FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 30 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 16:14   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

m.shalaby
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
3,441 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

"Communications between the Camera and Lense is Faulty. Clean the Lens Contacts."

I get this message, but only when I put on my Canon 17-55mm. All of my others lenses never gave me this message.

I just got my 17-55. Its brand new, and after the first few shots, I started to get this message... any idea?

Post #1, Dec 30, 2010 16:14:18

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Growingshort
Joined Nov 2010
372 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

mdgrwl wrote in post #11543148external link
"Communications between the Camera and Lense is Faulty. Clean the Lens Contacts."

I get this message, but only when I put on my Canon 17-55mm. All of my others lenses never gave me this message.

I just got my 17-55. Its brand new, and after the first few shots, I started to get this message... any idea?

Have you tried cleaning the bottom of your 17-55? It seems like a straightforward issue and if cleaning the bottom off your lens doesn't work then there seems to be an issue with the lens itself seeing as all your lenses work correctly.

Post #2, Dec 30, 2010 16:34:46

Nick S.|5D Classic|Nifty 50 |35L|
Flickrexternal link

Fiddlefingers
Joined Dec 2008
193 posts
Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

I had that message once when I was twisting round trying to keep a flying bird in focus. I just switched the camera off then back on. It hadn't happened before and hasn't happened since. I never did clean the contacts. Not sure if I put too much pressure on the lens when twisting round which caused a communication problem.

Post #3, Dec 30, 2010 17:22:56

http://www.tomgilland.​co.ukexternal link

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,848 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

mdgrwl wrote in post #11543148external link

I'd suspect the message had "lens" and not "lense" in it. ;)

Seriously, you probably need to clean the gold-plated contacts on both the lens and the camera. DO NOT use an eraser to do that. Instead, use a clean lint-free cloth that's moistened (not dripping wet) with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). The 91% (or stronger) version would be better than the common 70% version. Carefully wipe off the camera mount contacts as well as the contacts on the rear of the lens.

Post #4, Dec 30, 2010 18:39:09

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

cancan7
Joined Jan 2008
502 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

something inside the lens is faulty. I had this problem showing up pretty often too. Just send it to the Canon Service Center. I just collected it last week and it seems to be fine now.

Be sure to send in your body as well as this error does not show up very often and the technicians may not be able to detect it.

Post #5, Dec 30, 2010 18:42:38 as a reply to Fiddlefingers's post 1 hour earlier.

5D III, 7D(gripped)
17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L IS(v1), 24L(v1) 35 2, 50 1.8II, 50L, 85LII, 100 2.8 macro, MP-E 65, Sigma 15 2.8 FE, 150-500, MT-24 EX, 580EX, 430EX
My flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
swldstn
Joined May 2007
939 posts
Maine
[MORE/SHARE]

I have gotten this with 5D MkII and my new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM but never on a Canon lens. In each case the lens had been in a cold environment and the problem went away when I got the to a temp above freezing. Is this happening when it cold at all? Just wondering and concerned that the Sigma has a problem at low temp which would be a problem for me since I live in Maine...

Post #6, Dec 30, 2010 18:58:35

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
WARNING "Communications between the Camera and Lense is Faulty..."
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES