Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Jan 2011 (Friday) 09:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Your Best "Nice Camera" Analogy

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 28, 2011 09:27 |  #1

One analogy I really dislike is, "Saying you must have a really nice camera is like telling a carpenter they must have a nice hammer."

I think the camera has much more influence on the final product than a hammer does so it's not a fair comparison. Unfortunately, I don't have a better analogy to replace it.

Let's not get into the argument whether it's the camera or the photographer, just come up with a good analogy.

Fill in the blank: "Saying you must have a nice camera is like saying _______________"

Put some serious thought into this and stay away from the common ones like "a chef must have good pots and pans" or "an author must have a great pencil" etc.

Lets see what you all can come up with.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Jan 28, 2011 09:43 |  #2

Not this again.:rolleyes:

"Nice camera"
"Thanks!"

Life goes one.

Simple...ain't it?

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008
CHiCAGO
Jan 28, 2011 09:48 |  #3

I agree.
It's laughable that people get offended when someone says "Your camera take nice pictures" when they scour POTN for hours asking questions like, what's better, 85L or 135L? or look at MTF charts like they will significantly change the quality of their photos.

Of course we have a nice camera! Why take a compliment and make it into some kind of insult that was never meant to be?

Using my 5D2 is far easier to capture some good photos than a regular P&S that most of those who say "your camera takes nice pictures" have. I didn't invest this much into my gear if it DIDN'T take nice pictures! :p

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'dexternal link

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Jan 28, 2011 09:51 |  #4

Sorry to be the third person to rain on your parade, but if people didn't think the gear they owned took great pictures, why did they buy it? I bought my favorite portrait lens because it rocks for the portraits I take. When people tell me that that lens takes great portraits, I completely agree.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 28, 2011 10:06 |  #5

Wow, calm down everyone. It seems all of you skipped right over the sentence "Let's not get into the argument whether it's the camera or the photographer, just come up with a good analogy."

I am simply looking for analogies, not trying to start an argument whether or not your camera takes nice pictures.

The reason: I hate the carpenter/hammer analogy.

facebookexternal link

DazJW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Teesside
Jan 28, 2011 10:08 |  #6

There's already a huge thread of these, something like "What's the stupidest thing someone has said to you about photography?"

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 28, 2011 10:12 |  #7

DazJW wrote in post #11730981external link
There's already a huge thread of these, something like "What's the stupidest thing someone has said to you about photography?"

Again, not what I am asking for.

facebookexternal link

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Leesburg, VA USA
Jan 28, 2011 11:04 |  #8

I'll play.

Saying you must have a nice camera is like saying your computer must not know how to just take a complement and let it go.

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Northern California
Jan 28, 2011 12:18 |  #9

I saw this in a comic in this forum the other day, something to the effect of...

Person: "Your camera must take good pictures!"
Photographer: "Your mouth must speak good compliments!"

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Canada (sask)
Jan 28, 2011 12:52 |  #10

Wow this soup is good!!!
You must have good pots.

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

DazJW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Teesside
Jan 28, 2011 13:10 |  #11

scobols wrote in post #11731001external link
Again, not what I am asking for.

The thread has tonnes of examples of exactly what you're looking for.

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 28, 2011 13:38 |  #12

DazJW wrote in post #11732107external link
The thread has tonnes of examples of exactly what you're looking for.

I know what's in that thread, I've spent a lot of time reading it. I just thought it would be fun to try to come up with some new analogies.

...apparently not for everyone.

facebookexternal link

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009
East Midlands, England
Jan 28, 2011 15:20 |  #13

Sorry OP - Call me thick but I can't understand what you're trying to get at that hasn't already been discussed on this site.

A hammer is a hammer, a toaster is a toaster and a camera is a camera - so what?

As for anybody being annoyed because somebody says they have a nice camera, they should gow up and get a life.

David

David

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 28, 2011 15:30 |  #14

Yeah, you're right. Who wants to have fun any more.

Shall we change this thread to something like:

Okay everyone, don't read or comprehend the original post. Just pretend you understand what he's asking and bash him for it. Whoever bashes him the most wins.

Oh, wait, that would be having a little fun so I guess it's not allowed here...

facebookexternal link

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 28, 2011 15:32 |  #15

The point of the thread was to have a little fun by coming up with a new analogy for when someone says you must have a nice camera, that's all. Nothing more.

facebookexternal link

sponsored links

7,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your Best "Nice Camera" Analogy
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.