Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 17:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

HOW TO: Short Tutorial in getting Screen Captures in Windows and Paint

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 21, 2010 17:46 |  #1

Taking a Screen Capture from Windows, Through Paint, and Into POTN: A Tutorial

Greetings and Salutations!

Recently, I've been spending a lot of time with my little laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, DPP, and no Photoshop or other editing software -- except for the humble Microsoft Paint, which I had not used in years.

But, I have had a couple occasions most recently to capture screen shots, bring them into Paint, work on them using cropping and resizing, and then uploading them from my computer to POTN. I've most recently fielded an inquiry asking about this very thing, and was able to give a quick partial answer.

So, today the thought came to mind of putting together a little tutorial, complete with screen shots that not only illustrate this process but also use this process only, so you will know I'm not just "pulling your legs":)!

For those who are experienced in all this stuff, and will never need to or want to use Paint for anything, you can ignore this, but for the others...

So, let's begin!

Getting the Screen Shot

First off, for those with Windows Vista or Win7, you should get to know the Snipping Tool -- it's great for a quick crop of your screen and quick save to a jpeg. From there you can go down to the directions of loading into Paint, although you will load a jpeg instead of copying from the Windows Clipboard. Or you can skip to uploading to POTN if you just want to post the simple screen crop rather than a more "compound" image like I deal with farther on.

Here is a post later in this thread dealing with the Snipping Tool:

http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=11511014&postco​unt=22

Now, for doing a screen capture in the "old fashioned" way (and using XP or older):

Our keyboards have the button toward the upper left of the screen with the little Prt Sc (or some similar lettering) label. If you've never messed with it, know that pushing that button takes a capture of your screen and stores it in your clipboard. You can then paste it in an image editing program (Photoshop, Elements, Gimp, and, yes, Paint).

Now, that certainly seems like a no-brainer. But there is a catch -- the capture using this method is a full screen capture, meaning that the image you end up with will be all your screen at its full screen resolution. This is often not what you want, in fact, I'll be so bold as to say this is rarely what you want.

Here is an example of a full-screen capture, but note that I had to shrink it way down just to make it viewable (we'll talk about resizing in a bit):

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Note that DPP is in the foreground, POTN is in the back, Calc is in the back, in fact the whole desktop is showing! Not so good! That would take cropping just to get something viewable, as well as resizing, and I prefer to work a bit more efficiently.

So, the "trick" is the use of the Alt+PrnScn keys -- this will capture only the Active Window, so what shows up has a couple useful possibilities. One is the app window you are actuall using:

HOSTED PHOTO

So, as you see, just my DPP window with an unedited image shows up, complete though with the docked film strip and the editing panel.

Now that may be more than I would want, but for getting the application screen capture it was as simple as Alt-PrtScn. I did have to do some resizing, though.

I was hoping I could do this in one post, but the Attach function still won't let me load more than two images, so I'll continue to Chapter Two in the next post Where I'll cover getting an image into Paint!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,183 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Dec 21, 2010 17:53 |  #2

Great tip!. Thanks.

Kent ­ Clark
355 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Dec 21, 2010 17:53 |  #3

OK, Tony maybe you know the answer to this. Here on my work PC I have PS CS4. If I hit Print Screen and open Paint and go to Edit the Paste option is active, I can paste my printscreen into it. But if I go to PS instead of Paint the Paste option is grayed out, even though I know the capture is on my clipboard. What's up with that?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Dec 21, 2010 17:55 |  #4

Pretty sure you need to create a new document and the dialogue box should already have the dimensions of the clipboard in the boxes.

Make that new document
Select ALL
Paste Into

Then follow Tony's thoughts on re-sizing for POTN use.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 21, 2010 19:18 |  #5

Getting a Screen Capture into Paint

Hey!

Special Note: In the last "chapter" I left out something: if you are using a laptop, the keyboard configurations will very possibly be different and incorporate a "function" (fn) key (mine does). If so, your PrtScn function may be a "Function function". On my laptop the "normal" use of the key is as a Home key. So, I have to use a Fn-Alt-PrtScn to get a capture of the active window, so bear that in mind.

Before you open Paint, you can go ahead and do a screen capture. Here, though, is a new suggested step:

Often, the "relevant" info we want is not in the main application screen but in a dialog box. In DPP that could be say the crop box or, say we want the details of the Toolbox without all the image and Filmstrip stuff. We could alter the last shot by cropping, and I'll cover that in a later post, but the present "tip" is to open the desired dialog or window as a separate window (you can double-click an image in the "Normal" window and it will open as a separate window. If the Tools window is not there, press Ctl-T to open it for a selected image.

Click on the actual Tools window to make sure it is active, then do the Alt-PrsScn maneuver. That will load only the Tools (or a dialog) window into the Clipboard as long as the programming behaves itself.

Now you can open Paint! The way I do it at first is just open the Start button menu and type "paint" into the command box and up it comes. You can later likely find Paint as an icon in the Start menu you just opened (it will stay there for a while and then disappear if you don't use it).

When paint opens, it does so with a New Document window. The new version of Paint that comes with Win7 (maybe it did with Vista as well) has, instead of a "traditional" window menu system, a toolbar with various familiar items in not so familiar places.

For this stuff we are concerned with the tools of the upper left corner. Here's a little crop of that corner:

HOSTED PHOTO

Note at the upper right is what looks like a little list -- this is actually a pull-down list for the old File menu. Note this, because you will need it for the New, the Save and occasionally the Save As functions!

Below that is the one we will start with, the Paste "function" -- if you have something in the clipboard, either from a Copy or a PrtScn, that will be active. Then there are recognizable things that are grayed out in this New Image state. The tools we will use in this tutorial will be the Clipboard Pase function, the Paste from function, the Select function, the Crop function and the Resize function, so make note because one of these is hidden!

So, for Paste, you have two choices: if you have something in the clipboard you click on the Clipboard (top) icon, or you can also click on the Paste label to either also get the clipboard item from clicking Paste again or you can use Paste from to open a file browser to load an image and past into your pic. We will use that later -- it's the approach to take for some simple composites.

Assuming you have a PrtScn in your clipboard, click the clipboard icon and voila, you will see your PrtScn image:

HOSTED PHOTO

Now, since I've hit the two-upload max, before we start the next "chapter" let's take note of something important:

The dotted line around the image itself means it is "selected" and so the crop tool is now activated, and there are the little squares that will allow you to stretch, etc. This is not the same as changing the canvas size -- we will see this is different.

On a related note, there is no white space around the image, and this is important. This means that the actual white canvas started out smaller than the PrtScn image, and so when the image was pasted in the canvas was enlarged to fit the image. This is good news for a quick operation -- this shot can be saved as-is (through that File drop-down menu) and, because the size and the resulting file size "fits" POTN regs, it's good to go. But it also hides the problem of dealing with a larger canvas. So'll I'll continue this in my next post.

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,887 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Dec 21, 2010 19:25 as a reply to tonylong's post |  #6

Good little write-up, Tony. If you're using Paint much, at all, I'd recommend checking out Paint.NETexternal link; I've found it be a much easier to use basic editor over the years.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 21, 2010 19:42 |  #7

Resizing the Canvas

Hey, I fell behind some of the comments, hopefully I can keep a step ahead for awhile.

Paint does operate somewhat differently from Photoshop, but because I'm on my laptop without Photoshop I can't address the minutae. I know that if you have a PrtScn in your clipboard and then do a File/New in Photoshop, the new canvas "magically" has the dimensions of the image in the clipboard -- cool, and I believe I've always been able to do a Ctl-V to paste the clipboard into the image -- don't know why that doesn't work for the above poster.

Now, in Paint, you will run into the following problem either frequently or not-so-frequently, but it is a problem to know about, and that is often the white canvas will be larger than your screen shot. This shows as white space. It may fill your entire window, or it could be partial like this:

HOSTED PHOTO

The Resize function won't "fix" this because it shrinks the whole image. And, you have to deal with this before saving the image or you'll have a huge image!

So, quickly, here is how you can resize the canvas:

To do this, first you can't have the actual image selected -- you have to have the canvas active. So, click outside the image until the dotted line disappears. Now, if you look closely at the right side center and the botttom of the canvas what you will see is small boxes -- handles that you can drag to change the canvas size without changing your picture size.

The upper-left parts of the canvas will not have the handles, because when you do the clipboard Paste the image is placed right at the top and the left of the canvas. So, it will not allow you to resize from that direction.

So, to me the mose useful button is the bottom right corner, where you can drag the canvas border quickly both up and in.

With a large canvas it can be way down there so you'll have to scroll down and right until you see this:

HOSTED PHOTO

Drag the corner all the way to the lower right corner of your image and you're in good shape to move on to the next "chapter"!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 21, 2010 20:10 |  #8

Heh! I haven't checked out Paint.NET -- I figure I'm doing good just playing with this, later I can look at that!

Resizing Your Image

Resizing your image isn't always needed -- for those smaller dialogs, for example, they aren't to big for POTN dimensions and the file size is not to large to upload from your computer. Since for these lessons I'm using both of those techniques I do have to watch the file size as well as the dimensions. So, for the full-screen and full-app windows I resized to 800 pixeld wide to keep the file size down.

Once you have understood what your dimensions need to be, both for display and file size, the rest is easy -- you click the Resize label that we saw on the toolbar, and this little dialog will open:

HOSTED PHOTO

The one little nit to pay attention to is that by default the choice is "percentage" but that's no biggie. Resize will keep your aspect ratio, so it's pretty quick to just fill in one dimension and let it fill in the other.

