Distressed Wood Background... how?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 14 Jan 2011 (Friday) 06:01   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dital
Joined Dec 2004
414 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi all, I'm looking to create or buy a distressed wood boarded panel that I can use as a floor or a background. My question is where would I get the wood from or how could I create the aged effect?

I'm in Manchester UK.

Many Thanks for any help,

Devs.

Post #1, Jan 14, 2011 06:01:47

Graphic Design Manchesterexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
suecassidy
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
4,019 posts
Huntington Beach California
[MORE/SHARE]

you might have a look at tongue and groove laminate flooring to see if they have anything suitable. I did this test shot to find a suitable blanket for a "hanging baby" shot and used this section of laminate flooring as a background. I assembled 10 planks for the shot, and then disassembled them afterwards as storage space is limited for me. I simply leaned the assembled unit against the wall with duct tape holding it in place. If shine is an issue, you can spray it with dulling spray, available at any craft store. I THOUGHT I would get shine from this but did not, but in going for a worn barnwood look, you might have an issue there.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #2, Jan 14, 2011 10:32:10

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
Joined Dec 2006
6,325 posts
Lebanon, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

I was actually looking at getting several styles of wood floor to use as backgrounds, too. One of the things I thought about doing in order to have a steady stand to hold the flooring was to get 2x4's and have a grove in them for the flooring to slide into once the flooring pieces were assembled. The 2x4's would have a base to support the entire "frame." This would all be portable, relatively light and provide a safe base for the flooring pieces.

Post #3, Jan 15, 2011 00:55:49 as a reply to suecassidy's post 14 hours earlier.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ....com&ctz=America/Ne​w_Yorkexternal link

alabama1980
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
1,213 posts
Gadsden, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

Maybe this?external link

Not sure how realistic this would look, but it would definitely be a lightweight solution.

Post #4, Jan 15, 2011 00:58:34

Name's Andy! :)
Facebookexternal link
My 500pxexternal link
asheltonphoto.comexternal link

egraphdesign
Joined Jun 2010
269 posts
Birmingham AL
[MORE/SHARE]

You mentioned create so I will assume you have some woodworking skills. The easiest and fastest place to get distressed wood is shipping pallets. Another source would be old buildings, drive around out in the country find and old barn or shed (one that's falling down) and ask the owner if you can have some of the wood

Post #5, Jan 26, 2011 07:05:03

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,471 views & 0 likes for this thread
Distressed Wood Background... how?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES