Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of September 2005 (Wed)   #1
Spearin

Default Ice Hockey tips?

So my first assignment for my university's newspaper, the Sheaf, is to shoot our hockey team's game this Friday night. It will be my first time handling a DSLR while shooting a real subject (I've only played with the 20D in the store) and first time seriously shooting sports.

Does anyone have any starter tips for shooting (ice) hockey? There are a couple of lenses that I can use, but I'll probably stick with the zoom one up to 200mm.

Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!

EOS 20D w/ BGE2 grip, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 35mm f/2, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 1.4x II extender, Speedlite 580EX
Spearin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2005 (Wed)   #2
DavidEB
Goldmember

Default Re: Ice Hockey tips?

Andrew --

good luck, you'll need it. See this thread for rundown on how to shoot indoor sports.

For choice of lenses, I've never seen a non-pro rink that has enough light for f4. f2.8 is a minimum. At my local rink the exposure is f2.8, 1/320 to 1/400, ISO1600 - actual mileage may vary.

For ice hockey, the action is exceedingly fast, so focus and anticipation are key.

Get in the penalty box if you can -- shooting thru marked up crummy glass is not the best. wear a helmet if you're in the box.

examples.... 1 2

it's almost face-off time !!!

again, good luck.
Old 15th of September 2005 (Thu)   #3
OnlyDigital

Andrew, I know this may be beyond reach just starting out but if you know anyone with an older 200mm 1.8L Canon Lens that you could either borrow or rent, give it a try. It lends itself perfectly to Ice Hockey and can be used for short periods of time hand held (its weighs apprx. 6.5lbs and I typically would use it with a monopod). jmho. Dave
OnlyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of September 2005 (Thu)   #4
Davan

My best suggestion just has to do with white balance. Shooting hockey games (small local rinks and NHL rinks) I have found that auto or any of the pre-set white balance settings don't give true results. Ahead of time set up a custom white balance based off the ice.
Old 15th of September 2005 (Thu)   #5
Alan Dye

All the responses have been spot on.

Most ice arenas have poor lighting and require a little extra attention to the settings. Use the fastest lens you have. I use a 70-200 2.8 Sigma, it works well in most situations. Be sure to set up a custom white balance and use a fast shutter speed. You'll have to play with the ISO to find one that suits your needs. Higher is better, but produces more noise. (Most can be filtered out later, I use Noiseware and it works well). Also you may want to bump the exposure compenstion. This trick will help alot!

Good luck and post a few pics when you're done.
Old 15th of September 2005 (Thu)   #6
smassey

Welcome to the world of Sports Photography, Andrew. Hockey is a difficult sport for many to follow, let alone shoot. You need to have a quick eye and and even faster camera to make sure you get images that capture the peak action.

Some things you want to look for are body checks, goals, and players taking shots on goal. Bench shots and celebrations can always turn out interesting, too. Since this is for your newspaper, anything that tells the story of the game would be good.

I have some good examples of images on my website in the Galleries section. Two of the pages in the hockey gallery don't work at this time.

Best of luck on your first assignment and bring back some images to share with the rest of us.

Canon 20D
Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer
smassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of September 2005 (Thu)   #7
JAnderson

Default Need help Ice Hockey Photos GOALIE

Hi,
I’m photographing hockey and inparticular my son who’s a midget aaa goalie.

I have a Canon EOS rebel, with a Sigma 2.8, 20/700mm zoom lens

My recent photos were dark and grainy….especially grainy.

I was using the AV or TV mode with AWB because adjusting the white balance just blows my 45yr old mind…to complicated.

How do I reduce the noise / grain?

Shutter speed?
ISO?
Anything else?
JAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of September 2005 (Thu)   #8
Alan Dye

Default Re: Need help Ice Hockey Photos GOALIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnderson
Hi,
I’m photographing hockey and inparticular my son who’s a midget aaa goalie.

I have a Canon EOS rebel, with a Sigma 2.8, 20/700mm zoom lens

My recent photos were dark and grainy….especially grainy.

I was using the AV or TV mode with AWB because adjusting the white balance just blows my 45yr old mind…to complicated.

How do I reduce the noise / grain?

Shutter speed?
ISO?
Anything else?
Try using the Manual mode. That'll give you more control over apature and shutter speed. Also set a Custom White Balance when you get to the arena.
You may have to tinker with the settings, But I had a 300D first and was still able to get some decent pics with the proper settings.

Last edited by Alan Dye : 22nd of February 2006 (Wed) at 15:43.
Alan Dye is offline   Reply With Quote