Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of September 2005 (Sat)   #1
ghaleon109

Default Do I need a license to sell my pictures?

A couple of people asked me if I would sell them a print or two, but do I need a license to do that...? I mean I'ts not going to be the coppyright or anything, just a print... I wouldn't think that you would need one, but you never know I guess.

Thanks

20D and a lens or two...
ghaleon109 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of September 2005 (Sat)   #2
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Do I need a license to sell my pictures?

Not really.

However, some cities are very strict about businesses having business licenses. Some cities don't enforce it.

If you kept it "small potatoes" then likely the city will not seek you out to try to enforce some license law. Besides, you could claim that you were just getting reimbursed for your hobby expenses, and that it was not a business affair.

The thing to do would be to find out how your city handles it.

If you generated enough income from this, then the state and federal tax men will want to know, but for a "small potatoes" deal, nobody much cares.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2005 (Sun)   #3
ghaleon109

Thanks Bob, you always have great responces!

Well, since you mentioned it I did check the local city law and they said that as long as I don't make over $3,000 then it's only consitered a Hobby and I wouldn't need a license. However, if I go over that then I'll be subjected to all the legal issues that come with a business, but I don't plan on making that much because it is still really just a Hobby right now.

Thanks again

20D and a lens or two...
ghaleon109 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of September 2005 (Sun)   #4
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

I know of some photographers who have relocated to a different city and one to a different state, just to find the right place with suitable license and tax laws.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of September 2005 (Tue)   #5
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion

Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

In Iowa you also need a sales tax permit.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List
rklepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of September 2005 (Tue)   #6
vwpilot

Depends on what the print is of.

If its an artful print like a landscape or something, you are probably fine. But if it has trademarked stuff in it, you will need a license from them to sell it. For instance in shooting motorsports I need the permission from the sanctioning body, the drivers, the sponsors on the cars, etc. If its something like that, you might need permission.
vwpilot is offline   Reply With Quote