But, like I mentioned, if you are uploading to POTN from your computer, double-check your file size. I know just working on these I've had to re-save a number of times.

Cropping

Cropping has a couple things that can throw you off. For one thing, you can only crop if the image is selected. It's in that state when you first paste it into the new image, but from there you will easily lose the selection in various ways and will have to re-select.

But, unless you have done the previous step of resizing the canvas to fit the image, if you do a Ctl-A (select all) the crop will appear, but it will be around the whole canvas. That's OK, you can still click the crop button if it's active, it just may be visually tricky.

But, here is a neat trick that I just found out:

See the Select tools from my little toolbar snippet? It shows a box that you can just click for a "normal" rectangle or a few choices if you click Select. Well, try this -- have a screenshot that has too much "stuff" that you want to make disappear. Now,click on the rectangle Select button. If you now hover over your image, you will get a little crosshair. Draw your rectangle and you will notice two things: there is of course the dotted "selected" line and the crop tool is now bold (active).

Now, do you want to see something really cool, and that I had not before tonight learned? Click on the crop tool and what happens? It does not draw a cropping line which it otherwise would do, it actually magically crops the image, both the image and the canvas, and bang! You now have a ready-to-save image!

This was so cool I'm not gonna add anything to this "chapter" -- play around with this stuff! From here I want to cover uploading images to POTN (after saving of course), and that's a new topic, so I hope I've helped some of you to at least get started with Paint in a less painful way:)!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 21, 2010 22:47 |  #9

Onward and Upward from Paint to POTN

Alrighty then!

When we last chatted, or that is you listened, we had learned the essentials of preparing a single screenshot image. We were ready to save the image and then upload! Actually, Save is straightforward and, as long as you followed the advice about resizing for image size and file size limits you should have no problems.

There is one little thing that may interest you, though: sometimes you may want or need to post more than one ScreenShot "snippet" in one image, kind of a composite showing more than one facet of your work? Or, if, say, you have three of those snippets that belong in a sinle post the two-image limit would prevent you from posting the three.

But, if you are dealing with small snippets, you can put them together in one image as long as it stays withing the size guidelines.

Now in Photoshop I typically use separate images to load each screenshot and have a New document that I create with my "final" dimensions. I then just crop, copy and paste the "pieces" from each screen shot into the new doc, they go into their own blank layer and can be moved around and everything gets shown because the blank layers are transparent. Easy!

Well, Paint ain't Photoshop. Not only are there no layers to play with, there is not even the capabiliy to open more than one image at once! Try it and see -- if you have an image open an then do a New, the first order of business is to close your current image!

So, what do we do? I've thought about it, and I think I have an approach that will work OK.

First, create your screen shot snippets -- small panels or dialogs and crops of anything too big to share "canvas space". Then save them (make sure there is no blank canvas space) -- I just keep all my pics for a project like this in a dedicated folder.

Now, in Paint open a New image. It will by default open to the latest-used canvas size. Now, click that Resize tool and it will open that dialog we've seen. Remember to click pixels and then change one of the dimensions to somewhat bigger than you'll actuall need. On a rectangular canvas in landscape orientation I changed my width to 900 pixels and it came out as a 900x600 canvas size.

Now, remember the Paste drop-down list that had Paste from? Here's what we do: click Paste from and get to one of your little images and open/paste it. You will note that the item will appear at the upper left of the canvas. If that's right where you want it, all well and good, or if you hover over the selected item you will see a crosshairs and you can click and drag the item around to place it.

Once you move on, the item will be unselected and you will not be able to go back and move it around without possibly causing a mess, although if it's all on white canvas you can use that quick select rectangle and do it.

Now, do it again with a second image. It will again land in the upper left corner, and here you have to be decisive about your moving -- as long as it stays in the "fresh" state you can move it freely. But if, say, you deselect it to do something else then, if you try to reselect and move it, well, you will have a rectangle of blank white canvas underneath instead of the pic that was on the bottom.

That's just a word of warning -- if you want you can open the "last first" by moving an image all the way to the right, then the next one over, etc.

But, if you work efficiently, you should have left over some canvas on the lower right that you can use the corner handle to "shrink the canvas" without shrinking the actual images, and then you are good to go! Check the file size, of course.

For the uploading section, I will create composite screenshots like this!

Uploading to POTN

Many of us have Web image hosting sites that we use both to upload images to our online galleries but also then to easily post an image on POTN. You've seen references to Flickr, Smugmug, Zenfolio, and PBase, to name a few popular ones. Many of them have a free service as well as a pay service.

The pros of doing things this way are a few. First, you have more flexibility. For one thing, even though you have to follow the POTN limit for image size in pixels, 1024 at the widest, the file size restriction isn't there like it is in POTN because the image we see here is a rendering of the image, rather than a file uploaded to POTN. So, I can upload a higher quality image to my host PBase and link to POTN and I still have the "quality" image in PBase. Also, many sites like PBase and Flickr produce smaller versions of the image for more "normal" viewing sizes, and I often will post one of those here for pic that I share for a reason but not so much as an "image sharing" pic.

The one downside I've seen about this is that unless your galleries that you are posting from are all "keepers" you will in time likely move them or remove them altogether. So, if you look at an image sharing thread, like say a lens archive thread, that has been active for a fair amount of time and page through the earliest posts, well, you will see a lot of disappeared images!

Well, in this tutorial we will use the "Layman's Alternative". I'm aiming this largely toward those who are just getting started, as well as those who want a "quick" way of doing all this without bogging down a Web Host with screen captures coming out the ears. I admit, I have screen captures I've put in one gallery in particular -- it's the one I put my contributions into for our Raw Conversion thread, but for day-to-day screen captures I've been doing it this way and am quite happy!

So, here's how to get an image from your Paint-saved PC folder to POTN!

First, if you look at the bottom of the text box for "Post Quick Reply" you will see the "Go Advanced" button. Click it!

Next, note in the upper toolbar, you will see toward the center of this "window" a little staple-shaped icon -- hover over it and you may see a "Attachments" tool tip. As you may guess, this is the Attachments tool!

When you click it for the first time in a post, there will be no attachments yet, so you will get a dialog for Browsing and Uploading up to two photos -- click browse and select your image (there won't be icons, so make sure of the right image). Do that once or twice and then you can click Upload -- the image or images should upload into Photoshop.

The first of the two combined screenshot clips, made using the "quick select/crop" method I mentioned in the prior post on cropping, shows this first dialog box, made as I write this, and next to it to the right you will see the little paper clip Attachments icon in the upper toolbar, so you will know...

From there, you actually have to attach your images to the post. This step requires again clicking the Attachments icon. You will now see three choices -- Manage Attachments if you want to reopen the previous dialog, or, if you are ready to attach an image, it (or more than one) is/are shown in the list. Click it and an ID number surrounded by ATTACH tags is pasted into your post. If it is properly positioned (good to have an empty line between text and an attachment or between two attachments) then you are good to continue on! When you hit Submit Reply, if you did things properly the image(s) should show up.

The second "combined" screenshot clip will show that second dialog and also you should (if I'm successful) see the tagged attachment ID of an actual pic.

So, assuming everything goes as planned, I'm about to create all this stuff and post the result here:

HOSTED PHOTO

And that's it, folks! I've spent some time on this, learning as I've gone along, but I really hope it's been some help to folks! This is a great place to learn, and then to give back to help others! Pay it forward!

THE END!!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 21, 2010 22:49 |  #10

Now that's a crackup! An "orphaned" image got attached, and I'm not sure how to un-orphan it -- it doesn't show up in my typed post -- I'll have to poke around!

Tony

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Dec 22, 2010 04:03 |  #11

Edit > Advanced > Manage attachments.
I hope I deleted the right one :mrgreen:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 22, 2010 08:29 |  #12

René Damkot wrote in post #11495746external link
Edit > Advanced > Manage attachments.
I hope I deleted the right one :mrgreen:

It worked!

Tony

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006
New Mexico, USA
Dec 22, 2010 14:11 as a reply to tonylong's post |  #13

Some of us use a screen grab utility. I'm currently using ScreenPrint32 which is a free download and seems like it has been around forever. Works great and saves the screen capture to the destination you specify in a number of different file formats. For convenience, I usually save screen shots to the desktop as a JPG, immediately ready for upload to POTN.

You can capture the entire screen, the active window, or a cropped section. I hit the PrtScr button and the ScreenPrint 32 dialog pops up and asks what I want to do. Very easy.

http://download.cnet.c​om ...3000-2384_4-10135610.htmlexternal link

At my office I always used SnagIt, from Techsmith software. Not free, but very powerful. What I liked is that Snagit allows you to capture a scrolled window or a complete web page.

http://www.techsmith.c​om/snagit/external link

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10864029#post10​864029

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Dec 22, 2010 15:36 |  #14

Good info, Chas -- anything that will help our newer or less-experienced friends, especially if they are not yet endowed with Photoshop, Elements, or the Gimp:)!

Tony

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006
New Mexico, USA
Dec 22, 2010 17:03 |  #15

tonylong wrote in post #11498594external link
...especially if they are not yet endowed ...

So... you're saying that WE are "well endowed"? :oops: ;)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10864029#post10​864029

sponsored links

6,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
HOW TO: Short Tutorial in getting Screen Captures in Windows and Paint
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.