Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 19 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 22:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Some from my third wedding (second shooting)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009
San Diego
Jan 22, 2011 22:19 |  #16

dkim82 wrote in post #11695451external link
I wonder if one could get away with shooting weddings with those two- 50 and 85 - as first shooter though. I sort of get the impression that the first shooter's go-to lens is the 24-70L.

I don't mean to take away from your c&c space! But your thoughts?

Btw, your first shooter must have been thrilled with your contribution!

Not to hijack, but it is do-able along with your 17-40. I wouldnt do it, and really wouldnt recommend it for your first wedding, but it is possible. I read a thread once about a guy shooting an entire wedding on one lens and used the 50mm, but he has had hundreds of weddings under his belt.

Bryan
Gear Listexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photographyexternal link
Red Tie Photography Blogexternal link

ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009
South Carolina
Jan 22, 2011 22:29 |  #17

Was there any lighting used? Flash?

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

TheMaggedy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Austin TX
Jan 23, 2011 16:57 |  #18

dkim82 wrote in post #11695451external link
I wonder if one could get away with shooting weddings with those two- 50 and 85 - as first shooter though. I sort of get the impression that the first shooter's go-to lens is the 24-70L.

I don't mean to take away from your c&c space! But your thoughts?

Btw, your first shooter must have been thrilled with your contribution!

Thanks! It's really hard to say. I've done 3 weddings now as a second shooter shooting all primes and I'd say the 50 and the 85 were probably in most heavy rotation, but I also really rely on my 135 when I need reach and obviously there are times you must have a wide angle. FWIW if you can't swing the 35L I am really happy with the 28 1.8. I shot quite a bit of an engagement session today with it. I'll post some of those over on the lens thread after I've edited them.

I'm going to start taking on some weddings this year as a primary and have already realized that I must either rent or acquire a 70-200.

So, the 50 and the 85 most get the might play, but I wouldn't attempt a wedding as a primary without a wide angle and a telephoto. Even if you plan to have your second shooter cover the wide and telephoto, what if they have gear problems, or you lose confidence in them?

Lensrentals.com. Reasonable. Fast. No deposit. Sweet! I know I must sound like I work for them and I totally don't. I just love them :)

5D MkII | 5D MkIII | 24-70 2.8L Mk II | 50L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 580 EX II | YN560 x 2 | PW Plus III
http://mairimages.comexternal link

TheMaggedy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Austin TX
Jan 23, 2011 16:58 |  #19

obnoxiousmom wrote in post #11695553external link
Was there any lighting used? Flash?

I'm pretty sure I was using the 580 EX II on camera for all of these, even outdoors. We didn't attempt anything off camera at this wedding.

5D MkII | 5D MkIII | 24-70 2.8L Mk II | 50L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 580 EX II | YN560 x 2 | PW Plus III
http://mairimages.comexternal link

2,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some from my third wedding (second shooting)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.