Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 30 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 02:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need some help w/ the PW FlexTT5

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dec 30, 2010 02:10 |  #1

So I just bought a set of PW MiniTT1 + 2x FlexTT5 used here on POTN. I was led to believe (from PW's demo video, as well as the instructions) that these triggers are pretty much fire-and-forget. As in, attach flash to FlexTT, attach a Mini or a Flex to the body's hotshoe, make sure the units are on and on the same channels, take a test shot, and you're good to go (for ETTL).

Being completely new to these RF trigger system, I have no idea why it isn't working. The flash I'm using is the 580EX2 (and although I understand there might be some interference issues, I was under the impression that only really affected the distance/range). I cannot even get the flash to fire within 5 feet from the camera. And I've also used the shoe filter + soft filter on the flash, still no joy.

If any experts can shed some light on the matter for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Being used, in the back of my mind, I start to wonder whether the units are bad/non-functional to begin with. The seller said it was only used once and that all the units worked. When asked when it was bought, seller said they were bought when first released. But the seller also said that the firmware was kept updated to ensure functionality.

Well, that's great and all, but in my noobish hands... it's not working. The battery was DoA on the Mini so I just ordered one. But since the FlexTT5 is a "transceiver", I just assumed slapping the TT5 on the body and mounting the 580ex2 on the other TT5 should work just as well. It's not.

I'm hoping I'm just missing a couple of basic steps to get them working but I'm also starting to wonder if I received duds.

Please help if you can. Thanks.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
troymm
268 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Orange County, CA
Dec 30, 2010 02:15 |  #2

have u used the pocket wizard utility to check if the camera selection is on auto or on a specific camera?

1D MKIII, 5D MKII, 40D, 24-70L, 35L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 135L, 85 1.8

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dec 30, 2010 02:21 |  #3

Yeah. So far, both TT5's are on Auto. Should I (is it better) to set them specifically to the 7D?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Fairport NY
Dec 30, 2010 02:32 |  #4

my first confusion was leaving the camera in Av mode and the camera did not need any fill flash so it did not force the flash to fire. Have you tried the camera in manual mode so the flash is forced to fire???

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dec 30, 2010 02:39 |  #5

Not yet. I will try it in Manual in a sec. But I'm in a dark room. Exposure setting in the camera is set to auto. I'm down at 1/4s shutter speed, iso 100, f/1.4 when I was in Av mode. I would think the camera/system would feel 1/4s is low enough light to warrant flash trigger.

** after checking in manual **

Nope. Flash won't trigger when shooting in Manual either. The build is 5.150. And I have 2 580ex2's and both won't work. (While both do work with the ST-E2).

Is this early onset paranoia of being a complete radio noob, or are some of you thinking that something's wrong with the Flex?

The seller stated that she's never used the Flex to trigger the Flex... and when she used it that one time, it was triggered with the Mini on the camera hotshoe. But that said... even assuming the mini can trigger both FlexTT5's... (which I will test out as soon as I get a new CR2450 batter), wouldn't that still mean there's something malfunctioning with the FlexTT5 if they can't trigger one another?

Julian

CxThree
713 posts
Joined May 2009
Dec 30, 2010 07:13 |  #6

You should be able to use it as a trigger or receiver.

Have you tried resetting them? How about rewriting the latest firmware, which will also do a reset at the end?

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Dec 30, 2010 07:46 |  #7

Download the latest version of the PocketWizard Utility (v1.35) and then use that to install the latest version of the firmware (v5.2).

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com/support/download​s/external link

After installing on all your units (they all need to be updated to the same version of the firmware), do a hard reset of the units (hold the Test and turn on the power and keep holding for 10 seconds until you see the unit blink green 4 times). It should be pretty much plug-&-play at this point, as you had assumed it should be. If it's still not working, it's possible one of the units is defective. Try using the MiniTT1 and see if that works with either of the FlexTT5 units.

...Leo

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Not the Left Coast but the Right Coast - USA
Dec 30, 2010 08:04 |  #8

PacAce wrote in post #11540278external link
Download the latest version of the PocketWizard Utility (v1.35) and then use that to install the latest version of the firmware (v5.2).

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com/support/download​s/external link

After installing on all your units (they all need to be updated to the same version of the firmware), do a hard reset of the units (hold the Test and turn on the power and keep holding for 10 seconds until you see the unit blink green 4 times). It should be pretty much plug-&-play at this point, as you had assumed it should be. If it's still not working, it's possible one of the units is defective. Try using the MiniTT1 and see if that works with either of the FlexTT5 units.

I don't know if the hard reset in now necessary with the new utility and firmwares (EDITED when working with properly configured units - although if your having problems a hard reset will put the units back to factory defaults)- after updating my mini & flex with the current (non-beta) firmwares the PW utility remembered my settings and loaded them without asking me to do a hard reset. In the past when I updated the firmwares the hard reset was part of the process and I hard to manually re-enter my settings on each unit, but the new utility asked me if I wanted to enter my previous settings and I checked the yes box, and the units were set with my previous settings.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Dec 30, 2010 08:09 |  #9

Palladium wrote in post #11540330external link
I don't know if the hard reset in now necessary with the new utility and firmwares - after updating my mini & flex with the current (non-beta) firmwares the PW utility remembered my settings and loaded them without asking me to do a hard reset. In the past when I updated the firmwares the hard reset was part of the process and I hard to manually re-enter my settings on each unit, but the new utility asked me if I wanted to enter my previous settings and I checked the yes box, and the units were set with my previous settings.

That is the reason I suggested he manually do a hard reset. So that any previous settings he might have had in there (from the previous owner) get cleared out.

...Leo

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Dec 30, 2010 08:09 as a reply to Palladium's post |  #10

After a hard reset you can try this typical setup and remember

You have 2 different configurations availalbe and each of these configurations need to be set to the same channels.

try these settings / channels for a typical Config.

Mini
Control Transit Channel 12
Standard Transit Channel 26

Flex
Control 1
Control Transit Channel 12
Standard Transit Channel 26
Control TL transit Channel 12

Make sure when your turned on both the Mini and Flex are in the Config 1 postion

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Dec 30, 2010 08:12 |  #11

PacAce wrote in post #11540344external link
That is the reason I suggested he manually do a hard reset. So that any previous setting he might have had in there doesn't get loaded back in.

Good Point

I've always updated from units that are set up properly and it was a pain to update 4 flex and 2 mini manually for each firmware.

petsnpeeps
384 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Dec 30, 2010 08:55 as a reply to Palladium's post |  #12

The units were purchased from me. The few times I messed with them, they worked fine. However, I never used the TT5s as a transmitter. They cant both be broken so something has to be setup wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would hate for him to have to send them back. I know they are like new. They've only been out of the camera bag a few times and used on a job once.

Desoto Image Photographyexternal link
Frogmobile QR Code Managementexternal link

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dec 30, 2010 09:57 |  #13

If I could reach you guys I would hug you. :lol:

Updating the utility and firmware and performing the factory reset (via the utility) worked. They are now plug-n-play as I expected them to be (on the FlexTT5's at least, but I wouldn't expect anything different with the Mini once I am able to get a battery in there).

Thank you CxThree, PacAce & Palladium for your assistance. Thank you Tina for the follow-up communication with me. :)

Julian

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Dec 30, 2010 10:02 |  #14

Cool! Glad you got them working! :D

...Leo

CxThree
713 posts
Joined May 2009
Dec 30, 2010 22:30 |  #15

Awesome. I have had mine get crossed up and had to reset them in the field to get them working. That was early on and it has not happened in a long time with the newer firmware updates. Hopefully you won't have to do it again. You will love them though. They are very cool devices. If you do not have the AC3 zone controller, look into it. It gives you a great deal of flexibility with minimal effort. :)

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

sponsored links

2,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need some help w/ the PW FlexTT5
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.