Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Jan 2011 (Friday) 08:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Maybe there is hope yet...Dept of Homeland Security

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jan 28, 2011 08:24 |  #1

Photographers now officially free to shoot in public areas & outside federal buildings

http://www.crunchgear.​com ...utside-federal-buildings/external link

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
KaiserSose
123 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Jan 28, 2011 14:37 |  #2
banned

Anybody know where I can download that thing so I can actually READ it?

moose10101
registered smartass
1,562 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Jan 28, 2011 15:13 |  #3

KaiserSose wrote in post #11732604external link
Anybody know where I can download that thing so I can actually READ it?

http://documents.nytim​es.com ...ldings-from-public-spacesexternal link

JOSX2
627 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Mebane, NC (meh-ben)
Jan 28, 2011 15:59 |  #4

It just got posted to Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com ...ldings-without-being-shotexternal link

there's a link to viewing it on scribd.com as well

website: Jim O'Sullivan Photography (external link) | Facebook (external link)
The Camera:  |- Gripped 60D  -|- EF-S 50mm f/1.8 II -|- Canon 24-70mm f/4 -|- Canon 70-200 f/4 -|
Speedlights:   |- 3 Yongnou YN600EX-RT Speedlights -|- YN-E3-RT Transmitter -|
Studio Strobes:  |- Alien Bee B800 & B1600 -|- CyberSync Wireless system -|

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 28, 2011 16:29 |  #5

In Sept 2009 the DOT had issued this statement...http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10152213&postco​unt=32

Then in Oct 2010 there was an award made to a photographer... http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=11120725#post11​120725

In between (August 2010) was the listed policy statement.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 28, 2011 23:50 |  #6

Where does this apply to? Where I live (Australia) since I've been taking photos (not that long) you've been allowed to do this. And I think you've always been able to do it. Nice to see it's being applied to more places.

Callum Bright Photography; Websiteexternal link / Blogexternal link / Facebookexternal link

Wilt
39,049 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 28, 2011 23:52 |  #7

CallumPhoto wrote in post #11735363external link
Where does this apply to? Where I live (Australia) since I've been taking photos (not that long) you've been allowed to do this. And I think you've always been able to do it. Nice to see it's being applied to more places.

United States. It seems that a number of guards at facilities involving federal property have been a bit overzealous in stopping photographers who were taking photos of the federal building.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 29, 2011 00:03 |  #8

Oh I see, that's a shame but this bill (is that what you guys call it?) must have you pretty happy then.

Callum Bright Photography; Websiteexternal link / Blogexternal link / Facebookexternal link

Wilt
39,049 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 29, 2011 00:17 |  #9

CallumPhoto wrote in post #11735423external link
Oh I see, that's a shame but this bill (is that what you guys call it?) must have you pretty happy then.

That probably overstates the average person's reaction...it merely makes official what had previously been considered a right of any person to not be restricted in taking photos. The 9/11 terrorism has had a lot of repurcussions regarding the restrictions placed on people, the body searches and pat downs in airports, the stoppage of 'rights' in the name of counter terrorism.

For photographers, it states in writing our rights, and those martinets wearing security badges will have evidence which refutes their claims about restricted photography of federal buildings from public locations...the stoppage of 'rights' in the name of counter terrorism.

One photographer was told by transit police that he could not take photos -- although the photos he was taking were to be entered in a photography contest sponsored by the transit authority themselves!...again, the stoppage of 'rights' in the name of counter terrorism.

Valid prevention of terrorism is very different than false claims and the stoppage of 'rights' in the name of counter terrorism.

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 29, 2011 01:00 |  #10

Yeah, that's rough. Sometimes in some cases I feel like it's one of those things where the fear is lowering quality of life more than the actual thing that is feared. I would add an example but I know I would offend a lot of people and we would get off topic :P

Very happy for you guys in america! It's nice not to have to worry about it.

CalPiker
397 posts
Joined Oct 2009
33° 36' 26", -117° 55' 45"
Jan 29, 2011 02:05 |  #11

CallumPhoto wrote in post #11735423external link

Not really. It just means that we now have permission from the government to do something that was never illegal.

Gear List
Can I take your picture? "I'll swallow your soul!" Well, my camera will at least.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jan 29, 2011 02:08 |  #12

Hey, we're scrapping the Terror Alert color chart.

That's a good thing, right!?

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Jan 29, 2011 06:31 as a reply to FlyingPhotog's post |  #13

I wonder if inside a federal building itself would be considered a public place? It's funded by public tax monies and in most circumstances open to the public (with understandable security screenings).

Website (external link) |

GJim
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined Apr 2010
On the road, Again!
Jan 29, 2011 06:41 |  #14

This link will take you to a better copy of the document ... better for reading, better for printing.

http://www.nyclu.org ...2010%20%28redacted%​29.pdfexternal link

G'Jim c):{- ... 50D (Gripped), 7D (Gripped), assorted glass, sundry accouterments.
The beginner clicks the shutter and says "Let's see what I got." ... The experienced photographer thinks "How can I capture what I see?"
My Photography and my Blog: http://www.gjim.comexternal link

Wilt
39,049 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 29, 2011 09:16 |  #15

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #11736340external link
I wonder if inside a federal building itself would be considered a public place? It's funded by public tax monies and in most circumstances open to the public (with understandable security screenings).

At least in Washington DC itself, photography inside was never an issue (except for inside the actual printing area where there make the paper currency!). Which makes it even more ironic when someone in another city, with a much lower visibility building (like a city post office), would object to photographs being taken.

sponsored links

1,962 views & 0 likes for this thread
Maybe there is hope yet...Dept of Homeland Security
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.