thumbnails for canon raw files in nautilus, very handy. afaik it uses the thumbnails embedded in the raw file, so picture styles (b/w for example) are applied to the thumbnails.
- the latest version of dcraw can handle 7d and 550d raw files (needed to compile it tho).
- make nautilus scripts for all the right click action you need. i'll attach one for file resizing (to install open nautilus, right-click -> scripts -> open script folder, put it there). it needs convert, dcraw and exiftool, so apt-get install these. watch for the filename: "jpeg-XXXX", where XXXX is the long edge of the image in px (create as many copies as you want for 1280, 1024 etc).
- woooot! DPP works fine with wine, just see the installation notes on wine-hq :D

Post #7, Jan 05, 2011 12:40:44

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCamexternal link, Galleryexternal link

uOpt
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,256 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

ufraw works fine for me. The job it does is comparable to Canon's DPP. DPP has a lousy to horrible UI and a few bits of extra functionality that escape me right now.

DPP itself runs in the Wine emulator, but only older versions. New version would need vmware.

Post #8, Jan 05, 2011 12:57:04

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

kendon
Joined Jul 2010
839 posts
germany
[MORE/SHARE]

what is the latest version? 3.9.3.0 is fine in wine-1.3.10. trying ufraw now. anyone tried bibble with 7d raw files? i might be doing something wrong, but the images look like crap (looks like something is off with the color depth).

Post #9, Jan 05, 2011 13:20:19

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCamexternal link, Galleryexternal link

uOpt
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,256 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I ran this in october and it seems the DPP version is from April 2010.

Looks like my newest wines are 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 so I'm gonna kick them.

Post #10, Jan 05, 2011 13:36:22

mrwalker
Joined Jan 2012
274 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just wanted to add that have got some good results with the latest RawTherapee (4.0.6.16) on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit for RAW images from a 550D/ T2i...

See this:
http://photography-on-the.net ...hp?p=13990617&postc​ount=5

Post #11, Feb 29, 2012 12:40:55

Amateur, but not Destroying Photography...
Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

sponsored links
uOpt
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,256 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I should update this, too. I'm very happy with rawtherapee now (although the noise reduction still doesn't have enough maximum strength) but I learned a lot lately and I can now use the NR in it (wavelet denoise) and get better results than from DPP.

Post #12, Feb 29, 2012 12:51:04

rmsppu
Joined Feb 2012
53 posts
Philadelphia, PA, US
[MORE/SHARE]

enrigonz wrote in post #11404717external link
I have a dual-boot machine running Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7. I use Canon DPP for raw converting to JPEG, it does what I need it to do and it does it well. I've tried doing RAW converting in Ubuntu but any program that reads RAW, basically "screws up" the image, the image looks completely distorted and in black and purple colors. I must have done something wrong during the installation of the RAW converting software or I'm missing something here.

Well, you don't say what software you're using under Linux, so it's a little difficult to provide assistance.

I really like using Ubuntu, I'm thinking of completely switching over to Linux but really need to be able to convert my RAW files just like I do in DPP.

I'm using DPP 3.10.0.0 under WINE 1.3.37 on a Fedora 16 machine. On a fast machine the perfomance is reasonable.

I've also used rawtherapee and ufraw, both of which work fine. I prefer DPP for the integrated lens distortion & CA correction, though that's also possible from native Linux tools through the Lensfun library.

Are any of you out there using Linux, specifically Ubuntu with Canon's *.cr2 RAW files? I wish someone would point me in the right direction so I can make a complete transition. I've even tried Wine but the installation of Canon DPP failed halfway through.
TIA

Which version of DPP failed to install? I was unable to install the upgrade of DPP (3.11) under WINE, but 3.10.0 installed from CD without trouble.

I hope this is helpful.

Post #13, Feb 29, 2012 16:22:43

mrwalker
Joined Jan 2012
274 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rmsppu wrote in post #13992515external link
I'm using DPP 3.10.0.0 under WINE 1.3.37 on a Fedora 16 machine. On a fast machine the perfomance is reasonable.

I've also used rawtherapee and ufraw, both of which work fine. I prefer DPP for the integrated lens distortion & CA correction, though that's also possible from native Linux tools through the Lensfun library.

Thanks for that! My problem is the Wine version in the Ubuntu 10.04 repositories is quite ancient. I have tried building the latest stable one (which is 1.2.3 I think) but with limited success.

Same issue with Ufraw (although I haven't tried a build for this), I did build dcraw latest from source and that worked well but very few controls.

I would prefer DPP as well for the lens correction bit, but RawTherapee has CA correction, so you could give that a try. Good thing about RawTherapee is that they have pre-built latest packages for Ubuntu 10.04 that can easily be added to the repository sources list to get updates as well.

I guess I will have to move off Ubuntu 10.04 eventually but I don't really know where to go to the new Unity desktop on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to another distro!

Post #14, Feb 29, 2012 23:52:29

Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

mrwalker
Joined Jan 2012
274 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

uOpt wrote in post #13991094external link
I should update this, too. I'm very happy with rawtherapee now (although the noise reduction still doesn't have enough maximum strength) but I learned a lot lately and I can now use the NR in it (wavelet denoise) and get better results than from DPP.

Could you please share how you're using NR in RawTherapee? Am having some trouble with that. The camera generated JPG has no noise while the 16-bit PNG from RT is littered with minor noise.

Am getting confused as to whether RT (4.0.6.16) is able to handle my camera (550D) RAW files correctly.

Post #15, Mar 07, 2012 12:54:56

LIST NEARBY THREADS
15,476 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW files in Ubuntu Linux
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES