Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 14 Jan 2011 (Friday) 16:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF 100 Macro (no IS) with Cheaper Amazon 48x LED ring light

dirkkristen
131 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Jan 14, 2011 16:11 |  #1

Ok, so I've got my first set of gear on the way, and one of the main reasons I initially decided on a good macro lens was for my crystal photography (I collect, first and foremost, but also deal a little on the web..).. And wanted something a little more 'pro', hence the 550D and 100mm macro.

However, lighting was always one of my biggest battles, using two side lamps (slightly adjustable) with standard daylight lightbulbs..

While shopping and I suppose (although I hope not) impulse buying on Amazon, I saw the ring LED lights for macro for about $40.. So I ordered them.. It says they are the constant light, not 'flash' variety.. Now my big question is, based on the photos I've been taking (www.deksminerals.co.zaexternal link - Tsumeb, Erongo and Kalahari sections are good examples..), does anyone know if the macro LED's are going to be any good for me, or would a setup I see on the forums FAR more commonly (though, I see these are mostly of bugs..) be better (i.e ttl speedflash with diffuser) ?

Till now I've been using fairly ok Canon point and shoot cameras (most of the pics on my site are with a Canon Powershot A710, which I then upgraded and took a few of as well with my SX10is).. i think the results are.. Ok, and not bad for what I had.. But moving 'semi-pro', can anyone suggest what they think would be the best lighting rig for me to use? I have a decent tripod, though not sure how it'll fair with the heavier 550 and lens..

And and all comments widely welcomed!! :) thanks in advance, and, as per signature for the next month below, CAN'T WAIT! :D

Canon 5D MK II - Gripped
EF 24-70mm F2.8 L / EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS / EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS / EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro / EF 50mm f/1.4 / Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 / Kenko Extensions Set / YongNuo YN-468 / 2x 32 GB Class 10 SD / Manfrotto 055XPROB & 410 Geared Head
-=[flickr]=-external link -= [Facebook] =-external link -= [ Crystal & Mineral / Personal Website] =-external link

sponsored links
John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Jan 14, 2011 17:02 |  #2

dirkkristen,
I have never used the amazon led light but have used led lights for macro photos and the trick is getting the white balance right. Once you get the white balance correct, great results are possible :)
like this Rainbow Globes or this Sugar Cubesexternal link

Oh and welcome to POTN :)

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
58,921 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Worthing UK
Jan 15, 2011 00:25 |  #3

I'd guess LED lights would be fine for static subjects where you can use longish exposure times. Not sure though if you want flattish looking light that a ring light would tend to give unless you can switch off half the lights.
Brian V.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

dirkkristen
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Jan 15, 2011 02:58 as a reply to LordV's post |  #4

Thanks guys,

John - thanks for the advice on the WB, I was guessing that might've been one of the main issues if there were any (given the colour reproduction is one of the hardest parts when it comes to crystal photography..) I'll play with them when they arrive I guess and make a move from there...

LordV - Thanks also for the feedback! The lights luckily DO have the function of left half, right half or both.. (http://www.amazon.com ...003LYIZNG/ref=oss_p​roductexternal link)
Don't know what the implications of only using one half might be, and if the LED's are going to give off a blue white or white white.. end of the day i'm looking for the most natural reproduction possible. A combination might be my winner.. time will tell, I'll be sure to post some results when I have them :)

Either way I am also definitely keen on adding a TTL (though i'm quite confused on the difference between E-TTL and A-TTL... does the speedlight do both??),

Browsing Amazon, and post my already $2000 spend, i'm torn between investing the Kenko extensions (i'm definitely keen to give the super macro a go as well!), and the choice of canon EX 430 or the EX 270 (both seem to support ETTL and ETTL II ?

Judging by the results, the 430 EX is no. 1 on Amazon, if that's anything to go by, I'm thinking the answers mights lean towards that? Also an option for an $11 diffuser,
http://www.amazon.com ...TF8&qid=1295081497&​sr=8-7external link
(Sto-Fen OMEW Omni-Bounce Diffuser), or is this jsut a waste of time?

Sorry - I know a lot of questions, but I'm not sure who else to ask all this right now! A friend of my parents is coming down from the states (NY) leaving on the 23rd Jan to visit them in Cape Town (I live in Johannesburg presently), so he's doing the favour of bringing down all the stuff i've already ordered, so a) need to be quite quick in what
I do order (things are LITERALLY twice the price here :/) and b) not burden him with too much to carry!

CHeers again,
Dirk

Canon 5D MK II - Gripped
EF 24-70mm F2.8 L / EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS / EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS / EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro / EF 50mm f/1.4 / Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 / Kenko Extensions Set / YongNuo YN-468 / 2x 32 GB Class 10 SD / Manfrotto 055XPROB & 410 Geared Head
-=[flickr]=-external link -= [Facebook] =-external link -= [ Crystal & Mineral / Personal Website] =-external link

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Jan 15, 2011 06:13 |  #5

dirkkristen, well if I had to replace all my macro equipment (to put myself in your shoes). I would save some $$$ and get a Yongnuo YN468 flash as its much cheaper then the Canon models and gives excellent/equal results (to my eyes). I would also get an off shoe extension cord for the flash, a set of Kenko extension tubes and a tripod. These items with your 100mm f/2.8 will open up many macro possibilities ;)

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

dirkkristen
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Jan 15, 2011 07:40 as a reply to John_B's post |  #6

Ah! Great.. thanks John :)
Just the advice i'm after, as much $$ saving as possible is always best.. I don't however see any compatibility with the 550D / T2i , at least on Amazon.. Should I ignore this? (please excuse my ignorance!)
Ok - Edit - just read some reviews and one user confirms it works great with the 550! Unfortunately, due to the import from Hong Kong, and the limited time I have before my friend flies, I won't be able to order it before he leaves ;/ Will try to find another friend in the US who might able to post it directly to me in S.A.. but for now, I think i'll just get the Kenko extensions (as per recommendation). Already have an OK tripod, so will see how it handles before looking at maybe moving to Manfrotto which seems to be the cutting edge generally.. Anyway, thanks a million for all the feedback and looking forward to posting my first results in time to come!!

Cheers and thanks again,

Dirk

Canon 5D MK II - Gripped

sponsored links

2,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF 100 Macro (no IS) with Cheaper Amazon 48x LED ring light
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.