sc0rp
Joined Feb 2008
143 posts
Perth, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

JayStar86 wrote in post #11425917external link
Here is one from me:

[URL=http://[URL]www.f​lickr.com/photos/jaygi​llphotography/52338413​88/]/URL]

Nice, I would of maybe cropped the image a little bit so you can't see her dress.

Post #46, Dec 12, 2010 04:01:52

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Seanzky
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,870 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

dave63 wrote in post #11436412external link
Tell the guy, second from right, that Simon LeBon did it already.

I'm not sure if you're talking about my post. But if you are, I'm not sure how to take your critique. Is my photograph bad because the "second guy from the right" did something Simon LeBon did already? Or are you asking me to scold him for doing something Simon LeBon has already done? Either way, what does your comment have to do anything with my photo? Please explain. Thanks.

Post #47, Dec 12, 2010 08:49:22

Sean | Blogexternal link | Portfolioexternal link | Google+external link | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

HI Sean,

I could be wrong and I won't speak for the poster but the way I read it was the same as saying something like "the 80's called. Simon LeBon wants his hair style back" and I saw it as slightly humorous and not a knock at the image.

I like the shots and I dig the black and white conversions.

Post #48, Dec 12, 2010 08:58:10 as a reply to Seanzky's post 8 minutes earlier.

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

Seanzky
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,870 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Ah, thanks! I get it now. I didn't mean to be defensive. I think I take critiques better than most. Hehe.

I really didn't know what he meant. I thought he meant the pose was a "copy" which I don't think Bryan (2nd guy from the left) would have known. And frankly I didn't know at the time or even when I was working on the image. But if it's the hair/look and was meant as a joke, then cool. I totally get it. :)

Post #49, Dec 12, 2010 09:52:18

Sean | Blogexternal link | Portfolioexternal link | Google+external link | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link

dave63
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,267 posts
In the ether between Denver and Boulder
[MORE/SHARE]

TMR Design wrote in post #11438048external link
HI Sean,

I could be wrong and I won't speak for the poster but the way I read it was the same as saying something like "the 80's called. Simon LeBon wants his hair style back" and I saw it as slightly humorous and not a knock at the image.

I like the shots and I dig the black and white conversions.

This.

I was also referring to the jacket, as well as the hairstyle, the pose.... all that.
As a former professional musician who lived through the 80's with a certain sense of bewilderment, stuff like this is the first thing I think of when I see band pics.

Post #50, Dec 12, 2010 11:10:24

sponsored links
Seanzky
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,870 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Well the jacket couldn't be helped. He was hanging outside the window, on a ledge of a high rise building in downtown Manhattan and it was cold last night. He's actually overlooking the city streets in the full shot.

As for the hairdo, and whatever else, I think style in general tend to recycle themselves. Mohawk was cool once and now it's back. The same with a mullet. I see some kids rockin' it once again.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying now. I guess your post wasn't a critique... it was more like just a comment? Thank you? :/

Post #51, Dec 12, 2010 11:21:26

dave63
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,267 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

(...sigh...) okay, we're not referring to the practicality of the jacket, nor the necessity... we're referring to the style...

Post #52, Dec 12, 2010 11:25:15

dave63
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,267 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Seanzky wrote in post #11438658external link
Anyway, I understand what you're saying now. I guess your post wasn't a critique... it was more like just a comment? Thank you? :/

Right. It was a light-hearted, slightly sarcastic moment relative to the discipline we're all here for, which is photography. Much as if someone had posted a comment after a model's headshot "Better makeup would make her look more expensive."

There's a tendency to overthink things to the serious around here, I've noticed.

Post #53, Dec 12, 2010 11:28:15

Seanzky
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,870 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Okay. Can I have some real critiques now? :) Good? Bad? Don't-dos? Bad PP? Lighting?

Post #54, Dec 12, 2010 12:58:25

dave63
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,267 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Seanzky wrote in post #11436212external link
NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.seanzky.com​/downloads/DK/dk_small​.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Okay.
For my eye, the two on the left seem a little too different than the other three, where lighting and location are concerned. So, compositionally, it's a bit lopsided. In my opinion.
I really like the lighting on the guy in the center (presumably the lead singer, as rock'n'roll goes). Five pictures of that lighting approach would have been more appealing to my eye.

(Just guessing, from L-R: drums, bass, vox, keys, guitar. Rite? Amirite?)

Post #55, Dec 12, 2010 13:12:09

Seanzky
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,870 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

dave63 wrote in post #11438676external link
(...sigh...) okay, we're not referring to the practicality of the jacket, nor the necessity... we're referring to the style...

GASP! God forbid someone else wears a similar jacket or hairdo, I'd have to warn them that a "light-hearted, slightly sarcastic" comment might be on its way. We wouldn't want that person to "overthink [Sic] things" and take it the wrong way.

Like that? :cool:

Honestly, you've got me curious how your hair looks like. It has got to be the most unique one out there that no one else has ever done. It just has to be.

Post #56, Dec 12, 2010 13:12:18

sponsored links
Seanzky
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,870 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

dave63 wrote in post #11439163external link
Okay.
For my eye, the two on the left seem a little too different than the other three, where lighting and location are concerned. So, compositionally, it's a bit lopsided. In my opinion.
I really like the lighting on the guy in the center (presumably the lead singer, as rock'n'roll goes). Five pictures of that lighting approach would have been more appealing to my eye.

(Just guessing, from L-R: drums, bass, vox, keys, guitar. Rite? Amirite?)

Thank you! Now that's what I was looking for. Point considered and I've taken a mental note. And you're right, I didn't consider the backgrounds until I was done. I have my reasons for shooting them the way I did individually though, which I won't get into for the fear of sounding defensive... I'm not. I do appreciate your critique. Thanks.

L-R: drums, keys, vocal, guitar, bass. Two out of five just from looking at them? Not bad! :)

Post #57, Dec 12, 2010 13:15:21

dave63
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,267 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Really, this isn't meant to be a challenge. Wait until you get a little older, and you'll find that a certain level of jadedness comes with the territory. If you're lucky, so does a certain sense of humor about everything we do, as humans. Like when you see kids walking down the street in Docs, black trenchcoats, and electric mohawks, as if it's unique. Or, as you pointed out aptly, like how we go in cycles with everything, as if we're searching for something the second or third time around that we might have missed the first 2 times.

Post #58, Dec 12, 2010 13:17:29

dave63
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,267 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Seanzky wrote in post #11439176external link
Thank you! Now that's what I was looking for. Point considered and I've taken a mental note. And you're right, I didn't consider the backgrounds until I was done.

I've done that I don't know how many times. You get so focused on capturing the face for the theme that the background gets swept aside.

I have my reasons for shooting them the way I did individually though, which I won't get into for the fear of sounding defensive... I'm not.

Then, share them!
You never know if your shared reason might give someone else pause for rethinking their approach when in a similar situation.
Your fear of sounding defensive will put you exactly there: defensive. it will make what you write, defensive. Stand by your convictions. Even if you see them as wrong 5 years from now, they are yours, now, and work for you, now. That's how we grow.

I do appreciate your critique. Thanks.

Good. I'm glad you found something about our exchange to appreciate.

L-R: drums, keys, vocal, guitar, bass. Two out of five just from looking at them? Not bad! :)

Meh. My average is off. 'Chick' bassists seem to be all the rage, lately, and the guitarist (son of LeBon) has all the classic features of an 80's synth/keyboardist. As a drummer (primarily), I can almost always recognize "one of us". Plus, our vocation usually puts us to the far side or back of any band shot. It's instinctual in every band... can't be helped. Hell, even though the Police was Stewart's band, he never had front and center in the pics.

Post #59, Dec 12, 2010 13:25:30

Seanzky
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,870 posts
Queens, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

dave63 wrote in post #11439186external link
Really, this isn't meant to be a challenge. Wait until you get a little older, and you'll find that a certain level of jadedness comes with the territory. If you're lucky, so does a certain sense of humor about everything we do, as humans. Like when you see kids walking down the street in Docs, black trenchcoats, and electric mohawks, as if it's unique. Or, as you pointed out aptly, like how we go in cycles with everything, as if we're searching for something the second or third time around that we might have missed the first 2 times.

Lol. I didn't disagree with what you said and I have excellent sense of humor according to me. Believe me (you have no choice at this point), I really do. I can take a joke and I can give it back.

It's just this:

Seanzky wrote in post #11436212external link
Any C&C, as always, is appreciated and always welcomed. Thanks!

dave63 wrote in post #11436412external link
Tell the guy, second from right, that Simon LeBon did it already.

If you said what you said a few posts above and then that, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :)

Post #60, Dec 12, 2010 13:26:20

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,916,522 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES