Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of December 2010 (Sat)   #1
simsa

Question Canon sx30is - shooting sporting events

I purchased a Canon sx30is for my husband because he wanted the zoom capabilities to take pictures at our sons football and basketbal games. We are having great difficulty with getting the images to be clear when they are moving. Maybe we are just too green with knowing how to set the camera. We have tried the sports setting and only the people standing still will be clear. Moving people are completely unrecognizable. We have tried to change the shutter speed and nothing seems to change or fix the blurry pics. We are almost ready to give up on it and send it back. Any help out there for us?
simsa is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of December 2010 (Sat)   #2
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"

Default Re: Canon sx30is - shooting sporting events

If the football games are played in the daytime the SX30 might work. The combination of very limited high ISO capability and the slow f/5.6 zoom lens on this camera will make football under lights or pretty much any indoor sport almost impossible to shoot well.

It's important to understand that indoor sports and night sports are among the most difficult (technically) photography subjects. I cannot think of any P&S cameras that will do well in this. Even dSLR cameras may struggle without faster lenses.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of December 2010 (Sat)   #3
Delija

Default Re: Canon sx30is - shooting sporting events

Be sure the SHOOTING MENU is set for both

"Servo AF" - ON
"AF Mode" - CONTINUOUS

The camera should do well as far as exposure in daylight - as the previous poster said, at night the lens most likely will not be fast enough when zoomed (should be OK when not zoomed and wide open for close shots - f2.8).

Shooting indoors is not that difficult in a professional arena lit to be a huge TV studio. Shooting in most high school gyms may prove to be futile (all you can do is try).

Shooting outdoors should not be a problem in daylight. If your son plays football games during the day, the camera won't be the problem. The right settings will allow the camera to stay focused on a moving subject.

If the games are under lights, all that can be done (most likely) is take shots from the sidelines NOT zooming in much so the wider apertures stay available.

Human eyes will perceive 10 times as much light as being just twice as bright - Cameras will perceive 10 times as much light as being 10 times as bright. So while a high school gym or football field may appear to be well lit, that is your eyes and your brain compensating. Cameras will see (for example) light that is 4 times as bright as being just that - 4 times brighter - a huge difference for exposures. But your eyes are not likely to perceive a noticeable difference at all.

Don't give up - get closer to the action and use less zoom.

Best,
D.