Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #1
Mary G Photo

Default Blow Out, using Canon 5D Mark II in Studio

Hoping someone can help me with this. I have been shooting in my studio with my Canon 5D Mark II. I have a on camera flash and 3 studio strobes. Im using 24-135mm lense, Radio Triggers and a white backdrop. It seems no matter what my settings are, I have BLOW OUT. Causing all my image to look blown out on the screen. I have tried new lenses and settings, and this never seems to help.

If I changed my radio triggers for a diffent frenqincy, do you think this would help. Please let me know
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #2
paradiddleluke
Goldmember

Default Re: Blow Out, using Canon 5D Mark II in Studio

an example picture with exif in-tact would make it a lot easier to assist you

- Luke S -
Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #3
FJ LOVE
Cream of the Crop

take the flash off your camera and just use your strobes, your flash is probably doing it, also turn down the strobes, try a higher aperature and make sure your in manual with a shutter speed of around 125, also check your using ISO 100 not 1600 or something
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #4
Sam_M

Need example with EXIF, what strobes, distance to subject, modifiers used, method of triggering, etc.
Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #5
Roy_W

Couple of things come to mind,

Do you have a light meter, if so what are it's readings, have you measured the BG on it's own.
What ratio are you using between the backlights and the main lights ?
Which fstop are you working with ?
Why do you have on Camera flash - when you already have strobes. I am pretty sure that the on camera flash will definately be increasing the BG light?
How are your main lights orientated, do they also spill light onto the background ?
How are you lighting the BG, open strobes or with dishes/reflectors/modifiers ?

Cheers
Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #6
drdiesel1
Goldmember

What mode are you shooting in ?

Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #7
Benji
Goldmember

When using studio strobes you must shoot in manual and you really should have a hand held light meter so you can adjust each light individually. The in camera meter is worthless for studio flash units, and the histogram is also nearly worthless for judging the correct exposure on the subject unless you are shooting them on an 18% gray background.

Benji
Old 6th of January 2011 (Thu)   #8
Mary G Photo

I have be shooting with my Canon 580 Ex 2 and strobes. I have them all tethered together by a radio trigger. I have a hard time lighting my subjects 100% with Strobes (3 Opus H150 Strobes with Modeling Light), so I have been using flash also.

I just got a light meter, and I am trying to figure it all out so far. I usually shoot in Program Mode, and I am learning Manual everyday. I will try to post a photo tomorrow, to show you what the blow out looks like. Its very random when it comes up. Thanks for all the imput.
Old 7th of January 2011 (Fri)   #9
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary G Photo View Post
I have be shooting with my Canon 580 Ex 2 and strobes. I have them all tethered together by a radio trigger. I have a hard time lighting my subjects 100% with Strobes (3 Opus H150 Strobes with Modeling Light), so I have been using flash also.

I just got a light meter, and I am trying to figure it all out so far. I usually shoot in Program Mode, and I am learning Manual everyday. I will try to post a photo tomorrow, to show you what the blow out looks like. Its very random when it comes up. Thanks for all the imput.
I suspect that's the main problem.

Unless you're using say 4 or 5 580s, when you mix an ETTL enabled unit with manually controlled units, anything can happen, exposure wise.

Set everything to MANUAL, including all the flash units, and set your aperture to what you need, and a manual speed of anything from 1/60 - 1/250. Doesn't really matter as the flash duration determines the 'shutter speed' so to speak ... unless you want motion blur, then you'll need to increase the ambient light(s) and set a slower shutter speed.

BTW, if you're mixing ambient with flash, and/or using CC or SFX gels, set your camera's WB to a custom dialed in amount.
Old 7th of January 2011 (Fri)   #10
drdiesel1
Goldmember

Quote:

I usually shoot in Program Mode. Its very random when it comes up. Thanks for all the imput.

Shooting in Program mode is the first problem. The second will be using the speedlite in ETTL mode.
It needs to be set to manual mode, just like the strobes are.

I would suggest removing the the speedlite and just use 1 strobe until you get use to working with it. Then you could add additional lighting later

Last edited by drdiesel1 : 7th of January 2011 (Fri) at 01:49.
Old 7th of January 2011 (Fri)   #11
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
It seems no matter what my settings are, I have BLOW OUT. Causing all my image to look blown out on the screen. I have tried new lenses and settings, and this never seems to help.
Have you tried f/22? I'm sure it won't be blown out at f/22 Have you tried lowering your ISO, reducing the power of the strobes? If you are shooting in P, I can't figure out what settings you were changing. I'm willing to bet your shooting in P coupled with not knowing the basics of flash/strobe photography are causing your blowouts, and NOT your radio triggers.
Old 7th of January 2011 (Fri)   #12
drdiesel1
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Have you tried f/22? I'm sure it won't be blown out at f/22 Have you tried lowering your ISO, reducing the power of the strobes? If you are shooting in P, I can't figure out what settings you were changing. I'm willing to bet your shooting in P coupled with not knowing the basics of flash/strobe photography are causing your blowouts, and NOT your radio triggers.

If she's using P mode, it's semi automatic and the camera is only calibrating EV based on the cameras meter using ETTL with the speedlight.
Adding in the strobes will fool the cameras ability to control EV.

She need's to remove the speedlite and work with the strobes.

I would start with setting the camera to 1/125th at F11 and ISO at 100.
Set the strobes to 1/4 power and take a test shot.

You have a LM, so set it for 1/125th at ISO 100 and see what it gives you for an aperture reading.

Old 7th of January 2011 (Fri)   #13
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Mary G Photo,
Your camera meter would NEVER EVER meter studio flash...it shows only the proper exposure assuming only the ambient light is used to make the photo!

Please, stop portraying yourself as a professional if such a fundamental understanding of camera functionality is over your head.
Old 7th of January 2011 (Fri)   #14
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

I think we should cut some slack to her being the newcomer to this forum. I was a bit harsh in my earlier post which got some how deleted, I am sorry.
Old 8th of January 2011 (Sat)   #15
Mary G Photo

Thank you to everybody for the positive feedback, and ideas I can try. My shooting space is very dark and I was having a difficult time lighting my subjects with just the strobes, since they are only 150w and 250 w. I will try some differnt settings with out my flash and go from there.

Wilt, Negativity will get you no where is life... and calling me Unprofessional and you dont know me at all. I will disregard your negative comment.
Closed Thread