Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 18 Dec 2010 (Saturday) 11:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

85L MK2 Eye Test

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Dec 18, 2010 11:14 |  #1

I purchased the Sigma 85 and had issues with it... erratic focusing at different distance. I tried for 3 days to dial in the lens with no luck....so... I sent it back and picked up the 85LMK2....

First... this is not a scientific test... I used Lens Align to adjust the lens earlier today and my wife was nice enough (although super tired) to let me fire off about 60 shots. Out of the 60... I missed 5 shots.... mostly at F/1.2 and F/1.4 shots No fault of the lens....shooting F/1.2 is not easy at all... IMO.

I shot as if I would shoot a client... different distances... moving close and moving back... just like I would a real session. I think the lens did great. I do think I need to make one more MA adjustment... to +5 backwards vs +4 as I think F/1.2 shots will benefit.

I did use ND filters stacked to cut enough light to shoot down to F/1.2 with the strobes.

So... on to the shots... All are pretty much usable with F/1.2 being a little soft for my taste... and again... one more adjustment might do the trick. And... I need to learn how to shoot @ F/1.2 effectively .

All images were brought in to ACR and sharpened at 55

No additional sharpening... shots are at a 100% crop.

Very positive first round... round 2 tomorrow.

Hatch

F/1.2

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

F-1_2 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

F/1.6
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

F-1_6 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

F/1.8

F-1_8 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

F/2.0

F2_0 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

F/2.5

F-2_5 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

F/4.0

F_4 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

F/5.6

F-5_6 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

F/8.0

F-8 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
WhyFi
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
I got a castle in Brooklyn, that's where I dwell.
Dec 18, 2010 12:09 |  #2

Man, if that f/1.2 shot is soft for your tastes, you've got a quite lofty palate.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Dec 18, 2010 12:20 as a reply to WhyFi's post |  #3

What were your focus settings?

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Bellbrook, Ohio, USA
Dec 18, 2010 12:32 |  #4

5.6 looks the sharpest to me. REALLY sharp...

It's too bad your wife has fried retinas after 60 flash shots in a row. I'm actually surprised there are eyelashes left after that much light exposure!

Most everyone I know runs from the third flash exposure!

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Minnesota
Dec 18, 2010 12:53 |  #5

stupid-sharp :)

Maybe better lighting on the eye-ballz to get the neat detail of them...?

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flickexternal linkr

aroundlsu
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Dec 18, 2010 13:14 |  #6

If it looks a touch soft it's probably your ND filter. You should try some without the Nd. Don't tell me you can't figure out I way to bring your strobes light level down a few stops. ;)

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

www.TeddySmithSOC.com (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Dec 18, 2010 13:20 |  #7

WhyFi wrote in post #11474504external link
Man, if that f/1.2 shot is soft for your tastes, you've got a quite lofty palate.

:) One more adjustment... and I think it will be really spot on. :)

rick_reno wrote in post #11474564external link
What were your focus settings?

Single shot..Auto focus...center point...without focusing and recomposing.

richardfox wrote in post #11474609external link
5.6 looks the sharpest to me. REALLY sharp...

It's too bad your wife has fried retinas after 60 flash shots in a row. I'm actually surprised there are eyelashes left after that much light exposure!

Most everyone I know runs from the third flash exposure!

yeah... she was ready to stop by the 10th shot. LOL

Erik_L wrote in post #11474692external link
stupid-sharp :)

Maybe better lighting on the eye-ballz to get the neat detail of them...?

Typical beauty dish setup...

aroundlsu wrote in post #11474772external link
If it looks a touch soft it's probably your ND filter. You should try some without the Nd. Don't tell me you can't figure out I way to bring your strobes light level down a few stops. ;)

Would be the ND... will have another try later today. Yes... I can calm the strobes some... I want to keep the main in close with the beauty dish... I have a 3 stop ND gel I will use this evening on the strobe... I was lazy last night...

Thanks for the comments all.
Hatch

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

aroundlsu
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Dec 18, 2010 13:32 |  #8

That's why I love my profoto d1 250 monolight. At minimum power I can shoot wide open with a gridded dish right in the face of my subject. I do it all the time.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

www.TeddySmithSOC.com (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Dec 18, 2010 13:35 |  #9

aroundlsu wrote in post #11474821external link
That's why I love my profoto d1 250 monolight. At minimum power I can shoot wide open with a gridded dish right in the face of my subject. I do it all the time.

I have the Elinchrom 600rx's and they get down there... but... the best I can do is about F/2.8 with a deflector in the beauty dish and the sock on... at ISO 50. :) Didn't have the grid in... might toss it in for kicks. After that,... I have to stack the ND filters... or add a gel. Sometimes... less is more.

Hatch

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Dec 18, 2010 18:39 |  #10

I see a lot of CA on the F1.2 shot. Try to take some of it out and it is really sharp.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sydney
Dec 18, 2010 20:36 |  #11

Hi Hatch. Doesn't look bad - if it helps here's an example from my 7D at f1.2 (not sure what sharpening was applied... its just whatever is default for ACR)

Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

100% crop of above image...
IMAGE: http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9408/mg5459.jpg

Portfolio - Fashion/Beautyexternal link
Portfolio - Kidsexternal link
Model Mayhemexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Dec 18, 2010 20:54 |  #12

Thanks for the sample shots.

I adjusted the lens today.. one more time... just to +5 back versus +4 and things look great. Going to leave it. F/1.2 looks really nice. I just need to work on nailing the shots with the thin DOF.

Nice image BTW.

This lens is not going back... very pleased with the results.

Hatch

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Dec 19, 2010 11:09 |  #13

f/1.2 should be sharper and with more contrast. the stacked NDs take their toll

5Dc | 35L 85LII 100Macro | 580EX II 430EX

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008
Vancouver, BC.
Dec 19, 2010 11:18 |  #14

Hey Hatch,

Thanks for taking the time to do the test! I love the 85L @ f2.0! It's just sexy sharp at that aperture while still maintaining the DOF that i want.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blogexternal linkYoutube Channelexternal linkTwitterexternal linkGear Listexternal link

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Dec 19, 2010 22:12 |  #15

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #11478949external link
f/1.2 should be sharper and with more contrast. the stacked NDs take their toll

You are correct... I went back... dialed in the lens to +5 backwards and it is very sharp at F/1.2. No ND filters this time around... :)

Marloon wrote in post #11478995external link
Hey Hatch,

Thanks for taking the time to do the test! I love the 85L @ f2.0! It's just sexy sharp at that aperture while still maintaining the DOF that i want.

Glad you liked it.... I don't mind see charts and stuff... but.. I have to make sure the eyes are sharp... if I can't dial a lens in and the eyes are not sharp... it gets sent back. This is what happened to the Sig85...I got a bad copy.... picked up the 85L... no looking back now. lol
Hatch

sponsored links

2,916 views & 0 likes for this thread
85L MK2 Eye Test
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.