FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 13 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 15:33   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Bob ­ Sherwood
Joined Oct 2004
275 posts
Mississippi
[MORE/SHARE]

OK, I have done over 1,000 weddings since the early 80's and seen a lot of fads come and go. Back in the medium format days, I always used a Lindhall mat box and the double exposure/montage images were real popular. I'm talking about the ones made by masking off parts of the negative using positive/negative masks...bride looking down on the ceremony, etc. Well, I've been digital since 2003 and no one, until yesterday has even asked for this type of image. I had a bride and her mom come into the studio and of course, mom had these images in her album. I actually used to show a dozen or more "doubles" with each set of proofs. How in the world would I duplicate these images today without spending tons of computer time? Any suggestions.

Post #1, Jan 13, 2011 15:33:24

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
4,882 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

What I'm gathering is that you want to do a shot where someone in the initial frame is somewhere else in the shot. If you know how to use Photoshop this will take ten seconds.
1.) Take initial shot.
2.) Move positions.
3.) Take second shot.

Layer the shots over each-other in photoshop and use a layer mask to reveal the area of the second shot you want to be visible. As long as the camera didn't move and the exposure settings are the same you should have no problems. If you want to get more complex you can start dealing with shadows and such, but that's only if you feel it's necessary.

Post #2, Jan 13, 2011 16:03:43

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickrexternal link

fklimek04
Joined Dec 2010
120 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Buy a D3x... just sayin'.

Post #3, Jan 14, 2011 12:19:39

Digital killed the Kodachrome star!
With a list of gear like that, what is your excuse?

beano
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,145 posts
Berkshire. UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with Dave, wouldn't take you long in photoshop... It's what layers are for ya know. ;)

Just tap Photoshop blending tutorials into google.. Here'sexternal link an example.

Post #4, Jan 15, 2011 06:38:04

Scott

flickrexternal link

Calicajun
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
2,724 posts
Quartz Hill, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Beano, thanks for the link, it's just what I was looking to do.:)

Post #5, Jan 15, 2011 19:00:01 as a reply to beano's post 12 hours earlier.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Peacefield
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
4,019 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

I used to do these, also back in the 80's. It was real obnoxious because it would take one camera completely out of commission for a while. For instance, a common shot was the bride's head looking down on the ceremony. Well, you'd shoot the bride's head with the bottom masked off and could not use that camera again until you were up in the balcony shooting the ceremony with the top masked off. ugh!

Absolutely, there is no reason not to do this in photoshop now.

Post #6, Jan 17, 2011 07:28:33

Robert Wayne Photographyexternal link

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

"I'm sorry but we haven't offered that effect for 20 years, but i'd be happy to have our retoucher do it in Photoshop. There's an additional charge for this work.".

Post #7, Jan 17, 2011 16:02:10

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
Double Exposure
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES