Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of December 2010 (Thu)   #1
m.shalaby
Goldmember

Default WARNING "Communications between the Camera and Lense is Faulty..."

"Communications between the Camera and Lense is Faulty. Clean the Lens Contacts."

I get this message, but only when I put on my Canon 17-55mm. All of my others lenses never gave me this message.

I just got my 17-55. Its brand new, and after the first few shots, I started to get this message... any idea?

Last edited by m.shalaby : 30th of December 2010 (Thu) at 16:27.
m.shalaby is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of December 2010 (Thu)   #2
Growingshort

Default Re: WARNING "Communications between the Camera and Lense is Faulty..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
"Communications between the Camera and Lense is Faulty. Clean the Lens Contacts."

I get this message, but only when I put on my Canon 17-55mm. All of my others lenses never gave me this message.

I just got my 17-55. Its brand new, and after the first few shots, I started to get this message... any idea?
Have you tried cleaning the bottom of your 17-55? It seems like a straightforward issue and if cleaning the bottom off your lens doesn't work then there seems to be an issue with the lens itself seeing as all your lenses work correctly.

Flickr
Growingshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of December 2010 (Thu)   #3
Fiddlefingers

I had that message once when I was twisting round trying to keep a flying bird in focus. I just switched the camera off then back on. It hadn't happened before and hasn't happened since. I never did clean the contacts. Not sure if I put too much pressure on the lens when twisting round which caused a communication problem.
Old 30th of December 2010 (Thu)   #4
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
I'd suspect the message had "lens" and not "lense" in it.

Seriously, you probably need to clean the gold-plated contacts on both the lens and the camera. DO NOT use an eraser to do that. Instead, use a clean lint-free cloth that's moistened (not dripping wet) with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). The 91% (or stronger) version would be better than the common 70% version. Carefully wipe off the camera mount contacts as well as the contacts on the rear of the lens.
SkipD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of December 2010 (Thu)   #5
cancan7

something inside the lens is faulty. I had this problem showing up pretty often too. Just send it to the Canon Service Center. I just collected it last week and it seems to be fine now.

Be sure to send in your body as well as this error does not show up very often and the technicians may not be able to detect it.
cancan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of December 2010 (Thu)   #6
swldstn

I have gotten this with 5D MkII and my new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM but never on a Canon lens. In each case the lens had been in a cold environment and the problem went away when I got the to a temp above freezing. Is this happening when it cold at all? Just wondering and concerned that the Sigma has a problem at low temp which would be a problem for me since I live in Maine...
Gear List
swldstn is offline   Reply With Quote