Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4801
KenjiS
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrPhotos View Post
Didn't you have a Nikon in the family or was that someone else?
Correct, Mom got a good deal on a Nikon D3100 18-55/55-300/35

so i wouldnt have to pay for the 35mm f/1.8 if i grabbed a D7000...shed probubly give it to me as she really doesnt like it too much

I'm also an ex-Nikon shooter, shot an N70, N75 and D70 (My camera bodies are all 3s or 7s somehow! 7D, 30D, EOS-3..) and a variety of really cheapo lenses....

Ergonomics-wise, Im equally at home after a few minutes to re-acclimate to all the Nikon stuff, I prefer one or two things on either, Lens selection wise Im well suited either way I suppose, the big hurt with Canon has been my bitching over "normal" lenses, on Nikon the lack of a 70-200 f/4 is a bit..concerning to me but I will just manage with a f/2.8 if i have to
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!)

Last edited by KenjiS : 22nd of February 2012 (Wed) at 19:39.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4802
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiS View Post
Correct, Mom got a good deal on a Nikon D3100 18-55/55-300/35

so i wouldnt have to pay for the 35mm f/1.8 if i grabbed a D7000...shed probubly give it to me as she really doesnt like it too much

I'm also an ex-Nikon shooter, shot an N70, N75 and D70 (My camera bodies are all 3s or 7s somehow! 7D, 30D, EOS-3..) and a variety of really cheapo lenses....

Ergonomics-wise, Im equally at home after a few minutes to re-acclimate to all the Nikon stuff, I prefer one or two things on either, Lens selection wise Im well suited either way I suppose, the big hurt with Canon has been my bitching over "normal" lenses, on Nikon the lack of a 70-200 f/4 is a bit..concerning to me but I will just manage with a f/2.8 if i have to
That 35 will work just fine on the D800 @ 16MP.
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4803
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
I gotta say..I'm tempted to change....Though what would you guys say...Better to say..downgrade to a D7000 at first and invest in some glass or pony up to the D800 from the start...
I'd pony up for the D800. You've always talked about it and Nikon has it in one complete package.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4804
KenjiS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
I'd pony up for the D800. You've always talked about it and Nikon has it in one complete package.
I know... I think its the dreadful thought of essentially starting from scratch with all my stuff... Which is why maybe I'd be better off waiting until i could get the cash together to buy at least the D800 outright so i could invest the Canon systems stuff into lenses...

its just in the meantime Im pondering selling the 28mm f/1.8..and just using my 50 more (Which i already do)
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4805
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop

May be a while before the D800 is readily available. You might just have that extra time.
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4806
KenjiS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
May be a while before the D800 is readily available. You might just have that extra time.
My source of income right now is doing odd jobs for my parents while i sort my medical problems out more... Im not exactly rolling in money, I get a bit together to get a piece of equipment or games here or there but funding something on the level of a D800 is a tall order for me...
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4807
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
I know... I think its the dreadful thought of essentially starting from scratch with all my stuff... Which is why maybe I'd be better off waiting until i could get the cash together to buy at least the D800 outright so i could invest the Canon systems stuff into lenses...

its just in the meantime Im pondering selling the 28mm f/1.8..and just using my 50 more (Which i already do)
Yup! Even the revamped G lenses(35 1.8,50 1.4 G, 50 1.8G, and 85 1.8G) won't break the bank.
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4808
KenjiS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Yup! Even the revamped G lenses(35 1.8,50 1.4 G, 50 1.8G, and 85 1.8G) won't break the bank.
And from what I'm seeing, my Canon stuff aint going to depreciate any more..

My 7D seems to have taken the hardest hit in the last year, Was worth like $1300, now i see ones in better shape than mine for $1000...
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4809
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop

It's always the body that takes the biggest hit. Some lenses appreciate with time.
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4810
KenjiS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
It's always the body that takes the biggest hit. Some lenses appreciate with time.
Yep...

I think for now im going to sit tight and either sell the 28 f/1.8 to my dad (He wanted one for his Rebel..he's not a 3rd party lover at all and he wont care about it as much as i will) or just force myself to keep using it

I actually just messed around a bit and got some hopefully interesting shots fro mit
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4811
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
My source of income right now is doing odd jobs for my parents while i sort my medical problems out more... Im not exactly rolling in money, I get a bit together to get a piece of equipment or games here or there but funding something on the level of a D800 is a tall order for me...
Honestly if I were you I'd hold onto what I had for awhile, first to see what Canon comes out with for the 5D MKIII and second for the D800 prices to drop from the initial MSRP. You have great equipment as it is so squeeze every penny of life that you can out of that 7D before upgrading!

Also, Nikon's 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR is a really decent lens with IQ pretty close to the Canon 70-200 f/4L (non-IS) in the 70-200 range. The build isn't as good as the L and there is definitely a drop in IQ from 200-300mm, although it's still ok at the long end. This image was from a D700 at ISO 200, 230mm and f/5.6.

Original: http://bobanderson.smugmug.com/Other...MQ3kc&lb=1&s=O

Last edited by Bob_A : 22nd of February 2012 (Wed) at 21:23.
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4812
jdizzle
Darth Noink

^Nice horse image Bob.
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4813
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
^Nice horse image Bob.
Thanks Julian! I had this one printed at 16x20 and was really surprised how well it turned out. Of course my wife said "Why did you take a picture of that? ... It's not our horse."

Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4814
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_A View Post
Thanks Julian! I had this one printed at 16x20 and was really surprised how well it turned out. Of course my wife said "Why did you take a picture of that? ... It's not our horse."
LOL! If it looks nice why not print it, right?
Old 22nd of February 2012 (Wed)   #4815
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
LOL! If it looks nice why not print it, right?
That's what I thought!

Hey, she may not be supportive but she also doesn't complain much when I buy gear!

Sometimes she does give me (small) jabs saying she doesn't understand why I have so many cameras when I can only use one at a time. I gotta tell you she has a wee bit of a point with that one since I do have trouble letting go of my cameras ever since kicking myself for selling my OM-1MD.

Closed Thread