How do I upload RAW images onto my iMac?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 02 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 19:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

MindlessConsumer
Joined Oct 2010
308 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Im not sure how to get them onto my computer.

Ive been using iPhoto to get my images off of my 40D and onto my computer. From there I just put them into a folder for processing.

I tried this after switching my camera to capture images in RAW and once i put them into the folder, it is saving them there as Jpegs :(

Im not sure how to get them onto my computer and keep them as RAW files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post #1, Jan 02, 2011 19:56:23

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Do you have Aperture or Lightroom or Photoshop? If not what Raw processor are you using?

To start out, you should install the Canon software Digital Photo Professional to process your Raw files. You can aso install ZoomBrowser and EOS Utilities -- ZoomBrowser can help you download them from a card reader and, possibly, your camera. EOS Utilities has downloading from the camera (as well as tethered shooting. Install these things using the software that came with your camera and then upgrade to the latest from the Canon site.

Post #2, Jan 02, 2011 20:08:46

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

MindlessConsumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
308 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have CS3, but by the time I can get the image to PhotoShop it is already a Jpeg.

And no, I do not have DPP. I bought my 40D used, so I didnt get any software. Is there a place to download it?

Also, there must be another way to upload photos off of my camera and onto my computer (an iMac) other than using iPhoto and a USB cable??

Post #3, Jan 02, 2011 20:50:05

Presha
Joined Oct 2010
481 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

MindlessConsumer

CS3 WILL NOT PROCESS RAW! iphoto, aperture3, CS5, your camera's software and a host of other software will process raw. As for transferring files to your computer, a card reader or direct connect from your camera is about the only way to do it.

Post #4, Jan 02, 2011 21:29:21

zone VI 4x5|Fuji 617|5dmk3|16-35 II L 2.8|70-200 II L 2.8 |

mguffin
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
2,592 posts
Allendale, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

You can use GIMP (www.gimp.orgexternal link), and download the Mac version and the UFRaw plug-in which is the RAW converter... Both free...

Post #5, Jan 02, 2011 21:45:53

Mike
Lumix LX100 ~ Lumix GH3 ~ 12-35/2.8
about.meexternal link ~ gear/feedback ~ flickrexternal link ~ eBayexternal link

sponsored links
S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
Joined Mar 2007
3,864 posts
Agoura Hills, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

What about getting a card reader and then just copying them into the desired folder? I don't see the imac converting them automatically if you do it that way. iphoto might be converting them. Or have you tried using EOS utility? It will pull them off the camera via the cable connected to the 40D. The simplest way is the card reader and the fastest. A no brainer really.

Post #6, Jan 02, 2011 22:40:01

ShotsInTimeexternal link / Gear List /Flickrexternal link / Canon Family Portraitexternal link
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

You need to update your operating system to a version that supports Raw files from the Canon 40D. I don't use Macs so I can't tell you the specific version number but I do know that on Macs support for Raw files is built into the OS.

The reason for this is that by default an operating system will not recognize a Raw file because they are not standard image file format like a JPEG. So until that support for a specific camera model is added to the operating system, it will not know how to handle those files. The alternative is to use a card reader to get around the limitation of the OS.

And whomever said that CS3 will not edit Raw files is simply incorrect. Support for the Canon 40D was added in Adobe Camera Raw version 4.2. So I'd suggest you also update your Camera Raw plug-in to the last version that was compatible with CS3 which is version 4.6. You can download and install ACR 4.6 from here: http://www.adobe.com ...sp?ftpID=4033&fileI​D=3759external link

MindlessConsumer wrote in post #11560569external link
Im not sure how to get them onto my computer.

Ive been using iPhoto to get my images off of my 40D and onto my computer. From there I just put them into a folder for processing.

I tried this after switching my camera to capture images in RAW and once i put them into the folder, it is saving them there as Jpegs :(

Im not sure how to get them onto my computer and keep them as RAW files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post #7, Jan 02, 2011 22:58:31

Gear List

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

MindlessConsumer wrote in post #11560942external link
I have CS3, but by the time I can get the image to PhotoShop it is already a Jpeg.

You have CS3 and, like was said above, CS3 will handle your Raw files -- you can do fine with CS3 until you get a camera from the next generations.

To download the Raw files to me the most efficient way is to use a card reader. Adobe does have a downloader which you can check out.

But, you also have the option of using the Canon software EOS Utilities.

And no, I do not have DPP. I bought my 40D used, so I didnt get any software. Is there a place to download it?

Check this site out --

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk ...stall_canon_softwar​e.htmlexternal link

Work through the whole page -- it'll have a lot of Windows stuff but also Mac stuff, incuding an "original" version that you can download and install. Then, you will be able to go to the Canon site for a newer camera and download and install the updates for DPP, EOS Utilities and ZoomBrowser, which has some interesting utilities which could give you quick alternatives to downloading your Raw files. You have to go to the Drivers and Software tab, select your OS, then individually run each upgrade.

And, make sure you go to the Brochures and Manuals page and download the Users Guides for each app you download.

Also, there must be another way to upload photos off of my camera and onto my computer (an iMac) other than using iPhoto and a USB cable??

Card reader fastest and simpler on the system. Camera, slooooower and prone to driver messups at times.

Post #8, Jan 02, 2011 23:50:58

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

MindlessConsumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
308 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Presha wrote in post #11561215external link
CS3 WILL NOT PROCESS RAW! .

tonylong wrote in post #11562054external link
You have CS3 and, like was said above, CS3 will handle your Raw files --

Im a little confused, haha.

Post #9, Jan 03, 2011 07:34:34

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,752 posts
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you tell us:

1. What camera you have.
2. What version of OS X you have (from the Apple > About This Mac).

Post #10, Jan 03, 2011 09:09:09

Gear list
"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.
Zeiss 35/2 for sale.

S.E.V.
Joined Mar 2007
3,864 posts
Agoura Hills, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tony-S wrote in post #11563512external link
Can you tell us:

1. What camera you have.
2. What version of OS X you have (from the Apple > About This Mac).

He has a 40D as stated in the OP. OS X is still unknown.

Post #11, Jan 03, 2011 10:53:23

ShotsInTimeexternal link / Gear List /Flickrexternal link / Canon Family Portraitexternal link
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

sponsored links
MindlessConsumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
308 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon 40D

OS X 10.6.5

Post #12, Jan 03, 2011 13:12:54

ArcticShooter
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,828 posts
Arctic Norway (Tromsø)
[MORE/SHARE]

Just use the CD that came with the camera!
It have all necessary software you need to download and edit RAW
Digital Professional Photo for editing and Image Browser for downloading the images to the mac
But as mentioned earlier get the card reader. It will be faster and if the imac have firewire that is the best option. If not get the regular usb reader

If your images still comes onto the hard drive as jpeg try to change the settings in the download window. You should find it under preference. I normally just move the RAW files to a new folder.

Post #13, Jan 03, 2011 13:45:44

Helge
Summer is great :)

My gearMyexternal linkFlickr external link
external link
G+external link

S.E.V.
Joined Mar 2007
3,864 posts
Agoura Hills, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

ArcticShooter wrote in post #11565116external link
Just use the CD that came with the camera!

He bought the body used and it did not come with any software. As stated above.

Post #14, Jan 03, 2011 14:00:29

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,752 posts
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

MindlessConsumer wrote in post #11564915external link
Canon 40D

OS X 10.6.5

40D support is native to 10.6.5. You can move the raw files from your camera to your computer using Image Capture in your applications folder.

Post #15, Jan 03, 2011 15:01:43

Gear list
"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.
Zeiss 35/2 for sale.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,919 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I upload RAW images onto my iMac?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES