Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #1
mastermind_h

Default 550D / T2i flash busy

I have been struggling with the flash busy signal on my new T2i. I can not take fast pictures with the continuous drive using the P mode. The shot rate drops down dramatically sometimes down to 1 pic/2seconds.

I was trying the camera in different settings at home when I realized that the flash was super fast as it should when I was close (within 6ft) to the object I am taking a picture of. When the object was further away such as taking a picture of our living room from the other side of our kitchen (ca. 15ft) the frequency of the pictures I could take in a given period was much much lower. In fact, as I walked away from the object, the frequency kept dropping.

Can somebody explain this phenomena to me (a very novice photographer)? May be the camera realizes the distance and flashes harder which decreases the freq. cause it takes longer to recharge. Is there a way to minimize the flash bursts?

Thanks...

Hakan
mastermind_h is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #2
soonerce

Default Re: 550D / T2i flash busy

Hakan, I am a novice DSLR owner as well but I have been learning about the T2i since I bought one in December. As far as I know, you nailed it on the head. The camera increases the flash output the farther you get away from the subject and when you do a full discharge it takes a longer time to recharge. This is true even when you get an external flash, as I have experience with the 430EX II. You might mess with the flash exposure compensation if you do not like the results you are getting, but as far as speeding the flash recharge up there is nothing you can do. One thing you might try to help the camera determine the proper flash level is to hit the * button where you right thumb would be - this button fires a test flash to determine the flash evaluation level (however, if it determines that the maximum flash is necessary you will still be stuck in the same boat).

Last edited by soonerce : 21st of January 2011 (Fri) at 18:19. Reason: FEL info
soonerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #3
mastermind_h

This has been a quite frustrating a few months for me since I used to have a Nikon D5000 that I exchanged to get the t2i. I never experienced this flash busy signal with D5000 so I was under the impression that there is something wrong with my t2i. So does it mean D5000 does not have flash exposure compensation or the flash for d5000 is better?

I was trying to take pictures of kids running around during my son's birthday party and it was quite frustrating to keep waiting for the busy signal to disappear before I can take a decent shot...
mastermind_h is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #4
tagnal

when using TTL, your camera is measuring the amount of light coming into your lens, then deciding how much flash is needed to get the proper exposure. so obviously, if your flash is having to fire off at a higher power, it takes longer to recycle (recharge) so it can fire again.
tagnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #5
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind_h View Post
I have been struggling with the flash busy signal on my new T2i. I can not take fast pictures with the continuous drive using the P mode. The shot rate drops down dramatically sometimes down to 1 pic/2seconds.
If you're using the camera's built-in, pop-up flash, there's nothing wrong. That's how the camera operates.

With the T2i and other DSLR's that have built-in flashes, the camera has to recharge the flash from the same battery that powers the rest of the camera's functions. So, the built-in flash will need some time to recharge. If you want a flash that recharges more quickly, you need to purchase and use a Canon external flash.

Even the best external flash needs some recharge time, and no flash can fire continuously without some recharge time. And if you push a flash too hard, it'll melt the electronics.
DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of January 2011 (Fri)   #6
kenshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind_h View Post

I was trying the camera in different settings at home when I realized that the flash was super fast as it should when I was close (within 6ft) to the object I am taking a picture of. When the object was further away such as taking a picture of our living room from the other side of our kitchen (ca. 15ft) the frequency of the pictures I could take in a given period was much much lower. In fact, as I walked away from the object, the frequency kept dropping.

Can somebody explain this phenomena to me (a very novice photographer)? May be the camera realizes the distance and flashes harder which decreases the freq. cause it takes longer to recharge. Is there a way to minimize the flash bursts?

Thanks...

Hakan
The built in flash has limitations, although at the same time if can be very useful in certain situations. I agonized over the purchase of an external flash and how much money to spend as a new photographer. I finally decided on this aftermarket flash instead of the Canon Speedlite.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-DF383-...5668331&sr=1-1

There are "slightly" better flashes for more money, of course the http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Speedlit...5668430&sr=1-1 canon speedlight 580 for many times the price is quite the flash, as well as the 430. Starting out I didn't think I get the best bang for buck, unlike lenses, so I settled for a less expensive flash that could do 85% of the high end for less than 50% of the price.