Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of April 2003 (Thu)   #1
NILOLIGIST
Goldmember

Default 420EX Flash

All,

I got the 420EX flash and found that it is great. I took some photos and posted them but the response I got sort of hurt my feelings because they were blurry to the reviewer more so than to me. I decided to remove the topic I posted showing off my photos.

The comment I have about the flash is that it is great. Even if the photos I took came out blurry, I like controlling the light and how much brighter the flash is than the built-in flash.

So, overall I would say I absolutely love my flash. I don't think I will post my photos for a while at least not until I can take the feedback and right now I don't think I am ready. I really want to take fantastic photos but I don't.

My websites
http://www.frederiqueporter.com
NILOLIGIST is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of April 2003 (Thu)   #2
PacAce

Default Re: 420EX Flash

Hi, Frederique,

Don't take the comments too hard. I'm sure they were given in the spirit of trying to help you improve your technique.

It's ironic because I have stopped given comments because 1) I don't want to hurt someone's feelings if my comments are taken the wrong way, or 2) they may have wanted to do it that way on purpose, i.e. it's their artist interpretation.

Cheers!
Old 17th of April 2003 (Thu)   #3
NILOLIGIST
Goldmember

PacAce,

I know you are RIGHT, but my poor feelings are just a little hurt. I will just keep practicing for now, no more posting. That was just to painful, I tried so hard.

Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate.

-NO Big Smile

My websites
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of April 2003 (Thu)   #4
getg3

Niloligist,

Cheer up!

We are not pro, keep all positive comments and forget the negative ones. You took great NYC pictures, I don't think I am capable to do it (not at that level yet). So please, don't stop posting your pictures. I am still hoping you will be the first one to post your pic for the weekly/monthly photo chalenge.

getg3
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF-S 17-85 F4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 24-105 F4 L
Canon EF 70mm-300mm F/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
getg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2003 (Thu)   #5
NILOLIGIST
Goldmember

getg3,

Ok, I will post again but I just need sometime to recover. It was hard especially since I have not idea what I am doing, just relying on books and this forum. Haven't had much practice either.

I am going to autoshow and Macy*s flower show this weekend so hopefully I will feel better. Besides, some of the photos we see here have been edited with software for sharpness and I didn't do that, perhaps I will do it next time.

I am glad the post was bad, I will try and be mindful of the comments I make in the future if I make any.

Thanks getg3 & PacAce, I do feel better and I don't care what was said, I am new and still learning.

Big Smile,

My websites
Old 17th of April 2003 (Thu)   #6
xxlt

NILOLIGIST~~Now I feel Bad** I looked @ your pictures and I thought...wish I could do that. Sorry I should have logged on and told you that I enjoyed them. *They were Kool* I spent like 30 minutes checking them out. Thanks for posting the link!

bill from Ohio
xxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2003 (Thu)   #7
pappy

I agree and think they're great and appreciate you posting them as I do with all who post.

I haven't posted anything and won't have the courage to do so for quite a while.

As PacAce says, photography, as with all art is a very individual thing. Thank goodness we all don't like/dislike the same things, how boring that would be.

Keep up the great work.

Best Regards,
Peter
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #8
NILOLIGIST
Goldmember

pappy,

Thanks but I don't understand how to get clear, sharp photos. They look clear on the LCD but when I upload them to the PC, they look blurry. I don't get it and I am getting very discouraged.

I want brilliant photos too.

My websites
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #9
Doug in Alaska

Frederique,

I thought your night shot of the fountains was very good. I should have replied sooner but didn't have time until this evening. Keep up the good work!

Doug
Doug in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #10
NILOLIGIST
Goldmember

Doug in Alaska,

Thanks Doug, but I am feeling a little down right now. LOL ... It is just that surfing the net you see these incredible photos and I don't see how I can go from here to there with the way my shots are coming out.

After the first comment, I didn't want a 100 posts of the same. I just felt really bad. I haven't been using the G3 enough to be good, so that is my end result. Now, I am shooting more but my photos aren't better.

I tried PS and that didn't make them any clearer. Next week I am sure I will feel better, for now, I am a little low.

I went shooting today and the pictures came out so blurry, I don't get it. Macy*s Herald Square in NYC has a flower show so I went but the photos didn't come out so great. Yesterday, I went to Central Park and the photos didn't come out so great either. I just need time, the weather is getting nicer so I just have to go out more and get a tripod, and do some serious shooting.

Seems like I am having a pity party and you all showed up. Don't worry and thank you so much, your post has lifted my spirits.

Thanks a lot.

My websites
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #11
GordonSBuck

Some simple, probably obvious, tips ....

Blur could occur from inaccurate focusing or camera movement while the shutter is open.

Check to see if the "slow syncho" is "on" (a menu selected item). If it is "on" then the camera may be selecting a slow shutter speed. Note the shutter speed being selected (Av or P modes). For Tv or M mode, the camera is operating at the speed you selected, try to keep a faster shutter speed than 1/30 second or so when handholding (OK, now there will be a flood of email tips giving rule-of-thumb guidelines. This will be followed by a second batch bragging about how slow a shutter speed someone can handhold!)

Pay close attention to the focus indicator rectangle in the LCD panel. If it doesn't light up "green", the camera may not be properly focused.

For close-ups and macro, try to force a small aperture to maximize depth of focus. You can do this by using Av mode and dialing in a large setting, like 8. But again, be careful of the shutter speed and careful of the focus confirmation -- this can get very tricky. Also, I find that direct flash can be overpowering up close. Bounce techniques and/or reducing the power/setting of the flash is often necessary as the flash gets close to the subject.

Good luck!
GordonSBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #12
NILOLIGIST
Goldmember

GordonSBuck,

Thank you, I will pay more attention to the settings. I do feel better now. I am going to the autoshow, any suggestions? I guess there will be a lot of light, and I want to get clear focused photos.

Big Smile & happy holidays

My websites
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #13
Doug in Alaska

Frederique,

How about trying to find a '57 Chev' two door hardtop? Now that would make a great picture! 8)
Doug in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #14
DigPic

Default Ok...I am stumped...

Nilologist - I drew a conclusion that knowing the term nilologist and perhaps H.E. Hurst and his work, that it is not the usual youngster that knows about such unusual research. I have been reading the various forums for a while. I thought you were a kid, but I am getting more puzzled the more I reread some of the threads...are you an adult or a kid?

DigP
DigPic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2003 (Fri)   #15
NILOLIGIST
Goldmember

DigPic,

OMG!! Well, if you read some of my threads you would know that I am a very spoiled, self-indulgent woman, that is POUTING. Unfortunately I mistakenly posted my POUT here, for some reason NO ONE WILL LET ME.

I am not sure if you are trying to insult me but if by chance you are, I will just ignore you. I have found that people usually lash out at others when they themselves feel powerless or unhappy. Now, I am not saying that to mean you, just saying. Furthermore, I am not sure where the comment came from or where you were trying to take it but I think it was unnecessary. Hopefully, this thread will answer your question.

Remember, there is no reason to insult people no matter what your situation, especially since it won't help you.

Look forward to hearing from you more perhaps on a more positive note.

Thanks for the post.

LMAO@You...Sigh,

My websites