Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of January 2011 (Thu)   #1
Bob Sherwood

Smile Double Exposure

OK, I have done over 1,000 weddings since the early 80's and seen a lot of fads come and go. Back in the medium format days, I always used a Lindhall mat box and the double exposure/montage images were real popular. I'm talking about the ones made by masking off parts of the negative using positive/negative masks...bride looking down on the ceremony, etc. Well, I've been digital since 2003 and no one, until yesterday has even asked for this type of image. I had a bride and her mom come into the studio and of course, mom had these images in her album. I actually used to show a dozen or more "doubles" with each set of proofs. How in the world would I duplicate these images today without spending tons of computer time? Any suggestions.
Bob Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of January 2011 (Thu)   #2
TheBurningCrown
Goldmember

Default Re: Double Exposure

What I'm gathering is that you want to do a shot where someone in the initial frame is somewhere else in the shot. If you know how to use Photoshop this will take ten seconds.
1.) Take initial shot.
2.) Move positions.
3.) Take second shot.

Layer the shots over each-other in photoshop and use a layer mask to reveal the area of the second shot you want to be visible. As long as the camera didn't move and the exposure settings are the same you should have no problems. If you want to get more complex you can start dealing with shadows and such, but that's only if you feel it's necessary.
TheBurningCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of January 2011 (Fri)   #3
fklimek04

Buy a D3x... just sayin'.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of January 2011 (Sat)   #4
beano
Goldmember

I agree with Dave, wouldn't take you long in photoshop... It's what layers are for ya know.

Just tap Photoshop blending tutorials into google.. Here's an example.

1D mk2, 50mm 1.8, 17-40mm f4L, 400mm 5.6L, 1.4x Extender, 430EXii
flickr
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of January 2011 (Sat)   #5
Calicajun
Goldmember

Beano, thanks for the link, it's just what I was looking to do.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2011 (Mon)   #6
Peacefield
Goldmember

I used to do these, also back in the 80's. It was real obnoxious because it would take one camera completely out of commission for a while. For instance, a common shot was the bride's head looking down on the ceremony. Well, you'd shoot the bride's head with the bottom masked off and could not use that camera again until you were up in the balcony shooting the ceremony with the top masked off. ugh!

Absolutely, there is no reason not to do this in photoshop now.

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all
Peacefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2011 (Mon)   #7
tim
Light Bringer

"I'm sorry but we haven't offered that effect for 20 years, but i'd be happy to have our retoucher do it in Photoshop. There's an additional charge for this work.".