FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family
Thread started 28 Jan 2011 (Friday) 08:09   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

keleko17
Joined Jul 2009
187 posts
Louisville, KY
[MORE/SHARE]

We aren't sure if this face is because of teething, or if she just likes to be sassy. When I posted it to Facebook, my mother-in-law told me that I needed to take it down. I know it isn't a flattering picture, but I wasn't trying to achieve a picture that made her look like a beauty queen.

Your thoughts? Good photo, or I can't beleive this guy would want people to see his daughter like this?

IMAGE: http://rivercityphotobooth.smugmug.com/photos/1162994334_ZkEh7-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://rivercityphotobooth.smugmug.com/photos/1162995009_7JZsD-M.jpg

Post #1, Jan 28, 2011 08:09:18

I compare my photography to my golf game. It only takes a couple of good shots to get me to try again.

Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ilovewater
Joined Jan 2010
184 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Haha, cute! I like these because they do capture expressive moments that you'll look back on and laugh and love. Babies aren't always perfect, why should their photos only capture smiles? The second one is a bit dark, but these should both be keepers for you.

Post #2, Jan 28, 2011 09:47:31

suecassidy
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
4,019 posts
Huntington Beach California
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll leave the technical issues aside and comment on the expression. Part of what constitutes a "good photo" is the feeling it evokes. I"m very surprised at your mother in law's attitude, but to each his own. I laughed out loud when I saw that first one, and remembered MY babies first funny expressions at that age. How I wish I'd have captured those, whether they were technically good or not. I think those are priceless expressions and they will mean even more to you and your family when that baby is grown up and has her own children.

I said all that to say this: those are priceless and I would definitely keep them up on facebook! I edited them a bit to crop out some of the background and converted them to b&w to see if it helped to keep the viewers eyes from straying away from those great fish lips. Not sure if I made it better or worse, just different? Very cute baby!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #3, Jan 28, 2011 11:11:46

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

tamaravphotos
Joined Dec 2010
74 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Aw it's adorable! As the mother of a 5 month old I know how hilarious it is when they learn those funny faces. I would share it on Facebook too! Your MIL sounds like my FIL, I just delete his comments.

Post #4, Jan 28, 2011 11:34:46

-Tamara- - Flickrexternal link
Canon 60D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS

blondine
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,273 posts
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

NOT FLATTERING? oh on the contrary, these are absolutely some of the cutest expressions I've seen on such a little cuddlebug! made me laugh out loud and wonder what she was thinking of the camera in front of her.....definetly keepers!

I would work on them a little tho, brighten them up and maybe add contrast.... B&W conversion is nice tho again I go for the blacker feel over the grey.

gorgeous little gal you have there...those lips will come into pouts that will make your heart melt in the next few years!

Post #5, Jan 28, 2011 11:38:22

Blondine

:D Canon 5D Mark II ~ EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 7D ~ Nifty 50 ~ EFS17-85mm IS USM

sponsored links
Grimlock
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,912 posts
Southern California Origin: Cybertron
[MORE/SHARE]

haha. Love that first one. The UWA was a good choice. Really adds character to that hilarious expression.

The only suggestion I would have is to adjust the WB. The tungsten lighting (yellow) needs adjusting.

Adorable shots, none the less. :)

Post #6, Jan 28, 2011 12:02:28

- Jerry | Zenfolioexternal link

| 5DMarkII | 15FE | 35L | 85L |

laurenblair
Joined Apr 2008
142 posts
State College, PA - by way of Texas!
[MORE/SHARE]

I love it! These are hilarious :) You'll definitely want to look back at these someday and have a good laugh...

Post #7, Jan 28, 2011 12:17:25

www.laurenblairphotogr​aphy.comexternal link
www.laurenblairphotos.​blogspot.comexternal link

Alex.K
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
1,570 posts
In the Mitten State
[MORE/SHARE]

Hahaha, those are TO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #8, Jan 28, 2011 12:47:36 as a reply to laurenblair's post 30 minutes earlier.

flickrexternal link
websiteexternal link
facebookexternal link
365/The Last Year projectexternal link

PEI ­ photonovice
Joined Aug 2009
64 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I love that expression!! So cute. If I had caught a good photo with an expression like that on my son, I'd be hanging it on the wall.

Post #9, Jan 28, 2011 15:01:18

JOSX2
Joined Jan 2011
617 posts
Triangle/Triad of NC
[MORE/SHARE]

that's an adorable pic! keep it on FB..nothing wrong with it! your MIL has no idea what she's talking about.

helpful tip to make it look better:
1) create a "friends List" in FB..call it "disregard" or something
2) Set your privacy settings so that that list is blocked from seeing anything you post
3) most important step...put you MIL in that friends list

now...the pic will look much better w/out her complaining about it!

Post #10, Jan 28, 2011 15:34:09

Jim O'Sullivan Photographyexternal link | Like 'Photos By Jim O' on Facebook!external link |
The Gear: |- Gripped 60D -|- EF-S 50mm f/1.8 II -|- Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM DC Macro -|- Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro -|
Lighting: |-2 Speedlite 430EXII -|- Pixel King Wireless Trasmitters -|- 2 Alien Bee B800 -|- CyberSync Wireless system -|- obligatory light modifiers -|

CanonRebellion
Joined Aug 2010
86 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Absolutely LOVE these!!! Tell your MIL to stuff it.
I love the perspective in #1 totally

Post #11, Jan 28, 2011 15:51:37

sponsored links
bbgeekchic
Joined Jan 2011
158 posts
Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

OMG I am a proud mother of 5. I agree with nearly everyone prior to me. Those are pictures to last a lifetime. I couldn't help but laugh when I scrolled to the first one..not because it was bad but because I LOVED it and remember the expressions that my kids made at that age.
I Agree, put your MIL in another group or just tell her to stuff it. She (your daughter) is going to be a heartbreaker when she grows up ;)

Post #12, Jan 28, 2011 16:02:00

Life is nothing without the love of a friend

albertaskater
Joined Nov 2010
347 posts
Calgary, Alberta
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm a mom too and I love stuff like that. Tell your prudish MIL to take a hike. lol - ok that's probably not wise, but I'd find a way to ignore it or nicely blow it off. I think the silliness in babies is absolutely adorable.

Post #13, Jan 28, 2011 16:25:26

Erika
7D, 350D, 18-55 XT kit, 18-135 IS, 50 1.4, 70-200 f/2.8L non IS, 430 EX II

Grimlock
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,912 posts
Southern California Origin: Cybertron
[MORE/SHARE]

So, you never really told us why she told you to take it down. And I'm rather shocked to hear she told you that. Because my entire family would beg me for prints of this shot if it were my child.

I don't get it.

Post #14, Jan 28, 2011 16:43:40

- Jerry | Zenfolioexternal link

| 5DMarkII | 15FE | 35L | 85L |

pixidance
Joined Oct 2010
297 posts
Eastern WA
[MORE/SHARE]

I LOVE it! No reason to take it down lol These kinds of photos show great personality, way more than pretty portraits do.

Post #15, Jan 29, 2011 00:53:50

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pixidance/external link
Canon T1i and 50 f/1.4

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,537 views & 0 likes for this thread
My daughters new facial expression
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES