Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of December 2010 (Wed)   #1
madmanyou

Default Has anyone seen Phil Steele's online course?

I am some what interested in buying the Steele portrait course he has on his site.

Has anyone seen it or know anything about it?

http://www.steeletraining.com/

its $47 bucks seems decent.
Old 29th of December 2010 (Wed)   #2
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Has anyone seen Phil Steele's online course?

Isn't there a small free one available. I remember seeing one through some blog.
Old 29th of December 2010 (Wed)   #3
madmanyou

Didnt see any free ones. I know there are a few out there that give you small tid bits and then leave you hanging. But this looks decent.
Old 3rd of January 2011 (Mon)   #4
Vince00

Did you try it? I was thinking the same thing.

Camera : Canon EOS 60D l Canon S5IS | Glass : Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF-s 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | Flash : Canon Speedlight 430ex
Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2011 (Mon)   #5
madmanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
Did you try it? I was thinking the same thing.
No not yet, I have not had much time lately to sit down and take the dive.

I think I will though in a week or so.
Old 4th of January 2011 (Tue)   #6
LittleFish

if i'm not mistaken, i think he's a POTN member. I remember him posting something about his website here somewhere.
Old 4th of January 2011 (Tue)   #7
kompressor

Did you check out all his youtube videos yet? Might give you a better idea if you like his teaching style or not.
Old 5th of January 2011 (Wed)   #8
madmanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
Did you check out all his youtube videos yet? Might give you a better idea if you like his teaching style or not.
I did...seems legit. When Im back from my little vacation I'm going to check it out and let you guys know how it was.
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #9
madmanyou

OK So I have not fully gathered all my final thoughts on Phil’s videos, however I can tell you pros and cons against my other findings.

I purchased his videos and watched them a couple times. What I noticed is many things can be seen on his free videos and I think in some way he should weed them out and just have new content in his "Paid version" I felt like after I purchased the videos there were only a few things that were new to me. A lot of the stuff I already knew based on his free videos and other free content I learn elsewhere.

What I did enjoy is how he shoots and actually displays the photos from the set he is actually shooting and provides the settings he had on the specific shot right on the screen. He gives you a few example locations/set ups for portraits which is cool, however I think more variety of places would have been a lot more useful. It seems like he did not leave his apartment complex to shoot the whole video series.

More positives is he explains some of the inexpensive gear you can buy and sometimes where to buy it. He also gives the alternative expensive choice for reference. So if your real new to this stuff it is very helpful!

So far my thoughts on the Phil Steele's "How to Shoot Professional-Looking Headshots and Portraits on a Budget with Small Flashes" is that it is a little over priced for what you get. Great for real noobs. However you may be disappointed if you have a little experience with off camera flash as far as what you actually get with the series. Another draw back is even though you get a non expired log in to view the videos you must watch them online. I understand he is trying to protect copy rights. But this just means you always need to have Internet in order to view the vids.

I compared this with a recent purchase of a video series from these guys at www.lightenupandshoot.com they have a "V-book" which is pretty amazing especially when you see the price.

Phil Steele’s videos cost $47 USD at a discount price!!! Which don’t get me wrong is an OK price, But when you compare what you get with the V-Book from lightenupandshoot Phil’s videos seem overpriced.

Lightenupandshoots V-Book is only $15.23 USD!!!!!! And its a download with the embedded videos and text!!! Meaning you have them on your computer to view without Internet anytime hassle free.

These guys at lightenupandshoot are great! Down to earth, real guys that truly just want to help others produce great shots and have fun doing it. Their main motive is to have fun shooting flash photos and to do it without spending a lot of money. The content you receive in this V-Book is 5 times the amount in Phil’s Videos.

I think Phil Steele’s video price tag should be half the price it currently is in order for it to be even comparable to the content in the V-Book.

This is just my two cents.

Last edited by madmanyou : 21st of January 2011 (Fri) at 21:07.
madmanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #10
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

Thanks for the review. I don't mind higher price but they one should be able to sell it after watching it like Zack Arias DVDs. It cosst like $10-$20 in the end.
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #11
cbknight

I agree. Bought/subscribed to it for my wife as she is learning OCF. I also figured I would pick up a few things I didn't know. Although I didn't feel I got anything, my wife likes it and it makes for a good q&a session for us when she gets through with a segment. If it would have been strictly for me, I would have been disappointed. But she is getting some use out of it so feel it is worth the money for someone new to OCF. But if youve been a few shoots with moderate success, I would move along.

[/url]
cbknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of January 2011 (Sat)   #12
scotjackson

I don't know about Mr. Steele but I have purchased the v-book and frequent the Lightnupand shoot site and I have purchased the Zach Arias cd used of of here . Both excellent all though Zach used is generally around 150 brand new 250. V-book is 15 bucks love it!
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #13
Watwerboy

Default Thank you.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP.
I was in the check out "line" to get the Phil Steele video.
I have been hesitant for a few reasons, but it DOES look like a good product,
and I might still make the purchase.
However, after reading about the "Lightenupandshoot" V-Book, I went ahead and took the plunge.
I have already read a few pages of their book, and watched a few videos as well.
I am very excited about this journey.

Might seem like a silly first post - but I appreciate everybody's input regarding this topic.
Take care

Scott
Watwerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2012 (Tue)   #14
AvailableLight

I think I'm going with the Lightenupandshoot. Sounds like fun!
AvailableLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of July 2012 (Wed)   #15
photofreak99

Hi guys, Phil Steele here,
First, thanks for all the great comments on the flash portrait course. I especially appreciate MadManYou saying it's "great for newbies" and CBKnight's description of the value his wife got from it.

And I want to confirm that this is a course for off-camera-flash beginners. If you're already shooting OCF and well-experienced with the gear and techniques, you won't find much here that is new (although you might get some useful tips and refreshers).

I also want to point out that I have updated the course several times and added new content since MadManYou's original review.

The biggest addition was the new segment entitled "The Four-Step Formula for Choosing Manual Camera and Flash Settings" which has turned out to be very popular. I've also updated the flash-trigger comparisons as new triggers have come on the market.

This ability to update the online course, to keep it current with fast-changing technology, and to add new content, is one of the advantages of an online video course that you won't get from any v-book or e-book, which rapidly become outdated.

Naturally all subscribers get these updates for free, and will get more in the future.

Thanks again for the great comments, and I hope you found this helpful in deciding whether this course is right for you.

Phil Steele
SteeleTraining.com
BurnMonkey.com Photos from the Burning Man Festival
photofreak99 is offline   Reply With Quote