Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of September 2011 (Sun)   #16
danielv

Default Re: Mini review PhotoClam PT-124 Pro Carbon 8X Tripod

Hi,

After using this tripod for about a year can you recommend it (there are no reviews of this one other than yours)?
I am quite a new in photo and not on pro level (Gear to be supported is D7K + 16-85 + SB700 + 70-200(300) in future - Yer I know this is Canon forum and my gear is Nikon )...
I found the following list of possibilities for using as a travel one (full setup should be up to 1.5 kg):
Photo Clam Pro PT124 (1.1 kg) ~360$ on ebay.
Feisol CT-3441S (1.2 kg) / CT-3342 (1.25 kg) ~390$
Sirui T1204X (0.8 kg) / N1204 (1.0 kg) ~380/280 $ (know nothing about this one)
Velbon Ultra REXi L (1.3 kg) ~170$ (have a good recommendations for price / value)
Gitzo GT1541T (1 kg) - well known, terrible price. a bit short for me (I am about 180 cm tall). ~650$

Since I have nothing of those at local market I will need to get decision based on advice only
Can you please comment about and advice what will be the best choice? (budget is about 500$ possible to be enlarged to 600$ for the setup of legs + head + ).

Still know nothing about heads.
Do I need first to chose the legs and then look out for head or it can be done independently?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Last edited by danielv : 25th of September 2011 (Sun) at 09:53.
danielv is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of September 2011 (Wed)   #17
ddong

You listed 5 tripods here, I used Gitzo 1541T, Feisol 3441s and I am still using PhotoClam PT124.

I definitely recommend PhotoClam Pro PT tripod for travel and hiking use. It has similar build quality like Gitzo but less money, you actually don't need take care of it too much (key point one). It didn't fail yet for one year use (few month on tough environment because I lent it to a Pro friend). It's also taller than Gitzo (key point two for me as I am 186cm).

Forget about Feisol 3441s, it is not built for tough use. You need take care of it on the field, even at home. It's probably only worth half the listed price. I sold it after 4 month use.

For ballhead, I use Markins Q3T with quick release. IMHO, ballhead is more important than leg or equal import. You probably want to buy a head first, then tripod.
Old 1st of October 2011 (Sat)   #18
danielv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddong View Post
I definitely recommend PhotoClam Pro PT tripod for travel and hiking use.
Forget about Feisol 3441s, it is not built for tough use.
Thank you for recommendation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddong View Post
For ballhead, I use Markins Q3T with quick release. IMHO, ballhead is more important than leg or equal import. You probably want to buy a head first, then tripod.
Ok, I will take a look on this ballhead. As I see from brief view it requires camera plate.
Can I understand from this that every ballhead will require it?

Can you recommend some other ballhead to check? (360$ legs + 300$ head + 50$ plate = 710$ currently it is out of my budget ) Is it possible to get some good head for PT124 legs for up to 200$? Or just to take a time and enlarge the budget up to 700-750$?
danielv is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of October 2011 (Sat)   #19
Mossman6

I recently got a 1541t (was lucky and found 1 at a local shop) and am traveling with it in NY right now. It fits INSIDE my Thinktank Airport securty case, along with my 2 cameras, 5 lenses, and manfrotto nano lightstand and an elinchrom quadra! I specifically bought it due to a super compact form factor, so it would fit along with my other gear.