Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 11 Dec 2010 (Saturday) 15:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

curvable rods for DIY EyeLighter reflector?

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Boston, PRofMA
Dec 11, 2010 15:21 |  #1

Anyone know of a good source for bendable rods (metal rods that won't break from metal fatique from being bent back and forth?) for a DIY Eyelighter?
http://www.theeyelight​er.comexternal link

The bottom catchlight is interesting:
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/portfolio/pic/102​75073external link

Seems like a perfect Dave project ;)

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Dec 11, 2010 16:40 |  #2

A DIY version would certainly be better than the asking price of the Eyelighter.

Have you considered just using a standard oval or rectangular 'potato chip' reflector and create some sort of tri-lite type bracket with arms to keep the key positions in place?

I've taken collapsible reflectors and created that shape by hand holding them so why not just have a doodad gizmo to bend and hold the reflector?

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006
New York
Dec 11, 2010 17:00 as a reply to TMR Design's post |  #3

$485!!! That's a good one! A real knee-slapper! Just like the "remastered" frame, I think anyone who buys one of those Eyelighters at that price is being "CNC Rolled". Not much love for this thing over on MM either:

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/po.php?thread_id=​656613external link

Best idea over there was to fabricate your own out of fiberglass tent poles and a reflective mylar space blanket.

I'm occupied puttering with other projects at the moment. In any case, I don't think the long, white slab of a catchlight the Eyelighter produces at the bottom of the eye is particularly flattering.

Another expensive solution in search of a problem.

Dave F.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Dec 11, 2010 17:08 as a reply to tetrode's post |  #4

I'm ok with that catch light for certain beauty or glamour but I don't see it as something flexible enough or universally applicable to use all too often.

I have a Lastolite tri-lite that I love but I only use it once every 15 or 20 shoots and very selectively.

I still think it's easier to figure out a way to maneuver and hold an oval or rectangular collapsible reflector rather than trying to make a frame with curved rods. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

Robert

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Charlotte, NC
Dec 11, 2010 17:24 |  #5

If I had a reason to I'd build my own out of lots of rods welded together. You just make the curve on a graphing paper and figure out how many rods you need and at what length. When I did welding I had projects that required this kind of tedious, precise work that's quite rewarding when you finish. Probably not worth the time if you're not good at building things out of metal however--it can take a long time and at that point I'd just buy this.

EDIT: The rods in this case can be straight; it's just a matter of knowing how many small rods you need to achieve the curves.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Dec 11, 2010 17:26 |  #6

The redneck in me thinks you could just bend a couple wire coathangers into that shape and stretch some shiny fabric over the wire frame.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
In the ether between Denver and Boulder
Dec 11, 2010 17:30 |  #7

"Black and white high contrast portraits were brought to the Midwest by Dave Peters in 1985."

With that kind of opening statement, he immediately lost my business interest, I don't care if they are $39.95. I absolutely loathe s**t like that.

Hey, Dave Peters also brought indoor plumbing and chrome napkin dispensers in 1983, thereby saving the Midwest from near total rejection from the rest of the U.S. Thanks you, Dave Peters! You're our hero!!

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Charlotte, NC
Dec 11, 2010 17:32 |  #8

LOL. That is ghetto.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Charlotte, NC
Dec 11, 2010 17:33 |  #9

dave63 wrote in post #11435374external link
"Black and white high contrast portraits were brought to the Midwest by Dave Peters in 1985."

With that kind of opening statement, he immediately lost my business interest, I don't care if they are $39.95. I absolutely loathe s**t like that.

Hey, Dave Peters also brought indoor plumbing and chrome napkin dispensers in 1983, thereby saving the Midwest from near total rejection from the rest of the U.S. Thanks you, Dave Peters! You're our hero!!

Do I sense a hint of jealousy from another Dave? haha :p

Arthur

KurtGoss
453 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Dec 11, 2010 17:35 as a reply to TMR Design's post |  #10
banned

I actually like the look of that catchlight. But then I see the price, my wallet starts thinking DIY. If it was $200-250 range, I think people would jump at it. I does have a rolling stand, and looks very sturdy.

A key response over on MM, do you really want to sit a client directly in front of something that "looks" DIY. You have to admit, the EyeLighter does have a "pro" look.

How does someone get to copyright a "shape"? This seems like it would be too generic to be able to copyright, and prevent someone from making one. Two bent rods, with a clamp to a rolling stand... seems like about 1 hour of DIY, including some flat black spraypaint. I have a friend who does custom auto parts, this looks like 10 minutes of bending and welding.

Where can I buy reflective material like this? I was thinking a used silver projection screen that rolls up and you hang on the wall -- but that might be too expensive compared to just -- $5 white cardboard :)

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Dec 11, 2010 17:45 |  #11

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #11435392external link
Do I sense a hint of jealousy from another Dave? haha :p

Jealous? Over what? Glaring ego?

No, thanks.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006
New York
Dec 11, 2010 17:47 |  #12

KurtGoss wrote in post #11435401external link
...A key response over on MM, do you really want to sit a client directly in front of something that "looks" DIY. ...

Well, there's diy and then there's DIY. Rob, for example, I'm sure would have no qualms seating a paying client in front of his DIY fluorescent ringlight. Certainly Dean Collins had clients clamoring to get in front of his PVC "Tinkertube" constructs. A DIY can be made to work very well and look very professional.

Dave F.

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Dec 11, 2010 17:50 |  #13

A decent option for bendable robs would be the support rods for suspended ceilings. You can probably find them in a package of about 80,000 at Home Despot or some other place that sells stuff like that to contractors.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Dec 11, 2010 17:52 |  #14

tetrode wrote in post #11435445external link
Well, there's diy and then there's DIY. Rob, for example, I'm sure would have no qualms seating a paying client in front of his DIY fluorescent ringlight. Certainly Dean Collins had clients clamoring to get in front of his PVC "Tinkertube" constructs. A DIY can be made to work very well and look very professional.

Dave F.

Exactly, Dave. Of course it all depends on who is using the DIY and how you handle and present yourself. When Dean Collins used a single Metz potato masher and DIY diffusion panel with foam core reflectors and flags, I don't think anyone cared. If Dean was shooting them nothing else mattered.

Robert

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009
Dec 11, 2010 17:58 as a reply to dave63's post |  #15

I bet you could bend some refrigerator coil pretty nicely, although it's not that strong and can get kinks. Another option would be the threaded rods they have at your hardware store, a bit harder to bend but can be done and would hold up better. Or you can just get a 9 gauge wire and twist a few around each other and then bend them.

sponsored links

24,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
curvable rods for DIY EyeLighter reflector?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.