External power for a Canon Speedlite 580EX II???

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 01 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 22:48   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Gaarryy
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,067 posts
The Colony-- texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Just a thought for the OP.
A different direction to think about. Since you are inside the house and will be plugging it in to an outlet. Why not look at a smaller studio strobe? say an AB400 or 800. lots more power at the top end, and if you are shooting lower power good recycle times. Since you did not say if you are using the ETTL features of the flash, but it might be a fun way to go.

Post #31, Aug 06, 2013 18:05:04

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,613 posts
Channelview, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

It's been 2 1/2 yrs since the original post and he never replied one way or another...not even a thank you to all who offered help and advice.

Post #32, Aug 08, 2013 11:31:49

MaxPreps Profileexternal link

My Gear List

tongki
Joined Oct 2009
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

alyson wrote in post #11791919external link
thanks for the info rob! so what is the speedfire exactly? a converter or a battery pack

Canon high voltage input basically is a 330V DC current,
if we want to build an adaptor with the same output and using the same connector,
I think it is possible and easy

Powering Quantum flash is a bit different,
there are high voltage and low voltage, I am not sure with the low voltage,
My guess is around 8V DC, actually, it is similar to camera battery power,
which is around 7,2V DC

I think, they do have standard for powering the flash and the camera,
what makes it different is the connector and Amps

Post #33, Aug 09, 2013 08:55:56

EOS 70D x 5 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x2, EF 70-200mm x1
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x3, Ving 860 x1, FT-16 x2
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,499 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Quantum Instruments is right now offering factory refurbished Quantum Turbo battery (original, not 2+2 or SC, etc. which came out later) for $180

Post #34, Aug 12, 2013 18:20:03

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #16202478external link
Quantum Instruments is right now offering factory refurbished Quantum Turbo battery (original, not 2+2 or SC, etc. which came out later) for $180

Remember that the turbo is a gel cell SLA battery. There are special considerations required regarding charging.
For $20 more one can get a Cheetah Light 4500 which probably will deliver more pops and is a much better battery technology. It is also smaller and lighter.

Post #35, Aug 13, 2013 21:53:29

David | digifotografi tutorialsexternal link | dmwfotos websiteexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,499 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #16205987external link
Remember that the turbo is a gel cell SLA battery. There are special considerations required regarding charging.
For $20 more one can get a Cheetah Light 4500 which probably will deliver more pops and is a much better battery technology. It is also smaller and lighter.

Yeah, sealed lead acid has a far better ability to store electricity without self draining, like ordinary NiMH.

My original Turbo has an ordinary dumb AC adapter for a charger...the charge circuitry is built into the electronics of the Turbo.

Yes, the 4500mAh storage of the Cheetah will outdo the 2700mAh in the lead acid cell of the Turbo.

OTOH, you need to send in the Cheetah to the manufacturer to replace the batteries, while the Turbo battery refit is a do-it-yourself affair that only costs about $25 to buy the new SLA.

Post #36, Aug 13, 2013 22:14:08

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #16206023external link
Yeah, sealed lead acid has a far better ability to store electricity without self draining, like ordinary NiMH.

My original Turbo has an ordinary dumb AC adapter for a charger...the charge circuitry is built into the electronics of the Turbo.

Yes, the 4500mAh storage of the Cheetah will outdo the 2700mAh in the lead acid cell of the Turbo.

OTOH, you need to send in the Cheetah to the manufacturer to replace the batteries, while the Turbo battery refit is a do-it-yourself affair that only costs about $25 to buy the new SLA.

Wilt, I had a couple of the old turbos. They worked but, like all lead acid batteries needed to be kept at full charge.

The newer Lithium batteries are much more user friendly in that regard. Replacement batteries are less than $100 and they are ready to use. The $25 gel cell means a DIY replacement. Getting Quantum to do it used to be about $100. May be more now.

In the end, much better use of funds to by Lithium based batteries today.

Post #37, Aug 13, 2013 22:25:39

David | digifotografi tutorialsexternal link | dmwfotos websiteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
15,046 views & 0 likes for this thread
External power for a Canon Speedlite 580EX II???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES